Bush's speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush's speech

I listened to Bush's State of the Union Address tonight.

Interesting, as a Canadian I have never listened to such a speech before.

I think Bush made it clear, without saying it, that there would be a war, whether the UN or Europe like it or not. He was very clear on this that America takes its decisions itself...

My favorite part - I almost applauded - was when he announced huge investments in new sources of energy, especially hydrogen engines for cars. He justified it by saying that this would insure a cleaner air - granted - but that it would also make America...FREE OF ITS DEPENDANCE ON FOREIGN SOURCES OF ENERGY ! Gotcha !

That's what America needs to do, and then it can tell Middle Eastern countries to keep their oil - and accompanying problems - for themselves

And luxury SUVs powered by hydrogen engines would not have any more negative impact on America's National Security, contrary to the useless gaz-guzzling variety crowding the roads these days...

I missed the speech...i had to work Though i do find that point about hydrogen interesting,especially since according to some people he is in the pocket of big oil.Is such a thing doable?Or does anyone believe this is strictly for PR.

Comment

Unless he meant fuel cells, mainly PR.

Cryonic Hydrogen storage is expensive and very energy hungry.

Gaseus Hydrogen molecules are small enough to slip through the gaps between molecules of (almost?) any container making storage impossible over the long term.
      "Lord... forgive me my actions, speech and thoughts. Because, Lord, I am seriously going to kick some unrighteous ass in Your Name, Amen."
      Princess of Wands by John Ringo (Jan 2006)

http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200601...9232.htm?blurb

Comment

There is already a hydrogen cell engine in production. It just started up. I believe it was GM or Ford that signed up with Ballard (he invented the hydrogen cell engine)to mass produce the engine.
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul
          I missed the speech...i had to work Though i do find that point about hydrogen interesting,especially since according to some people he is in the pocket of big oil.Is such a thing doable?Or does anyone believe this is strictly for PR.
          Hydrogen power is doable
          it's getting the technology to fit into a car and still be reasonably priced that is the issue that requires the research

_Tim
          "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it....

Hello,

I think it's mostly PR. The oil companies would never accept any real major change in how to adpot the future natural resources. They would stand to lose the most profits if these new energy methods were to become practical at consumer levels. I can promise you, they will go down fighting fiercely and without mercy for their opponents.

I am most interested in his agenda on the foreign policy. He opened his agenda with a promise of a new medicial aid to poor African nations to combat a deadly threat -- AIDS -- and to improve their own inferior medicial infrastructures. Next, he moved onto to international terrorism, in fact, the Iraq crisis was the last thing in his speech, it was done on purpose to downplay the impending war.

It was absolutely freshing to see Bush Jr. make it clear Saddam has to disarm peacefully or face the might of the United States' armed forces. Bush Jr. made it clear it was not the UN inspectors' duty to look for WMDs, rather it was their duty to vertify that Saddam has in fact destroyed all the remaining WMDs, turning the table on Saddam. I greatly appreciate his tough speech. There will be a war! It's exactly what should be happening as of right now!

I am waiting with anticipation next week when Powell will present new evidence linking Saddam to the terrorist groups and prove that he has in fact not destroyed any WMDs. Hopefully this will shut up the peace movement and discredit their arguements.

For months on with no end in sight, I have been stymized by loud peace protests and people getting in my face, yelling, "You're sick! Wars are illegal!" and things like that! I've had to swallow my pride and be patient. Now, the time is running out for Saddam and peace-loving people to prove their cases. When the time is right, I will have my day and at last vindicated by Saddam's ruthless regime and his uncooperative attitude.

It's time to give Saddam a real boot in his ass! It's time for troops to move out and make Saddam's boys pay the price of messing around with Americans for the last 12 years!

It's time for these idiots -- the peacehuggers -- to prove their case and show that Saddam is in fact cooperating fully with UN inspectors. That Saddam has in fact destroyed all WMDs according to the Iraqi declaration on the weapons development programs. I want to see pictures of 15,000 chemical warheads being completely dismantled by Saddam's henchmen and that Saddam step aside and allow a real democratic party to emerge and take rule of Iraq. I want to see that, if such peacehuggers can't produce any ounce of evidence, then I have only one thing to say:

"Stand aside, and let us American boys do what's best, kill the SOB quickly, and screw these idiots to hell!"

Onward to Baghdad, American soldiers!
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Speech - long on allegation, short on proof. If Bush has evidence about links between al-qaeda and Saddam, and about WMD development then why is Colin Powell only now going to divulge this information to the UN. What about disclosure ? Or is this a deliberate attempt to withold information that could avert a war and then produce it in order to justify a war ?

Comment

Marko is correct in some respects. I think the US must not rely on the "trust me" approach. People need evidence. However, I also believe people would likely say the evidence was created by the US. So I don't really care.

I'm not blind. If Saddam has nothing to hide, he would not be so elusive. Bush has no responsibility to provide information that Iraq is lying. Iraq must confirm it's telling the truth. After twelve years of this, governments requesting more information are just stonewalling to avoid their commitment.

My message to them is simple......

IF YOU DON'T THE RESOLUTION, DON'T SIGN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Re: I wouldn't worry about it....

Originally posted by Cheetah772
                  I am most interested in his agenda on the foreign policy. He opened his agenda with a promise of a new medicial aid to poor African nations to combat a deadly threat -- AIDS -- and to improve their own inferior medicial infrastructures. Next, he moved onto to international terrorism, in fact, the Iraq crisis was the last thing in his speech, it was done on purpose to downplay the impending war.
                  There is this little interesting story: an african government wanted to produce a copy of a medicie that will help AIDS infected to live longer. A US firm has researched and produced this medicine but the price was so high that no african could afford the money to buy it. The african government didn't intend to make money with this medicine but only wanted to provide his people with proper care and even pay the US firm for the use uf their property but of course not as much as the firm wanted.
                  Your president Bush intervened and prevented that the african government could produce this live prolonging medicine and thereby dooming many ppl to death that could have lived for some more years with this medicine. On the other hand, as america was full of fear of anthrax attacks they forced a german company to let loose their patent for this medicine (that they had spent money on to research, too) because now american lives were in danger and even tho most of your ppl have enough money to buy it they thought it was to expencive :-//.
                  Yeah, Bush is really a hero for the thirld world, indeed.

It's time to give Saddam a real boot in his ass! It's time for troops to move out and make Saddam's boys pay the price of messing around with Americans for the last 12 years!
                  you seem to be very eager to go to war. Let me ask you: are you one of the american soldiers that'll risk their lives in this war or are you sitting safely back home, watching the war from your comfortable armchair on CNN ??????

It's time for these idiots -- the peacehuggers -- to prove their case and show that Saddam is in fact cooperating fully with UN inspectors. That Saddam has in fact destroyed all WMDs according to the Iraqi declaration on the weapons development programs. I want to see pictures of 15,000 chemical warheads being completely dismantled by Saddam's henchmen and that Saddam step aside and allow a real democratic party to emerge and take rule of Iraq. I want to see that, if such peacehuggers can't produce any ounce of evidence, then I have only one thing to say:

"Stand aside, and let us American boys do what's best, kill the SOB quickly, and screw these idiots to hell!"

Onward to Baghdad, American soldiers! [/B]
                  so ppl who want peace are idiots ?? That is one of the most insane things I've heard for long

Maybe you should read the Blix report, Blix said quite clearly that the Iraq is complying in general but could/should still improve his compliance. He also said that there are still many unresolved questions but he also said that the abilities of the weapon inspectors are invcreasing daily and I (like most nations, including the british!) think that they should continue their work.

... that Saddam step aside and allow a real democratic party to emerge and take rule of Iraq.
                  do you really think that after the USA invaded Iraq and removed saddam that they'll install a democratic government that all that follows is peace and happiness ??? Come on, get real! You can't just force democracy upon a nation, this'll never work! A democracy has to be supported by the ppl and Iraq is in no way ready for democracy.

Have you ever looked ad the opposition ?? Many of them generals, all of them more occupied with fighting themselves than fighting saddam.
                  "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

"Yeah, Bush is really a hero for the thirld world, indeed."

Actually - anyone who thinks that their government truly, deeply cares about the poor is kidding themselves in my opinion. There are good politicians out there, but they are few and far between, and they are highly outnumbered.
                    Take away Pearl Harbor and Marko would be writing in German Today.

Comment

you seem to be very eager to go to war. Let me ask you: are you one of the american soldiers that'll risk their lives in this war or are you sitting safely back home, watching the war from your comfortable armchair on CNN ?????

UHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we go................

Kraut, it's outrageous for you to draw the simple conclusion that just because Cheetah is not dying he can take the situation anymore lightly. This is war. People will be killed. By taking the position to support it, he has placed the blood of everyone who will die on his hands. It's a consequence he will have to deal with.

Cheetah doesn't strike me as a moron sipping his coffee and drawing saying "yes" to war without thinking about the consequences. If you are participating in this debate, it's hard for me to imagine you not questioning your conclusions. However, it's something that has to be done.

Voting to go to war doesn't make Cheetah772 or any one else a heartless punk who doesn't give a damn about the soldiers. It makes him a citizen who is taking a stand. That's more than I can say for many governments and people in this world today. He is committing to this cause in the only way he can. You should not bash such people just because they seem eager to get it over it. Hell, I know for a fact most of the military wants this thing to end as soon as possible.

Whether you realize it or not, people like Cheetah772 is a vital part of the military. Soldiers can't perform without support. At least he's willing to say this is the right cause and I back you every way. He is willing to risk all if necessary. That is more than I can say for many governments in the world today who are only concerned with their own political status.

So while you might be correct that Cheetah doesn't wear a uniform. You are wrong to suggest he doesn't care about the men and women who will die in this crap. If he doesn't support them, who will?
                      "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Re: Re: I wouldn't worry about it....

Originally posted by Kraut

you seem to be very eager to go to war. Let me ask you: are you one of the american soldiers that'll risk their lives in this war or are you sitting safely back home, watching the war from your comfortable armchair on CNN ??????

It's not up the the soldiers to decide if they want a war or not. That's called a junta.

so ppl who want peace are idiots ?? That is one of the most insane things I've heard for long

Calling people idiots is just wrong. These people are either pacificst, misguided, or selfish.

Maybe you should read the Blix report, Blix said quite clearly that the Iraq is complying in general but could/should still improve his compliance. He also said that there are still many unresolved questions but he also said that the abilities of the weapon inspectors are invcreasing daily and I (like most nations, including the british!) think that they should continue their work.

The problem with the Blix report is that big problems exist in many weapons catagories. Not only does Iraq have old WMD but are looking to import the tools to build more of them.

do you really think that after the USA invaded Iraq and removed saddam that they'll install a democratic government that all that follows is peace and happiness ??? Come on, get real! You can't just force democracy upon a nation, this'll never work! A democracy has to be supported by the ppl and Iraq is in no way ready for democracy.

Democracy may or may not take. It's up to the Iraqi people in the end.
                        "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Kraut and Everybody else....

Hello Kraut and everybody else,

I feel an explanation is necessary to clear this up.

On one hand, it is correct to assume that I am in fact eager for war with Iraq. But not for a simple thrill of seeing somebody shot to death in front of TV nor eager for thousands of Iraqi soldiers being engulfed in flames without ever seeing their adversaries.

I am eager because I wish to offer my hearfelt support for my country's armed forces whose men and women are giving up their lives to serve bravely in hour of crises. I am eager because this is something that I care deeply enough to express my political and military views on this forum.

By that, I do not mean that I am eager for Don Maddox to be sent off to Iraq and die for me, so I could be excited over the latest prospect of a wargaming company producing the newest computer wargame based on Gulf War II. It's absurd to think like that. This is not how I feel nor the proper line of reasoning.

To be honest with you, mixed with my eagerness is a deep fear that this war could spin out of my country's control. The wars are unpredictable, that's why no true paragdims could ever found for the causes of any war. I do fully realize the consequences of this impending war. It could destroy America not militarily but politically, but on the other hand, America is taking a big risk in guiding a new vision of nursing a new fledging democratic regime in postwar Iraq. This is a chance on America's part to give something special -- the gift of democracy and a chance to live in peace -- to the people starving for both gifts in Iraq. Granted, this is a bit naive, but it's something worth enough for me to believe in the value of sending my country's soldiers to a strange and distant world thousands of miles away from home sweet home.

I know that soldiers need my support just as much they do need each other. If I am the ONLY person who support the war with Iraq in the entire America, then I am PROUD to be that person, it's where patriotism is displayed at best, not by marching down the road, yelling obcense words and sentences filled with hatred for soldiers who are willing to die for us!

That's why I hate peacehuggers, because they ignore the value of having a soldier next to YOU. They ignore the fact that American Revolutionary War was fought with bloodshed, it wasn't about a couple of liberals marching down the road, protesting the Great Britain's iron-hand rule of colonial America. Many people died in the Revolutionary War. It was a hard-earned fight for the independence and birth of what is known as the United States of America. The peacehuggers have forgotten about the blood being shedded on the battlefields of Yorktown, Gettysburg, WWI, D-Day, Ia Drang Valley, Tet Offensive, and many other battles. They were not about a couple of peacehuggers marching to protest the wars. They were about ordinary men who desired nothing to be with their wives and children, with ordinary dreams of living in peace, in fact, I consider them to be true peacehuggers.

My older brother who was in US Navy, now works at Harley Davidson company as a computer programmer for warehouses, may lose his job because he has a couple of years left on the reserve status, but he is willing to go back into US Navy for temporary because it is something worthy to serve.

In fact, my older brother does not support the war with Iraq, but is willing to go, why? Because he felt if it is worthy for the President to send off soldiers to do dirty job, then it must be worth enough to die for. That's if nobody is willing to stand up to ruthless Saddam, then America is once again willing to carry the burden of sending the finest corps of soldiers, that's okay with him and me. Because, in the end, it's worth.

Today, in this modern age, I feel nobody is brave enough to honor the deeds of an ordinary soldier. This isn't about political manuevurs, this isn't about the supposed brilliance of General Franks, this isn't about the nuclear brinksmanship being played out on Korean front, this isn't about Saddam jerking America and the world around for the last 12 years, this isn't about WMDs, this isn't about reaping oil profits....no, this is about an ordinary soldier doing his duty, which he has sworn to the United States of America.

This is for all of you peacehuggers, at least, give the soldiers their due....they deserve our honor and support even though you may not support the war, at least, show your support for the soldiers. The Iraqi people do not have this kind of luxury for their soldiers, they are being forced to support despite the ruthlessness of Saddam Hussein. Let us take advantage of this luxury for our soldiers.

I salute all of the soldiers in America, who desire nothing but peace for all the people of this world.

Dan
                          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X