Archeological site explorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archeological site explorations

Who has been to archeological/historical/ruins sites across the world? Feel free to tell us about them.

Janos, you are probably having a visit to some sites in Iraq?
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

I've never done anything like that, but I'd love to tour historical sites, ruins, etc. Archeological digs would be interesting as a visit, but working there is beyond my patience, I fear.

When I win the $30 million super 7, I'm going to go visit all the battlefields, ancient runes, etc, my wife will allow me to before we have to hit the Riviera!

I think visiting the D-Day memorial(s) in France during the anniversary would top the list for me.
    "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

i had the pleasure of going to cairo for 3 days back in the late seventies.i wish that i could go back,the pyramids are the most inspiring sight i've seen.i have also been to england many times,the castles,and ruins there are wonderful.
      i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Comment

I've been to Greece, Thessaloniki and Athens to be exact. Ran out of time as I wanted to see Marathon, Sparta, Crete

Tunisia. Spent two days in Carthage. Rented a car and went south from Tunis to other archeological sites and ended up in Zama.

Rome. Only had 24 hours, so I visited Rome at Mach 8.

Spain. Malaga, Grenada it's palaces.

Gibraltar. Walked up the clifs with the macaques and to the WW2 coastal gun emplacements. When I was there in 2001, there was a British nuclear sub at anchor, don't know which one. I know it upset the Spaniards.

When I retire in 10 years, my wonderful wife and I will be doing Europe for sure.

If I had the time, the Juno Memorial would be also on my visiting list.
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Archeological site explorations

Originally posted by dannybou
          Who has been to archeological/historical/ruins sites across the world? Feel free to tell us about them.

In high school my archaeology course dug up a ante-bellum privy in Charleston, S.C.
          Found some really nice old bottles used for medicines.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Re: Archeological site explorations

Originally posted by dannybou

Janos, you are probably having a visit to some sites in Iraq?
            Saw ruins of a Roman amphitheater in Trier, Germany. Many vineyards were also planted there during Roman times, and a great many of them still produce.

There are many abandoned castle, monastery and convent ruins throughout Germany as well, of varying age. In the city of Kaiserslautern are the remains of Barbarossa's local government building. Heidelberg has a well-preserved castle and cathedral. The original castle buildings date, I think, from the 13th Century. The Cathedral, located in the center of town, was constructed in the 12th Century and was the site of the Coronation of the Leader of the Rhineland and his consort.
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

In grad school a final I had was a terrain walk of Gettysburg lead by Dr/Col Ken Allard.

Climbed Mt Sinai and visited the St Katrinas Monestary at its base.

The Egyptian Museum in Cairo and the Pryamids.

A number of Anastasi indian ruins around Flagstaff.

Anyone who has been to Fort Bragg has actually walked a civil war battle field where the South kicked Shermans butt coming up from Savannah. The Union Cav Div commander was caught in bed in a house out by what is now a major four way interesection west of Mott Lake. Occassionally remains from the battle are still discovered in the training areas.

Comment

Saw ruins of a Roman amphitheater in Trier, Germany.
                This area's a touchy subject for me. Just outside Trier as you come from Spangdahlem/Bitburg,there was some old WW2 German bunkers I had the chance to explore in the late 80's.
                Several years later,They were excavated and what was described as "the largest horde of Roman coins" was unearthed.

If the town square looked familar to anyone,It's because Patton
                rolled through there in '45 and I saw at least one oil painting of him in his staff car there.
                Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                  Prawn heads
                  by Karri
                  How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                  Today, 11:40
                • Jose50
                  Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                  by Jose50
                  Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                  Today, 08:41
                • Von Richter
                  Sagittarius Rising...
                  by Von Richter
                  Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                  Today, 01:19
                Working...
                X