Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft

Do you think we will ever have a draft agian I dont think so I think those days are long over with.

I doubt we will ever have a draft unless we go to war with a country some-what near us in technology.
    "If my theory of realitivity is proved true, then France will declare me a citizen of the world and Germany will call me a German. However, if it is proved untrue, then France will call me a German, and Germany a jew."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

It is very unlikely there will be a draft anytime soon in the US. First of all, the selective service bureau is defunct. We have registration now, but that doesn't really do anything.
      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
      http://www.mormon.org
      http://www.sca.org
      http://www.scv.org/
      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

I can only pray not. The last of the draftees were on their way out when I was in the Marines. Thankfully they took all their **** with them and didn't come back.

Now if some kind of alternative federal service like the old CCC was brought back (para-military engineer and construction units) that could be a good thing.

Comment

Don't believe we ever had draft in Canada??
          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
            Don't believe we ever had draft in Canada??
            Well, it was a political impossibility in WW2, given King's promise to Quebec not to impose conscription.

All service in Europe was voluntary, IIRC. This caused a real problem after D-Day due to a real lack of replacements. Some units were even cannibalized to provide reinforcements. All this while 70,000 trained servicemen sat at home.

Comment

Re: Draft

Originally posted by foster
              Do you think we will ever have a draft agian I dont think so I think those days are long over with.
              There is always a possibility - several times during the 1980's this was seriously considered and again a handful of times during the 1990s. Should the War on Terrorism seriously escalate, in the (unlikely) event we or the DPRK start a ground war on the Korean Peninsula, or should we get involved in a major conflict elsewhere, this prospect will again receive serious consideration. So long as Selective Service registration is continued, a draft could be started in very short order.
              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat
                Well, it was a political impossibility in WW2, given King's promise to Quebec not to impose conscription.

All service in Europe was voluntary, IIRC. This caused a real problem after D-Day due to a real lack of replacements. Some units were even cannibalized to provide reinforcements. All this while 70,000 trained servicemen sat at home.
                A little clarification is in order.

Conscription WAS carried out in WW II; but only for the "defence of Canada". All service overseas was indeed voluntary.
                Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I pray that the U.S. will never see another draft, but if it does, I will answer the call (assuming I get the dreaded letter)

Now.....what GOOD a tall, overweight nerd would do the Army? Who knows.....I think I can run a mile in just under 10 minutes!
                  Pvt. Bob Mana,
                  Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

Actually I believe that all males between the ages of 16 and 65
                    are liable for service in the Continental Army. That particular law has never been recinded.

Comment

Now.....what GOOD a tall, overweight nerd would do the Army? Who knows.....I think I can run a mile in just under 10 minutes!
                      I was in a training unit for two years...believe me,there's worse out there.
                      Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long
                        I was in a training unit for two years...believe me,there's worse out there.

How about running a mile in less than a week?

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersqn
                          A little clarification is in order.

Conscription WAS carried out in WW II; but only for the "defence of Canada". All service overseas was indeed voluntary.
                          Yes, we did that in both world wars I beleive. Both times the French Canadians rioted over it! Didn't want to fight for England.
                          There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon
                            Yes, we did that in both world wars I beleive. Both times the French Canadians rioted over it! Didn't want to fight for England.
                            French Canadian from Quebec I assume. How embarrassing!! There were a few Regiments raised in the Province of Quebec, all volunteer.
                            http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                              French Canadian from Quebec I assume. How embarrassing!! There were a few Regiments raised in the Province of Quebec, all volunteer.
                              Van Doos. Certainly there were many volunteers from Quebec.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X