Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most significant event in the 20th century

Ok, another "significant" poll.

What single MILITARY event, in your opinion, most affected the 20th century?

I totally accept the vagueness of "significant".
    The launching of HMS Dreadnought
    0.00%
    The dropping of the atomic bomb
    50.00%
    The Six Day War
    0.00%
    The Russian Revolution
    0.00%
    The Marshall Plan
    0.00%
    Dien Bien Phu
    0.00%
    Communist victory in China
    0.00%
    Tsushima
    0.00%
    The assasination of Franz Ferdinand
    0.00%
    The death of Lenin
    0.00%
    Hitler appointed German Chancellor
    50.00%
    The formation of NATO
    0.00%
    The Cuban Missile Crisis
    0.00%
    The Gulf of Tonkin Incident
    0.00%
    Other (Please explain).
    0.00%

I'm going with the nukes. It made 'total' warfare (as a concept) obsolete between nations with such weapons. Every war since then has a been a proxy fight, bushwar, or against those not possessing said nuclear ability. It also ushered in the thought that we could destory ourselves and the planet if 'things got out of hand', something that could never have happened before, requiring warfare between powers to change.
    If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

I'm going to say the official formation (recognition) of the country of Israel after WW2. Nothing has been right in the middle east since.

Comment

New Years Day, 1900.

Without it there was no 20th Century.
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

The assassination of Ferdinand. Caused WW1 and indirectly WW2.
          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

The Wright brotherís flight. The airplane has made travel easy for everyone. Also allowed the bombing of cities (try to deliver an A-bomb to Japan without a plane).
            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersqn
              New Years Day, 1900.

lol... smartest answer ...

well, but I chose the A bomb... it defined a new age ... for man-kind from now on... its impact well lasts beyond only this century... and may well go into eternity...

There are certainly other important things, like the dissolution of USSR ... yet, they all only ranked second comparing to the bomb in my opinion.
              Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

I picked the naming of Hitler as Chancellor.

The A-Bomb would have been my choice but I feel that the impetus to develop the A-Bomb was driven by Nazi Germany's policies. Without the war, the A-Bomb would have been developed but probably much later.
                Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                  I'd have to agree. Without this spark to start WW I much of what followed would not have happened.

If this event is removed from history we have no great depression, no rise of Hitler, no WW II, BUT............

In fairness, if this hadn't started WW I something else in the Balkans would have
                  Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                    I had to go with this one too. It's like chaos theory - one thing leads to something else, which leads to something else...

Dr. S.
                    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

New Years Day, 1900.

Being really picky here, but shouldn't that be New Year's Day 1901?

Dr. S.
                      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                        Being really picky here, but shouldn't that be New Year's Day 1901?

Dr. S.
                        Well, wasn't Y2K the dawn of the new millenium ??

Comment

Well, wasn't Y2K the dawn of the new millenium ??
                          No, technically it wasn't.

There was no "Year 0". The AD calendar started with year 1, meaning that the start of the second century started at the END of year 100 after exactly 100 years, i.e. it commenced at year 101.

This is the same for every century, the 20th century commenced at the beginning of 1901, and the new millennium started in 2001, not 2000.

This didn't stop people celebrating mind you - as the late author Douglas Adams once said, it's just an excuse to watch all the numbers change all at once so you can go "wow, look at that!". But it doesn't change the facts.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Boy. Talk about bursting my bubble.

New Year's Day 1901 then.

Comment

Boy. Talk about bursting my bubble.

New Year's Day 1901 then.
                              Sorry! :thumb:

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X