global collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• global collapse

i was filling up the car the other day and started thinking.what are we going to do when this stuff starts running low?it occured to me that oil in all its forms has so dominated our world that its virtually impossible to think of something that is not some how reliant on or linked to petrolium in some form.so what do we do when the gauge hits empty?and it will.
    i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Re: global collapse

Originally posted by terry patterson
    i was filling up the car the other day and started thinking.what are we going to do when this stuff starts running low?it occured to me that oil in all its forms has so dominated our world that its virtually impossible to think of something that is not some how reliant on or linked to petrolium in some form.so what do we do when the gauge hits empty?and it will.
    Go to energy cells and flood the world.
    (Water is a by product of energy cells)

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Vegetable oil?

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

my concern,is that we are all so unconcerned,my self included.i guess we can just hope the governments of the world will know what to do. :sleep:

Comment

I think the general lack of concern that is shown is contagious, and as a result it is making people very selfish - we are all living in the "here and now" and forgetting about tomorrow.

I'm not excluding myself from this statement - the world's fossil-fuel resources are being used up at an astonishing rate, global warming is becoming increasingly evident every year and no longer appears to be just a theory and yet not many people seem to care.

It's almost as if people are thinking that whatever happens to future generations is their own lookout. It's very sad, but how do you stop that happening? It's nearly impossible.

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

precisely my point.i think the problem is so dynamic,and all encompassing in scope that no one has a clue what to do.if nothing changes and we run er dry,i can see mass famine on a scale unimaginable in its scope.i imagine it might start with massive unimployment do to the shut down of many forms of transportation,companies will topple like dominoes causing the entire financial structure to come crashing down.not a pretty thought.lets hope the pubs stay open.

Comment

precisely my point.i think the problem is so dynamic,and all encompassing in scope that no one has a clue what to do.if nothing changes and we run er dry,i can see mass famine on a scale unimaginable in its scope.i imagine it might start with massive unimployment do to the shut down of many forms of transportation,companies will topple like dominoes causing the entire financial structure to come crashing down.not a pretty thought.lets hope the pubs stay open.
              Well for me; it is something that *I* can't change. It's literally a government thing. I just put pressure on the government.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

RE global collapse

I don't think it's as bad as the opinions expressed so far.

Two major auto manufacturers are comming out with hybred cars next year. They can carry a decent load and keep up with conventional vehicles on hiways and while accelerating, and the small engine keeps the battery charged with minimal fuel use.

Not suprisingly the leaders in this field are overseas where gas has been much higher than in the U. S. for years.

Comment

Well I for one would love to see other methods of transportation than oil. It would take away alot of power from the OPEC countries who play around with oil production to boost the price of crude. Further, it would slow down the contamination of the ozone layer etc... Would love to see a electric/hydrogen type of car one day.
                  http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

as the price of gas increases market forces will push people to develop, market, and use new energy sources. Please note that Ford is licensing hybrid vehicle technology from Toyotal now and soon will have a hybrid on the market.

oil reserves are not near depletion.
                    -On the west coast of the Saudi Peininsula is a oil field larger than the one currently in production. It will be more expensive to exploit though because it is not under press, so it will have to be pumped.
                    -there are still fields in Alaska that have not been touched.
                    -there are fields near off-shore, in deep water, and in the Gulf of Mexico that have not been touched.

oil companies have huge budgets for exploration.

modern oil production techniques can lengthen the service life of a given field by decades.

Current high gas prices are can really be attributed greatly to two issues
                    -There has not been a new refinery built in CONUS in over 25 years.
                    -The EPA mandates that different areas of CONUS use different 'blends' of gasoline. This is a major PITA for refineries. This adds to production costs and creates delays.

I grew up as 'oil field trash' in OK and still have a lot of friends in the industry in one capacity or another.

Comment

It’s not just transportation that depends on oil. Think of plastic, and pharmaceuticals, as well as lubrication to name only 3.
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Re: global collapse

Well,GM tested a car a year or two ago that runs on water. They built a concept car that was on the internet.

There's no reason we can't make the body out of ceramic, in fact, ceramic can replace plastic on many things.

BTW, want to cry? We had to lower the gas prices in Iraq last summer to 250 dinari per liter. There are about 1800 dinar in a single US dollar.
                        Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                        http://www.mormon.org
                        http://www.sca.org
                        http://www.scv.org/
                        http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Re: Re: global collapse

Originally posted by Janos
                          Well,GM tested a car a year or two ago that runs on water. They built a concept car that was on the internet.

There's no reason we can't make the body out of ceramic, in fact, ceramic can replace plastic on many things.

BTW, want to cry? We had to lower the gas prices in Iraq last summer to 250 dinari per liter. There are about 1800 dinar in a single US dollar.
                          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

They will always come up with a new source of Oil or someother fuel.

Eventually though we will exploit all the earth's resources, probably within the next 250-500 years. Even as that happens prices will rise.

End result is private transportation will be only for the very rich.

Trains will make a comeback and windpower and wavepower will be the norm.

OK not too sure about the timescale but something along those lines.
                            http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

---my concern,is that we are all so unconcerned,my self included.i guess we can just hope the governments of the world will know what to do. ---

That hurt my sides... the government doesn't really have any more clue than anyone else given their research and info is (significantly) bought and paid for by special interests representing various money making (ie. generally resource depleting) industries.

The best you can do is educate yourself, your family, and try to change your little part of the world. When it works for enough little parts of the world, things will eventually change.
                              If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X