The US in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The US in Iraq

According to documentaries of the day, the Tet offensive, in 1968, was an uprising of a supposedly 'pacified' populace against their American 'liberators'. In reality, it was a well planned and executed popular uprising, whose ramifications would later spell the death knell for American concerns in Vietnam.

Although of very limited military significance, these acts of insurgancy had such a negative effect on the minds of the average American that popular support for continued war in Vietnam was all but gone.

Pundits have been making comparisons to the current situation America faces in Iraq.

Armchair General puts the question to you, the reader, to provide the definitive answer!

Do you see similarities between the Tet Offensive and the current situation the US faces in Iraq?
    It's Deja Vu!
    0%
    There are some similarities...
    0%
    Too early to tell.
    0%
    Despite a few similarities, they are very different.
    0%
    Apples and oranges. Not even close.
    0%
    "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

I got just one thing to say.

"Armchair generals fancy me not for they have no idea if they have never served." Patton

Comment

It would be devastating to the insurgents and militias to try and start a mass urban guerilla campaign ala Tet '68. Although Tet shook the resolve of the american public to continue the struggle in Vietnam it also broke the back of the Viet Cong while ultimately failing to drive the US out of Vietnam. So, if that's what they want, i guess they can try to bring it, but I suggest they do some research first.
      Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

I could not come to a conclusion yet because there hasn't been enough time to allow our side and theirs to unveil their full plans. I think there is a major difference in the fact that we're going to hand over control to them on 30 June. I think also, it is the general feeling of the public in Iraq that we are not necessarily (sp?) a bad thing. I'm too young for the Vietnam era, so all I have to base an opinion on that is testimony and second-hand accounts.

However, I do think that the American people are getting a bit wary of the growing number of casulties in this war. I know that we must accept the fact that there will always be casulties, no matter how careful or superior we are, but the general public won't understand that. I think right now, we're at a point where it's horrible to see our men and women suffering so much at the hands of our enemy, but we must fight for what we believe in.
        I just hope I haven't offended anyone with what I've said.
        Pvt. Bob Mana,
        Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

Despite some general similarities, the comparison, in my view, must be considered the product of an overactive imagination(s). The current flare-up is not nationwide, has not been catastrophic - no Saigon in Baghdad, and only marginally similar in Fallujah. This is a hiccup to Tet's severe respiratory distress. by the time the power shift occurs (30 Jun) the terrorists' campaign will have largely spent itself. Certainly, we will continue to see attacks, IEDs etc., here and there, "clerics" will continue to call for "jihad", the Sunni triangle, Najaf, Nasariyah, Kut, et al will continue to be plagued by disorder, but it will be well contained. I think it likely that even the terrorists know they must lose and, like spoiled children, they paln to exit with a flourish, rather than a whimper.
          Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
          (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

The Tet Offensive was not (imo) a 'popular uprising', but instead was an offensive planned and executed by both the Viet Cong and NVA. The Viet Cong basically ceased to exist as an offensive force as a direct result of Tet '68.

Apples and oranges. (imo).

Comment

I dont know if this is true but I heard that we won every major engagement In the Vietnam war, unlike the French Is that true?

Comment

That depends on your definition of 'victory', and on your definition of 'major'.

Comment

The only similarities are in the reporters' heads, but one.

The press used the Tet offensive as a weapon against the US military and government to get us out of Vietnam. They're using the Fallujah battles to do the same.

There is no nationwide uprising here.
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

There's one big difference between Vietnam and Iraq and I'm surprised no one has commented on it before.

The NVA and Uncle Ho had no real beef with the U.S. They would have gladly lived in peace with the U.S., would not have attacked the U.S. and, indeed, had little or no capability to do so.

Radical, fundamental Islamists, on the other hand...

Bottom line: where you would rather fight the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by foster
                      I dont know if this is true but I heard that we won every major engagement In the Vietnam war, unlike the French Is that true?
                      Since the end result was the same, it doesn't really matter, does it?

Comment

If you mean that like TET we will wipe out the insurgents then yes
                        Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by 11bgod
                          That depends on your definition of 'victory', and on your definition of 'major'.
                          Yeah, according to the various reporters, anytime that we did not swiftly and utterly rout and/or destroy the NVA/VC it was a defeat for us. That we "won the battles but lost the war" is a matter of perception and according to your political agenda. In the final analysis, political meddling and micro-management were the two most serious impediments to success in Vietnam.
                          Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                          (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Well a main argument to say that this is nothing like the Tet Offensive in my opinion is simply that these are significant battles happening. A large number of U.S. troops have died so far this month (unfortunately) but it's by no means comparable (although someone may have a figure to prove me wrong) with the Tet Offensive. These are small scale attacks on convoys and small groups of troops. There militants in Iraq aren't attacking large US bases or even really driving us out of of any cities.

This is essentially low to mid level insurgency, and by no means comparable to a well orchestrated and executed nationwide military campaign.
                            “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

You can't really compare the two, though polital and media pundits would like you to try. The fact, or to play devil's advocate, it appears, we were lied to by our leaders in both cases does not play militarily here.

Politically, the two conflicts are not in the same ballpark. Vietnam, where's Vietnam? In the early sixties, no one knew where Vietnam was. The war went from obscure to undesireable, to the American public. Iraq, and osetensibly its role in the war against terrorism, started as a popular war, highly backed by the citizenry.

TET was a country-wide uprising of VC and incursions by the NVA.

We kicked their collective asses.

It was a political nightmare for the US. First, anti-war sentiment was approaching its zenith. Second, the fact that we got caught flat-footed shocked and angered our citizens.

Iraq, the current situation, is localized figthing in a few pockets of dissidence. As a war to stem WMDs, it has been an abject failure. As a battle against terrorism, the verdict is out.

The political fallout in Iraq is the apparent trail of lies and misinformation given to America and the world. If the end justifies the means, then July 1st will be a watershed day.
                              Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X