Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self control is a virtue not all countries have!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self control is a virtue not all countries have!

To all my friends out there who may be taken in by the anti-war crowd and liberals out there, this is an interesting article

Article from London's Daily Mirror

Surprise! Surprise! When one of the world's most liberal left wing
    newspapers writes a great article like this, there is hope for everyone. A
    thoughtfully written piece in one of the most left wing newspapers in the
    UK. Just a word of background for those of you who aren't familiar with the UK's
    Daily Mirror. This is one of the most notorious Left wing,
    anti-American dailies in the UK. Hard to believe that the Daily Mirror
    actually published it, but it did.

Begin article:

ONE year ago, the world witnessed a unique kind of broadcasting - the mass
    murder of thousands, live on television. As a lesson in the pitiless cruelty of
    the human race, September 11 was up there with Pol Pot's mountain of skulls in
    Cambodia, or the skeletal bodies stacked like garbage in the Nazi concentration
    camps.

An unspeakable act so cruel, so calculated and so utterly merciless that
    surely the world could agree on one thing - nobody deserves this fate.
    Surely there could be consensus: the victims were truly innocent, the
    perpetrators truly evil. But to the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is
    increasingly seen as America's comeuppance [deserved reprimand or
    punishment].

Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last year. There has
    always been a simmering resentment to the USA in this country -- too loud,
    too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans - but it has
    become an epidemic. And it seems incredible to me. More than that, it turns my
    stomach. America is this country's greatest friend and our
    staunchest ally. We are bonded to the US by culture, language and blood.

A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died for
    our freedoms, as well as their own. Have we forgotten so soon?

And exactly a year ago, thousands of ordinary men, women and children - not just
    Americans, but from dozens of countries - were butchered by a small group of
    religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?

What touched the heart about those who died in the twin towers and on the
    planes was that we recognized them. Young fathers and mothers, somebody's
    son and somebody's daughter, husbands and wives. And children. Some unborn. And
    these people brought it on themselves? And their nation is to blame for their
    meticulously planned slaughter?

These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in Kabul or
    Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan. The
    anti-American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame the
    Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering from
    power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it likes without
    having to ask permission.

The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since
    September 11. Remember, remember.

Remember the gut-wrenching tapes of weeping men phoning their wives to say, "I
    love you," before they were burned alive. Remember those people leaping to their
    deaths from the top of burning skyscrapers. Remember the hundreds of firemen
    buried alive. Remember the smiling face of that beautiful little girl who was on
    one of the planes with her mum. Remember, remember - and realize that America
    has never retaliated for 9/11 in anything like the way it could have. So, a
    few al-Qaeda tourists got locked up without a trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the
    Kleenex. So, some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after they merrily
    fired their semi-automatics in a sky full of American planes? A shame, but maybe
    next time they should stick to confetti.

AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot.
    That it didn't is a sign of strength.

American voices are already being raised against attacking Iraq - that's
    what a democracy is for. How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's
    silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will
    have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?

When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving
    Palestinians were dancing in the street. America watched all of that - and
    didn't push the button. We should thank the stars that America is the most
    powerful nation in the world. I still find it incredible that 9/11 did not
    provoke all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism". A real war.

The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of hell" if
    America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hell like you
    wouldn't believe. The US is the most militarily powerful nation that ever strode
    the face of the earth. The campaign in Afghanistan may have been less than
    perfect and the planned war on Iraq may be misconceived.

But don't blame America for not bringing peace and light to these wretched
    countries. How many democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the
    Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of one hand - assuming you
    haven't had any chopped off for minor shoplifting.

I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle.
    But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh. Above all,
    America is hated because it is what every country wants to be - rich, free,
    strong, open, optimistic. Not ground down by the past, or religion, or some
    caste system. America is the best friend this country ever had and we should
    start remembering that.

Or do you really think the USA is the root of all evil? Tell it to the loved
    ones of the men and women who leaped to their death from the burning towers.
    Tell it to the nursing mothers whose husbands died on one of the hijacked
    planes, or were ripped apart in a collapsing skyscraper. And tell it to the
    hundreds of young widows whose husbands worked for the New York Fire Department.
    To our shame, George Bush gets a worse press than Saddam
    Hussein.

Once we were told that Saddam gassed the Kurds, tortured his own people and set
    up rape-camps in Kuwait. Now we are told he likes Quality Street. Save me the
    orange centre, oh mighty one!

Remember, remember, September 11. One of the greatest atrocities in human
    history was committed against America.

No, do more than remember. Never forget.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THE FREE WORLD AND MERCY ON THE REST!!!
    "Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead"

New Europe Joins Iraq Coalition

Blair wins European support on Iraq

By Jeremy Lovell

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Tony Blair and seven other European leaders have called time on Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, breaking ranks with France and Germany and lending much needed diplomatic support to U.S. President George W. Bush.

In an article in the Times and several other newspapers across Europe the leaders of EU members Britain, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Denmark and applicants Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic, appealed for unity in the 16-nation bloc.

"The transatlantic relationship must not become a casualty of the current Iraqi regime's persistent attempts to threaten world security," the eight leaders wrote. "Our strength lies in unity.

"The Iraqi regime and its weapons of mass destruction represent a clear threat to world security," the premiers wrote in a thinly-veiled appeal to doubters French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder to join up.

Blair, Bush's closest ally in the war on terror he declared after the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington, has been battling to persuade his EU counterparts to back Bush's hardline stance toward Iraq.

The article signed by Italy's Silvio Berlusconi, Spain's Jose Maria Aznar, Portugal's Jose Barroso, Denmark's Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Czech Republic's Vaclav Havel, Poland's Leszek Miller and Hungary's Peter Medgyessy will provide welcome relief.

More importantly, the idea for the joint article originated not with Blair but with Aznar.

Blair met Berlusconi in London on Wednesday evening and is due to drop in on Aznar on Thursday on his way to meet Bush at Camp David on Friday for what many believe will be final talks to fine-tune strategy before war starts with Iraq.

The eight European leaders said it was vital that all EU nations were seen to support U.N. resolution 1441 which paved the way for weapons inspectors to re-enter Iraq and resume their search for chemical, nuclear and biological arms.

"We sent a clear, firm and unequivocal message that we would rid the world of the danger posed by Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction. We must remain united in insisting that his regime is disarmed," they wrote.

Hans Blix, the U.N.'s chief weapons inspector, said on Monday quantities of anthrax, nerve gas and chemical weapons warheads remained unaccounted for, and accused the Iraqi government of hampering the investigations at every turn.

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Wednesday he would next week present evidence proving Iraq still had weapons of mass destruction as well as linking Baghdad to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network.

But Germany's Schroeder insisted that even if Washington, which is pouring troops and armour into the Gulf, did provide conclusive proof of its claims on February 5, he would still bid to avoid war with Baghdad.

But the eight leaders, stating that they had no quarrel with the Iraqi people, begged to differ, arguing that a failure by Iraq to comply with the U.N. Security Council resolutions undermined the body and threatened the world.

"Our goal is to safeguard world peace and security by ensuring that this regime gives up its weapons of mass destruction. Our governments have a common responsibility to face this threat," they wrote.

Reuters
    Last edited by Chuck?; 30 Jan 03, 02:54.
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

That is why I buy the Mirror to keep as an emergency toilet paper.

Comment

here is the real Daily Mirror.
        Attached Files

Comment

Re:

How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's
          silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will
          have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?

I just have to say this. The guy who sat beside me in work was on holidays in Egypt at the time of Sept. 11th. A few days after that terrible event the Government there decreed
          that a public minutes silence would be observed throughout the country as a mark of respect of the victims. My friend told me that traffic throughout Cairo came to a halt at the appropriate time and that many people got out of their cars and stood for the minute in silence.

BTW The Daily Mirror is a rag; along with The Star and the Sun they are the worst papers in Britain. They sell huge numbers. Shame to say but they sell pretty well in Ireland too.
          http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

In case you haven't actually seen the article written by the "gang of 8" here it is:

United We Stand
            Eight European leaders are as one with President Bush.

Thursday, January 30, 2003 12:01 a.m. EST

(Editor's note: This article is written by Jose María Aznar, Jose-Manuel Durão Barroso, Silvio Berlusconi, Tony Blair, Vaclav Havel, Peter Medgyessy, Leszek Miller and Anders Fogh Rasmussen.)

The real bond between the U.S. and Europe is the values we share: democracy, individual freedom, human rights and the rule of law. These values crossed the Atlantic with those who sailed from Europe to help create the United States of America. Today they are under greater threat than ever.

The attacks of Sept. 11 showed just how far terrorists--the enemies of our common values--are prepared to go to destroy them. Those outrages were an attack on all of us. In standing firm in defense of these principles, the governments and people of the U.S. and Europe have amply demonstrated the strength of their convictions. Today more than ever, the trans-Atlantic bond is a guarantee of our freedom.

We in Europe have a relationship with the U.S. which has stood the test of time. Thanks in large part to American bravery, generosity and farsightedness, Europe was set free from the two forms of tyranny that devastated our continent in the 20th century: Nazism and communism. Thanks, too, to the continued cooperation between Europe and the U.S. we have managed to guarantee peace and freedom on our continent. The trans-Atlantic relationship must not become a casualty of the current Iraqi regime's persistent attempts to threaten world security.

In today's world, more than ever before, it is vital that we preserve that unity and cohesion. We know that success in the day-to-day battle against terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction demands unwavering determination and firm international cohesion on the part of all countries for whom freedom is precious.
            The Iraqi regime and its weapons of mass destruction represent a clear threat to world security. This danger has been explicitly recognized by the U.N. All of us are bound by Security Council Resolution 1441, which was adopted unanimously. We Europeans have since reiterated our backing for Resolution 1441, our wish to pursue the U.N. route, and our support for the Security Council at the Prague NATO Summit and the Copenhagen European Council.

In doing so, we sent a clear, firm and unequivocal message that we would rid the world of the danger posed by Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction. We must remain united in insisting that his regime be disarmed. The solidarity, cohesion and determination of the international community are our best hope of achieving this peacefully. Our strength lies in unity.

The combination of weapons of mass destruction and terrorism is a threat of incalculable consequences. It is one at which all of us should feel concerned. Resolution 1441 is Saddam Hussein's last chance to disarm using peaceful means. The opportunity to avoid greater confrontation rests with him. Sadly this week the U.N. weapons inspectors have confirmed that his long-established pattern of deception, denial and noncompliance with U.N. Security Council resolutions is continuing.

Europe has no quarrel with the Iraqi people. Indeed, they are the first victims of Iraq's current brutal regime. Our goal is to safeguard world peace and security by ensuring that this regime gives up its weapons of mass destruction. Our governments have a common responsibility to face this threat. Failure to do so would be nothing less than negligent to our own citizens and to the wider world.
            The U.N. Charter charges the Security Council with the task of preserving international peace and security. To do so, the Security Council must maintain its credibility by ensuring full compliance with its resolutions. We cannot allow a dictator to systematically violate those resolutions. If they are not complied with, the Security Council will lose its credibility and world peace will suffer as a result. We are confident that the Security Council will face up to its responsibilities.

Messrs. Aznar, Durão Barroso, Berlusconi, Blair, Medgyessy, Miller and Fogh Rasmussen are, respectively, the prime ministers of Spain, Portugal, Italy, the U.K., Hungary, Poland and Denmark. Mr. Havel is the Czech president.

Comment

Canada to Inspect USA for WMD

OTTAWA, Jan 30 (Reuters) - A left-leaning Canadian legislator, infuriated by what she calls Washington's hypocrisy over Iraq, said on Thursday she would lead a team of volunteer arms "inspectors" to the United States next month to seek out weapons of mass destruction.

Libby Davies, member of Parliament for the New Democratic Party, said U.S. President George W. Bush posed just as much danger to the world as Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, who faces the prospect of an imminent U.S.-led attack.

"Our action challenges the hypocrisy of the U.S. president's stance on weapons of mass destruction," she said.

"Our mission is to draw attention to the fact that there are weapons of mass destruction -- for example, about 15,000 nuclear warheads -- in the United States that pose a massive threat to global peace," she told reporters.

Davies, acting on behalf of a new international coalition called Rooting Out Evil, said the inspectors would travel to the Washington area on Feb. 22.

Coalition organizers said the United States was guilty of the same charges it had leveled against Iraq -- namely, it had massive stockpiles of deadly weapons, was ignoring the United Nations and refused to honor international treaties.

"We're following Bush's lead and demanding that the U.S. grant our inspectors immediate and unfettered access to any site in the country," said Rooting Out Evil organizer Christy Ferguson, adding the group would soon send a formal inspection request to U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

No one was immediately available for comment at the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
                Re:

I just have to say this. The guy who sat beside me in work was on holidays in Egypt at the time of Sept. 11th. A few days after that terrible event the Government there decreed
                that a public minutes silence would be observed throughout the country as a mark of respect of the victims. My friend told me that traffic throughout Cairo came to a halt at the appropriate time and that many people got out of their cars and stood for the minute in silence.

It is a shame mainstream media in the US (perhaps the world) focuses so much on the negative. We here in the states weren't shown the streets of Cairo, but we WERE shown Palestinians celebrating wildly as reports of the fall of the Towers came to them.
                Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Re: Canada to Inspect USA for WMD

On annother board I saw the suggesttion that they be given a guided tour of exactly what they wanted to see with plenty of cameras following to capture the moment when they all soil themselves.

Great idea, too bad it'll never happen.
                  "Lord... forgive me my actions, speech and thoughts. Because, Lord, I am seriously going to kick some unrighteous ass in Your Name, Amen."
                  Princess of Wands by John Ringo (Jan 2006)

http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200601...9232.htm?blurb

Comment

The NDP are a socialist party, get less votes than the communist party does in America, and has not had a serious politician in the ranks for close to 20 years. There are some serious people in provincial politics that are NDP, and they form(ed) the governments of some provinces (Ontario, BC, etc). But Yanks are probably not aware that provincial level parties are NOT the same as their federal namesakes.

The NDP are a joke, and nothing I can tell you about them is more convincing than Chuck's post.

Sad, and America has the apologies of the other 99.9% of us Canucks that aren't a few dogs short of a sled team.
                    "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis
                      The NDP are a socialist party, get less votes than the communist party does in America, and has not had a serious politician in the ranks for close to 20 years. There are some serious people in provincial politics that are NDP, and they form(ed) the governments of some provinces (Ontario, BC, etc). But Yanks are probably not aware that provincial level parties are NOT the same as their federal namesakes.

The NDP are a joke, and nothing I can tell you about them is more convincing than Chuck's post.

Sad, and America has the apologies of the other 99.9% of us Canucks that aren't a few dogs short of a sled team.
                      In exchange for Libby Davies we offer Al Sharpton to inspect your ice hockey stick factories for possible WMD.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT

It is a shame mainstream media in the US (perhaps the world) focuses so much on the negative. We here in the states weren't shown the streets of Cairo, but we WERE shown Palestinians celebrating wildly as reports of the fall of the Towers came to them.
                        ...if they are the same pictures the German TV news showed to us: those pictures were "archive" pictures at least a few years old and waved on another event.
                        In fact the people IN that movie, those flag-waving "Palestinians" made it public that this news-coverage was a fake (this has been researched by a big german weekly) And by the way, the flag they were waving was Jordany's flag, they are Jordans and the event was the end of the Gulf War Episode I.
                        "you come from nothing,
                        you go to nothing,
                        what have you lost?
                        nothing!"
                        Monty Python

Comment

...oh, and I am honestly sorry that my country did not sign that letter to Mr Bush, because it expresse my feelings too!

I guess that I might become "collateral damage" when the attack starts so if you don't see any post from me in the future, you know why!
                          "you come from nothing,
                          you go to nothing,
                          what have you lost?
                          nothing!"
                          Monty Python

Comment

Originally posted by Rince

...if they are the same pictures the German TV news showed to us: those pictures were "archive" pictures at least a few years old and waved on another event.
                            In fact the people IN that movie, those flag-waving "Palestinians" made it public that this news-coverage was a fake (this has been researched by a big german weekly) And by the way, the flag they were waving was Jordany's flag, they are Jordans and the event was the end of the Gulf War Episode I.
                            All comes down to propoganda as usual. I have recently started investigating the US policy of denying footage of US casuallties (or deaths) from reaching mainstream media. The media was briefed about it during Gulf I. Also in Afghanistan when that Navy SEAL fell out of a helicopter and got dragged off by the Taliban, the footage was witheld by the Pentagon. American policy on this goes back to WWII. On all my Internet searchings I have found one picture of KIA GI's, taken at the Battle of the Bulge 1944. It is argued that US troops in Somalia withdrew when CNN broadcast pictures of a dead US serviveman being dragged through the streets. I wonder how the US public would react if images of US casualties were shown. Personally don't like to see any myself, but it can ring home like nothing else. I always remember seeing pictures of the IRA bomb in Hyde Park, London. And actually feeling very sad because of all the dead horses (young boy at the time). Still remember those images today.

Comment

Originally posted by Rince
                              ...oh, and I am honestly sorry that my country did not sign that letter to Mr Bush, because it expresse my feelings too!

I guess that I might become "collateral damage" when the attack starts so if you don't see any post from me in the future, you know why!
                              Good luck Rince! Maybe you should take a short vacation to Switzerland until everything blows over.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X