• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Tank

M1A1/M1A2 Abrahm
    Challenger I/II
    Leopard I/II
    T-72

I think that the Challenger is the best one. I am an American but sometimes you have to put away bias and look at the facts. The Challenger is better than the Abrahm and is much better than the Leopard by a long shot. It has better sloped armour than the Abrahm/Leopard/T-72 and its technology on the inside is much better. Yes, of course, it is the operator of the tank that makes the difference, but in the case of a T-72, Michael Wittman couldn't operate that thing against a Leopard or an Abrahm let alone a Challenger if his life depended on it.

[I have asked this question before on other sites and people ask, "Why didn't you put the Bradley Tank on there?"

Here is why:

It is not a tank. It is a mechanized infantry unit. Looking at its armour, its features (being troop capacity and technology), its turret (main gun and TOW missiles), etc. it cannot fit the description of a tank.]

Your thoughts?
    M1A1/M1A2 Abrahm
    0%
    Challenger I/II
    0%
    Leopard I/II
    0%
    T-72
    0%

I remember a great quote from a Challenger 2 tank commander in the Gulf recently. His unit had been hit with many RPG attacks recently, but the tanks all shrugged off the hits.

He was asked by a reporter if there was any way an RPG could destroy a Challenger. According to the story, he thought about it and admitted there might be a danger...

... if you fired the rpg inside the tank.

Comment

I don't know if it's true, but I remember a story from the Gulf War in Tom Clancy's "Armored Cav." Something like 6 Abrahms tried to take out another Abrahm which was stuck/disabled and they didn't want to leave it behind to be captured. They couldn't damage it, so they had to wait and have it towed away. But then I've heard stories about Abrahms' being taken out by friendly fire from other tanks in the Gulf War, so I don't know what to believe.
      "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

I've read good things about the IDF's "Merkava" tank. Does anybody know about it's combat performance?
        Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

The Merkava is a revolutionary design with the ability to carry dismounts or litter patients. It's in the 3 modificaiton series now I think. It performed well enough in the Bekka valley in '82 but has not really been used in tank vs tank role since then.

Probably one of the better tanks that has never really been put to the test.

In DS one M1A1 took on four T-72's took four hits to its frontal armour while taking out all the T-72s...

I don't know of any tank that can take a hit in the engine and keep going.

The M1's that have been lost in Iraq were:

Thunder run mobility kills that had to be shot by other M1's, thermited, and torched....

One was flipped by a large mine or three 152mm arty rounds used as a mine...

There have been a couple taken down, but not destroyed by the 'mysterious penetrator' that put about a 1 inch hole throught the side armor. The The RPG-7 105VR rounds and some other late vintage technology (late 80's/early 90's) that have round designed to defeat reactive, addon, or ceramic armor.

IMO you can have the best piece of technology built, but if your troops have not been trained to a high standard, they will get their butts kicked. The Israelis proved that time and time again taking on the Syrians with older tanks in the 70's and winning.

Comment

1) Abrams M1A2
            2) Challanger II
            3) Merkava
            4) Leopard II
            5) T-72/80
            6) LeClerc

The Abrams and Challanger are very close in all respects. Hopefully the US and the UK will remain the best of allies so we never have to find out how they'd do head to head.
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Greatest Tank

Originally posted by nreese21
              M1A1/M1A2 Abrahm
              Challenger I/II
              Leopard I/II
              T-72

I think that the Challenger is the best one. I am an American but sometimes you have to put away bias and look at the facts. The Challenger is better than the Abrahm and is much better than the Leopard by a long shot. It has better sloped armour than the Abrahm/Leopard/T-72 and its technology on the inside is much better. Yes, of course, it is the operator of the tank that makes the difference, but in the case of a T-72, Michael Wittman couldn't operate that thing against a Leopard or an Abrahm let alone a Challenger if his life depended on it.

[I have asked this question before on other sites and people ask, "Why didn't you put the Bradley Tank on there?"

Here is why:

It is not a tank. It is a mechanized infantry unit. Looking at its armour, its features (being troop capacity and technology), its turret (main gun and TOW missiles), etc. it cannot fit the description of a tank.]

Your thoughts?
              As for the Bradley not being a tank.....the Amored Personnel Carrier (APC) has tactically replaced the light tank. So just make a list for a different category.
              Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by HiredGoon
                I don't know if it's true, but I remember a story from the Gulf War in Tom Clancy's "Armored Cav." Something like 6 Abrahms tried to take out another Abrahm which was stuck/disabled and they didn't want to leave it behind to be captured. They couldn't damage it, so they had to wait and have it towed away. But then I've heard stories about Abrahms' being taken out by friendly fire from other tanks in the Gulf War, so I don't know what to believe.
                Yeah I heard that too. I would rather go with a Challenger.

To Dingbat: I dont think that an RPG could do much damage to a Challenger. While tanks have gone down because of RPG's, the only damage was when the tank was encircled and the treads were knocked off. That's all that happenned.

All the crew has to do is (besides eliminate the threat) call in a repair crew and get it working in a couple of days.

Comment

BTW, who voted for the Leopard????!!!!

Comment

I would have said A7V, but that wasn't on there.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir
                      I've read good things about the IDF's "Merkava" tank. Does anybody know about it's combat performance?
                      I've heard it has good defensive abilities, something like doors on the back for easy reloading.....

Comment

Originally posted by Archamus
                        I've heard it has good defensive abilities, something like doors on the back for easy reloading.....
                        The tank can actually carry a fire team. That's what the doors in the back are for.
                        The engine is mounted in the front of the hull, giving an increased protection factor for the crew.
                        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir
                          For more details check www.fprado.com
                          Lance W.

Comment

Bear in mind the Abrams and the Merkava can fire on the move; I don't think the Challenger. Course, the abrams has the irritating situation of traveling one to a C-130, but thats what you getwhen you build a 70ton tank.

Comment

Originally posted by hobomagic
                              Bear in mind the Abrams and the Merkava can fire on the move; I don't think the Challenger. Course, the abrams has the irritating situation of traveling one to a C-130, but thats what you getwhen you build a 70ton tank.
                              The Challenger CAN fire on the move; as can the Leclerc
                              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X