The Use of Armor in Special Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Use of Armor in Special Operations

Who here knows of any special operation/commando raid conducted by any army that involved the use of Tanks, APC's and other armored vehicles.

I know a few that come to mind but I would like to know other examples...

And if these happened it is a wonder that the US army did not use these in that raid in Somalia.
    "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

4th Armd Div PW raid in Germany in spring '45...

SAS operations in North Africa 41-43.

US armored vehicles were not in Moagdishu in in Oct 93. They had been withdrawn. If M1's had been in Somlia they could of been used for the first relief convoy that went out. Armor against mobs or light infantry changes attitudes very quickly.

Comment

During WWII the U.S. Army had ordered an produced a light tank that was capable of being paradropped called the Locust. It was never used.
      "Going to war is always an admission of defeat." --Jacques Chirac

"In the case of France, you're right!" --Rush Limbaugh

Comment

Re: The Use of Armor in Special Operations

Originally posted by hellodoggie

And if these happened it is a wonder that the US army did not use these in that raid in Somalia.

I'd say Les Aspin but that clown is long dead and buried
        Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by Joisey
          During WWII the U.S. Army had ordered an produced a light tank that was capable of being paradropped called the Locust. It was never used.
          Actually, the British Paras used Locust tanks in Operation Varsity. I think all of 12 were used and carried aboard the giant Hamilcar gliders.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

The Israelis in Sudan in 75 I think.

Comment

I don't know if they were air dropped in combat, but the US at one time had the Sheridan light tank that was under 20 tons and supposedly could be parachuted. Anyone know if they were used this way in combat?
              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                I don't know if they were air dropped in combat, but the US at one time had the Sheridan light tank that was under 20 tons and supposedly could be parachuted. Anyone know if they were used this way in combat?
                To best of my knowledge they were never airdropped into combat. They mainly seemed to be used to get a "number" of "tanks" into theatre quickly, but as standard air cargo and not paradropped.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                  Not to my knowledge, but they were used in ground combat in Vietnam (both Army and Marines, I believe).
                  Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                  (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

I think they dropped a company of M551's during Panama, and were said to perform well, despite its reputation. It's 152mm gun proved to be a godsend to the light infantry that were tasked to get into the city. It was considered a "normal" op, in what this vehicle was tasked to perform.

Comment

The only reason our Rangers and Delta Force didnt have armor support and fire support from units like M1s and AC-130 Spectre Gunships was because Clinton thought it was too high profile.
                      "De Opresso Liber"
                      (Liberty to the Opressed)
                      -Green Beret Motto

Eternal Father, grant, we pray,
                      To all Marines, both night and day,
                      The courage, honor, strength, and skill
                      Their land to serve, thy law fulfill;
                      Be thou the shield forevermore
                      From every peril to the Corps.
                      --Alternate Verse, U.S.N. Hymn

-"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?"
                      -"No...but i served in a company of heroes."

"What our enemies have begun, we will finish,"
                      - President George W. Bush
                      in his address to the nation on September 11, 2002.

The Soldiers Prayer
                      "When They Go To Heaven,
                      To Saint Peter They Will Tell;
                      One More Soldier Reporting Sir,
                      I've Served My Time In Hell"

Comment

Sheridans are LAPES'd in... I knew a former CSM of the 3/73rd Armor (82nd Abn). After a Sheridan was LAPSE'd, it was NEVER the same again...

Every year at Fort Bragg a ROTC Advanced Camp is run. Midway through they do a full blow CAPEX with heavy drop, Sheridan LAPES, Mass Tac, and Firepower demo.

Well... the leading edge of the pallet that Sheridan was on dug into the ground (aircraft was too high when the tank went out the the ramp). This caused the pallet and tank to cartwheel, spewing parts and pieces in all directions, about a quarter mile down the LAPES strip into the trees. It wasn't a pretty site.

There was a least one company in Operation Just Cause. The 152mm gun did a incredible job fine tuning 'tudes. That is one of the reason the four M8's have been taken out of storage and issued to the 82nd.

http://www.ieasysite.com/82ndArmor/sheridan_005.htm

Comment

Originally posted by RetPara
                          Sheridans are LAPES'd in... I knew a former CSM of the 3/73rd Armor (82nd Abn). After a Sheridan was LAPSE'd, it was NEVER the same again...

Every year at Fort Bragg a ROTC Advanced Camp is run. Midway through they do a full blow CAPEX with heavy drop, Sheridan LAPES, Mass Tac, and Firepower demo.

Well... the leading edge of the pallet that Sheridan was on dug into the ground (aircraft was too high when the tank went out the the ramp). This caused the pallet and tank to cartwheel, spewing parts and pieces in all directions, about a quarter mile down the LAPES strip into the trees. It wasn't a pretty site.

There was a least one company in Operation Just Cause. The 152mm gun did a incredible job fine tuning 'tudes. That is one of the reason the four M8's have been taken out of storage and issued to the 82nd.

Yeah I've heard about the M8 prototypes's brought back to service with the 82nd Abn. From what I hear United Defense had successfully testfired a 120mm gun from a converted XM8 chassis.
                          It even has a hybrid engine, sort of like the Toyota Prius. The compactness of the engine in terms of space could mean theoretically that the amount of 120mm rds carried would be almost the same as the M8's that carried 30 rds of 105mm shells.

The project is called THUNDERBOLT.

UD should push really hard on this project.

I hope the Army gets some sense and Dollars and get this vehicle.

The Styker MGS just cant cut it. Perhaps the Army realised it.

Comment

Originally posted by RetPara

You mention how well the 152mm gun worked. Isn't it a hybred weapon that can also launch missiles?
                            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Somalia

first off as much as I despise Cliton it was not his call to use Abrams or spectres. We opted to use Ah-6 (HOOAH) for good resons and they worked better than those other two could have in that sitation.

Special Ops is just that Operations that are "Special" and while the main stay of those "Operations" are just quick infil exfil of small well equiped teams, anything and everything has been used in Special Operations. Heck Delta has its own Submarine and the 160th comonderes carriers all the time. calling on an armored unit to aid with their specialty is not far fetched or uncommon. However the need for armor over the years has lessened in every respect.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X