Intimidation in Fallujah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intimidation in Fallujah

I for one feel that the U.S. needs to intimidate the Iraqi insurgent stronghold in Fallujah. This may sound silly but in a way these anti-American people should be taught "WE ARE THE BOSSES NOW". Such a thing like a HUGE armored column or a huge flyover of American airpower and Weaponry (helicopters) to show these people they can't win. Another idea is make the U.S. troops look like....how should i say this....make them look INTIMIDATING. Give them Camo Paint...strap ammo across their chests...cut their sleeves off their fatigue jackets. I know many people may feel that this is a very dumb post but I feel that something like this would intimidate Iraqi insurgents into maybe changing their mind on who to attack. Please reply with your thoughts and please...dont be too harsh on negative comments...hahahaha.

COTTER

Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.
    "Send Me"

Although I agree with parts of what you are saying, I believe the US forces could look intimidating but professional. Will the murders of yesterday be the subject of an investigation? Will there be arrests, trials and convictions? Not likely and the families of your fallen soldiers and civilians will have no closure. What am I trying to say? Should the US show more muscle? Probably yes, but what the Iraqis need is law and order pure and simple. They need to know that there are consequences to their actions. If all the murders of US personnel always go unpunished, what will be the incentive for them to stop?
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

all the displays of power and fly-overs are not going to intimidate a guerilla insurgency. All the aircraft carriers and B-52 strikes and tanks and Marines and Helicopters and Air-Cav failed to intimidate the Viet Cong and NVA, why would it scare these guys?

The local population is the only force that can cast these guys out.
      Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

It won't help us any to rub in their face "we're still here, we're still occupying your country and we're not going away". The best way to fight it is to let them take care of their own and the minute they need/request help, go in with overwhelming support. As long as we're there, they will always have the nationalist 'kick the invaders out' support, it makes little since to give those 'on the fence' a reason to go anti-Yankee. We're not going to intimidate or scare those who want us out at all costs (woul dyou ever let an invader stay in your country?), but what we can do is keep them from getting too much support from those who know eventually we'll leave, they just have to live with us for now.
        If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

The response of our forces and the coaltion and the Iraqi police should be nothing less than one of Retribution and Judgment.

Nothing less will be understood by the prepetrators and mob that carried out the inhuman savage conduct witnessed.

DESTROY the bridge. That is one action i strongly advocate.

Intimidation is cosmetic, i want blood, a body count of killed and captured.
          Payback is a mother.
          The people of Fallujah have sown now they will reap.
          I have no pity or remorse for my words.

I look forward to the destruction of Fallujah, in any way that it comes.
          Only Tearful, Animal Man Through the Nature of his Being is Destined to
          a Life of Warfare...

Comment

Those who committed the murders are PRAYING we go into Fallujah and tear the place up looking for them. The more people we kill the better in their eyes - because they will have then succeeded in gathering more support for their own cause. We will never convince those extremists that we are there to help those people - it is the people "on the fence" that we need to convince. We can only do that with fair and just response to those murders.

I don't know how it is in that country (of few laws) but in the US you can be punished for being witness to a murder and doing nothing to help that person (or god forbid cheering it on). I am sure the US is looking carefully at those AP tapes of the dragging bodies and will find many of those responsible. Probably won't make headline news, but I have no doubt there will be consequences for the primary participants of that spectacle.
            Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian King
              Probably won't make headline news, but I have no doubt there will be consequences for the primary participants of that spectacle.
              I'm sure this will be the case, in time. A bit of calm is called for right now.

Dr. S.
              Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

We're pouring tons of greenbacks in to Iraq, and this is the thanks we get. I agree with the good Doctor though, calm is needed because we are above these barbarians who go after civilians. But since we're rebuilding the country anyway, a Tomahawk missile streaking in and blowing up the bridge would be very symbolic.

Quick, surgical strikes by our superior armed forces should make quick work of these criminals.
                Pvt. Bob Mana,
                Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
                  We're pouring tons of greenbacks in to Iraq, and this is the thanks we get. I agree with the good Doctor though, calm is needed because we are above these barbarians who go after civilians. But since we're rebuilding the country anyway, a Tomahawk missile streaking in and blowing up the bridge would be very symbolic.

Quick, surgical strikes by our superior armed forces should make quick work of these criminals.
                  I agree with what you say, but don't worry about the Iraqi people. Those scum who fire at us (1) frequently get shot, (2) are not liked by Iraqis and (2) certainly don't represent the people of Iraq.

Are there scumbags over here? Sure! There's a butt-load of them, but there are a few less every day as they are shot, imprisoned, or just quit their scumbaggy way of life and go legit.

Most of the verminous types over here are just looters and thieves (the Arabs call them "Ali Babas"), not anti-coalition. Many more are frustrated because they want jobs and what you and I would call a normal way of life. They want to take care of their families. They want to have a democratic country and participate in it. They want to go to the mosque on Friday or the church on Sunday. This should sound familiar to you. Usually when I go out cruising around, the people wave and/or smile at us.

Here is Basrah, the stores are open and life is good for the average Iraqi (at least by his standards). They are happy Saddam is gone. Up north, there is some shooting, but most of those knuckleheads you see dancing around the burning HMWWV had nothing to do with destroying it, they're just having a good time dancing around.

There is a lot of talk about Fallujah. Bill O'Reilly wants us to depopulate it. I don't agree. That sounds too much like Lidice to me, even if we don't kill them all. There are good people in Fallujah who are helping us, just like there are scumbags who are firing at us. I don't have a solution, but I think the Marines are making good progress there in a bad situation.

BTW, I disagree completely with the idea of blowing up the bridge. A lot of the money you mentioned goes to building bridges. I've got more to do than blow up a bridge just so I can build a new one in the same place. We use the bridges as much as the Iraqis do. Think of an idea that doesn't limit MY mobility.
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Good to hear from you Janos. Had noticed you hadn't posted in a few days and assumed you probably had your hands full with the latest events. In any event, thanks for showing us that not all Iraqis are like the ones we saw. I for one needed to be assured that they are not ALL like those ones.
                    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

My apologies, Janos, you are correct, destroying the bridge isn't a good idea. Stay safe over there, we back home appreciate what you're doing and fighting for!

- Bob
                      Pvt. Bob Mana,
                      Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

Re: Intimidation in Fallujah

Originally posted by cotterc404
                        I for one feel that the U.S. needs to intimidate the Iraqi insurgent stronghold in Fallujah. This may sound silly but in a way these anti-American people should be taught "WE ARE THE BOSSES NOW". Such a thing like a HUGE armored column or a huge flyover of American airpower and Weaponry (helicopters) to show these people they can't win. Another idea is make the U.S. troops look like....how should i say this....make them look INTIMIDATING. Give them Camo Paint...strap ammo across their chests...cut their sleeves off their fatigue jackets. I know many people may feel that this is a very dumb post but I feel that something like this would intimidate Iraqi insurgents into maybe changing their mind on who to attack. Please reply with your thoughts and please...dont be too harsh on negative comments...hahahaha.

COTTER

Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.
                        yeah, I've noted before that harsh methods should be inplemented. Here are some ideas:

1) Any person other than coalition troops, Iraqi police or troops seen with a weapon may be shot on site;

2) Arrest any person or organization known to be inciting to violence (e.g. Imams, newspaper, street corner orators, etc.);

3) Continuing raids on the homes, businesses and and others gathering places of known extremists to search for weapons, explosives, publications inciting to violence. Such locations to be demolished upon discovery of such prohibited items;

4) Use of Iraqi police or troops to raid mosques or other religious facilities known or strongly suspected to be storing weapons, bomb making supplies, publications inciting to violence. Arrest of Imams, Muftahs and other religious persons known to have allowed storage of prohibited items;

5) Build a comprehensive network of informers. Given the high level of unemployment, many Iraqis may be well disposed towards such an arrangement. Regularly monitor such informants to ensure they are not functioning as double agents. If they are, put the word on the street that they are Coalition spies, and observe what happens to them.

6) Target high-ranking extremists (excepting religious leaders) for assassination, but covert means and/or using Iraqis known/believed to be reliable;

7) Increase the number of public works projects underway, both to provide more employment and to improve the lot of the Iraqis. This should serve to drain manpower from the extremists;

8) Privately solicit aid and advisement from the other Arab nations, seeking suggestions and instructions of how to conduct affairs without offending the sensibilities of Arab culture and Islamic belief. Encourage them to provide input when coalition actions/activities are counter to such principles;

9) Any person(s) seen to be making or emplacing a known or suspected IED may be shot on sight; any person, on foot or in any conveyance, found to be transporting any firearm, ammunition, grenade, IED or component thereof, man-portable SAM system or component thereof, mine of any sort, CW or BW agent or precursor, radiological material; may be shot on sight;

10) Any person(s) seen or known to have attacked and/or killed any civilian, whether Iraqi , Coalition, or otherwise; will be apprehended by Coalition forces, Iraqi Police or troops, and incarcerated pending trial. Any person seen to be abusing, desecrating, dismembering or otherwise perpetrating any outrage or inhumanity upon the body of any victim of violence or terrorism, shall be apprehended and incarcerated pending referral to the International Court of Justice (The Hague, Netherlands) to be tried for war crimes.

11) Regularly (at least monthly) hold "town hall" meetings to inform the Iraqi people of the progress of Coalition programs to rebuild and modernize Iraq agencies and institutions. Such gatherings should also include a Q&A session, for the Iraqi people to present their concerns, complaints and suggestions. These should be held in Baghdad, Fallujah, Basra, Nasiriyah, Najaf, Mosul and Kirkuk.

There is guaranty of success, but the "carrot-and-stick" process has enjoyed success in many theaters. By courting the favor of the Iraqi people in a real and concrete manner, and at the same time scourging the terrorists and extremists, nobody, within or without Iraq, will have any doubt as to our intent.
                        Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                        (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Haven't the Israelis been using roughly that formula for 20-odd years (or at least the 'stick' side of it)?

I think I can say with certainty that no one, least of all the voting American public, is going to wait that long for 'success'.
                          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                            Good to hear from you Janos. Had noticed you hadn't posted in a few days and assumed you probably had your hands full with the latest events. In any event, thanks for showing us that not all Iraqis are like the ones we saw. I for one needed to be assured that they are not ALL like those ones.
                            I've been pretty busy out of the office for the last 4 days. I'm glad to be back.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Comment

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
                              My apologies, Janos, you are correct, destroying the bridge isn't a good idea. Stay safe over there, we back home appreciate what you're doing and fighting for!

- Bob
                              Thanks, Bob. I'll accept the appreciation on behalf of the soldiers who do all the work over here.

BTW, your idea was not bad, it was just the wrong target.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X