• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain to buy 64 US Tomahawk Cruise Missiles

LONDON
    strategicvision
    04/20/04

Britain will buy 64 US-made Tomahawk missiles for use on Royal Navy submarines for a total 70 million pounds (105 million euros / 125 million dollars), the Ministry of Defence said Wednesday.

Under Secretary of State and Minister for Defence Procurement Lord Bach said the cruise missiles would be fitted with non-nuclear warheads.

Some British submarines already boast first-generation Tomahawks.

The new TLAM/Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles can be fired from the seven Trafalgar class nuclear attack submarines (SNA) which are already in service, said Bach.

They will also be fitted onto future Astute class SNAs once they are operational.

The Tomahawks are made by the Massachusetts-based Raytheon company, a world leader in developing defence technologies.

British submarines have fired Tomahawk missiles during conflicts in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq
    I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
    -Lou Chiafullo

Re: Britain to buy 64 US Tomahawk Cruise Missiles

Originally posted by Geeky Nerd
    LONDON
    strategicvision
    04/20/04

Britain will buy 64 US-made Tomahawk missiles for use on Royal Navy submarines for a total 70 million pounds (105 million euros / 125 million dollars), the Ministry of Defence said Wednesday.

Under Secretary of State and Minister for Defence Procurement Lord Bach said the cruise missiles would be fitted with non-nuclear warheads.

Some British submarines already boast first-generation Tomahawks.

The new TLAM/Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles can be fired from the seven Trafalgar class nuclear attack submarines (SNA) which are already in service, said Bach.

They will also be fitted onto future Astute class SNAs once they are operational.

The Tomahawks are made by the Massachusetts-based Raytheon company, a world leader in developing defence technologies.

British submarines have fired Tomahawk missiles during conflicts in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq
    This, and the fact that the Royal Navy is getting 2 new large flat tops....

The Royal Navy is finally coming back into the real power-projection fold.

I thought it sucked when they got rid of their Buccaneer and Phantom-equiped fixed wing CTOL flat tops in the late 1970's to go for the Harrier equiped Invincible class.
    "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

Comment

Re: Re: Britain to buy 64 US Tomahawk Cruise Missiles

Originally posted by hellodoggie

I thought it sucked when they got rid of their Buccaneer and Phantom-equiped fixed wing CTOL flat tops in the late 1970's to go for the Harrier equiped Invincible class.
      They are capable ships, and the Harrier is a combat-proven plane, but they are very much a "second best".

It's also very disconcerting when you are on board a Cross-Channel ferry leaving Portsmouth Harbour and looking DOWN onto an Aircraft Carrier half the size of the ship you are on!

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Britain to buy 64 US Tomahawk Cruise Missiles

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
        They are capable ships, and the Harrier is a combat-proven plane, but they are very much a "second best".

It's also very disconcerting when you are on board a Cross-Channel ferry leaving Portsmouth Harbour and looking DOWN onto an Aircraft Carrier half the size of the ship you are on!

Dr. S.
        Yeah, I know what you mean

We used to have the Melbourne, a light carrier, which is now in a Chinese port being studied, instead of being scrapped, like it was supposed to be, thatnks to the Labour Government of the time.

That looked like a floating bathtub compared to, say even the smaller flattops the Yanks used to have, such as the Midway class.:spill:
        "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

Comment

Are those new Tomahawks or used ones?

Comment

Used Tomahawks? I think I'd pass on a used one that obviously didn't work.
            If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Re: Re: Britain to buy 64 US Tomahawk Cruise Missiles

Originally posted by hellodoggie

I've known these two carriers were under construction, but I haven't seen any specs on them. Anyone have a link that might list some info? In size how do they compare to US carriers.
              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Britain to buy 64 US Tomahawk Cruise Missiles

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                I've known these two carriers were under construction, but I haven't seen any specs on them. Anyone have a link that might list some info? In size how do they compare to US carriers.
                Lance,
                Try this site.

http://www.mod.uk/dpa/projects/cvf.htm

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X