Best army in the world? Tough call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best army in the world? Tough call

Ok everyone if we were attempting to determine the best army in the world it would be more challenging to vote by different era's. I guess that appropriate though considering the differences in technology. Asking who has the best military is a very general question and difficult to answer, but while thinking about it I would have to argue that the United States has the best military currently and I am trying not to be biased.
    Infromation some of you may not have known:
    1. U.S. spends 283.1 billion in defense expenditures. 3.1 percent of our GDP. and the size of armed forces in thousands- 1,371.5
    The only others that come remotely close to that are the following.
    2. Russia spends 56.8 billion in defense spending. 6.9 percent of global total.
    3. China spends 39.9 billion in defense spending. 4.9 percent of global total.
    Japan spends 40.4 billion in defense spending. 0.9 percent of GDP. 242.6 in thousands of armed forces size.
    4. France spends 32.9 billiion in defense expenidtures. 2.7 percent of GDP. 317.3 thousands in size of armed forces.
    5. United Kingdom spends 36.9 billion in defensense expenditures. 3.6 percent of GDP. 212.4 thousands in size of armed forces.
    6. Germany spends 31.1 billion in defense expeditures. 1.6 percent of GDP. 332.8 thousands in size of armed forces.

These are just a few facts you may want to consider when thinking about who has the best army in the world.
    When thinking about this you also have to consider the country's objective for their army. The only downfall the United States might have in its objective is the number of people it has in its Military. This right now is roughly about 1.2 milliion. Considerably smaller from the day of WW II or Vietnam and even the Korean conflict. But if the U.S. did have to create more personnel number in their military I'm sure it would not be a problem.

This is interesting what you are pointing out. Then according to your stats, the USA has the largest spending, therefore they should have the best armed forces? Interesting. Being Canadian, I can say that we don't. The spending isn't there. Being ex-military and still following the line (my wife always says to put me in a glass container and break only in case of war), today's army is lacking not the heart and courage, but the support of our government. OK, I'm going on and on, sorry. Best army for me would have to be the Israelis. Been at war three times since 1948, won against overwhelming odds. Great secret service. Still in crisis today and Israel is still there. They get my vote.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Well, if you are writing this thread in response to my other post and poll about the "best" armies of the world, just keep in mind I put together a very specific scenario to use as a comparison sheet for armies of the present day.

I think there can be no doubt that the most diverse, survivable, power-projecting, adapatable armed forces in the present day is the USA. No other nation on earth can put together 3 rock solid arms of their military (air/land/sea) as the US can. When you add in marines, space-based assets, medical tech, logistics, professional soldiers, etc. it only strengthens the case. In an all out, gloves off war you also have to consider the tactical nuclear capabilities of world powers. Certainly the US has the strongest armed forces in the world, but does that make it the best? Undoubtedly there will be opinions on that.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian King
        Well, if you are writing this thread in response to my other post and poll about the "best" armies of the world, just keep in mind I put together a very specific scenario to use as a comparison sheet for armies of the present day.

I think there can be no doubt that the most diverse, survivable, power-projecting, adapatable armed forces in the present day is the USA. No other nation on earth can put together 3 rock solid arms of their military (air/land/sea) as the US can. When you add in marines, space-based assets, medical tech, logistics, professional soldiers, etc. it only strengthens the case. In an all out, gloves off war you also have to consider the tactical nuclear capabilities of world powers. Certainly the US has the strongest armed forces in the world, but does that make it the best? Undoubtedly there will be opinions on that.

Well said!!
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

This is a rather parochial point of view, but the Australian army has not got a bad win/ loss ratio. I shall not bore you with details, but the evidence is documented. ie Pozieres, 1916; Kokoda track, 1942; Kapyong, 1951; Long Tan,1966

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X