French subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French subtitles

For some indescribable reason, I decided to watch "Dumb & Dumber" in French. Even though I did not enjoy it, I did learn something - you know what the movie's title is in French? "Frenchy & Frenchier":P

By the way, I would like to declare to our Quebecois members that any French-oriented comments have no reference to them. The few Quebecois I have met are people that I would not meeting again. I would especially like to single out the two gentlemen (of course I can't remember their names) who were so kind as to direct me from the train station to The Forum some years ago.
    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Re: French subtitles

Originally posted by hogdriver
    For some indescribable reason, I decided to watch "Dumb & Dumber" in French. Even though I did not enjoy it, I did learn something - you know what the movie's title is in French? "Frenchy & Frenchier":P

By the way, I would like to declare to our Quebecois members that any French-oriented comments have no reference to them. The few Quebecois I have met are people that I would not meeting again. I would especially like to single out the two gentlemen (of course I can't remember their names) who were so kind as to direct me from the train station to The Forum some years ago.
    Hog

Being a Québecois, I don't even consider myself French in the European sense of the nation. We are miles apart and sometimes, I don't understand their french and they don't understand mine!
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: French subtitles

Originally posted by hogdriver
      If there was ever a definition of "bravery", then surely it is this. I am amazed and awed that you should expose yourself to such dangers, simply in an effort to gain valuable intelligence about the enemy. Sir, I salute you. :bowdown:

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Re: French subtitles

Originally posted by dannybou
        Hog

Being a Québecois, I don't even consider myself French in the European sense of the nation. We are miles apart and sometimes, I don't understand their french and they don't understand mine!
        Dannybou,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Quebec French spoken today more simular to the language spoken in 17th Century France tha what is spoken in France today?

I think that is ironic because the French are so worried about protecting their language from the influx of words from other languages (especially English) when they're not even the bastion of the true French language.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: French subtitles

Originally posted by Lance Williams
          Dannybou,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Quebec French spoken today more simular to the language spoken in 17th Century France tha what is spoken in France today?

I think that is ironic because the French are so worried about protecting their language from the influx of words from other languages (especially English) when they're not even the bastion of the true French language.
          It depends on who you talk to but that is my understanding. While their "french" evolved into what it is today, ours stagnated probably due to the early british years and their occupation after Quebec in 1760. Everytime I meet French people, they always assume that we are distant cousins, and I always make the point of telling them, "I'm not your cousin!! " After serving 9 months in North Mitrovica in Kosovo I had the........... pleasure or displeasure (no, no, go back to your happy place!! Sorry went off for a bit. Could tell you stories about the Glorious French Army but I'll refrain out of respect to our French members.)............ of serving my mission with the French Army. More often than none, we did understand each other but only if both of us spoke slower than normal and used common expressions. As you know, over here in Canada we speak with some english words in our phrases all the time. And when they use terms that we very seldom use in Canada, we just say "Huh?"
          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: French subtitles

Originally posted by dannybou
            And when they use terms that we very seldom use in Canada, we just say "Huh?"
            Unlike us Americans who think that if we spoke SLOWER and LOUDER than anybody else we can be understood.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: French subtitles

Originally posted by RStory
              Unlike us Americans who think that if we spoke SLOWER and LOUDER than anybody else we can be understood.
              Oh, we do that in England as well. Works every time (not). I always wondered why they needed Universal Translators in Star Trek - if they had just shouted at the alien cloud/energy being, they could have got talking to it in no time.

Dr. S.
              Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X