Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're havin' a heat wave....What's your non-AC solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're havin' a heat wave....What's your non-AC solution?

Well, we're on our 3rd heat wave of the summah up heah on the shoht seacoast. We don't have AC for several reasons, a.) the house is 352 years old and not anywhere near being airtight, open concept, or dahk. 2.) the house is 352 years old and won't accept any new technology. C.) I'm just friggin' cheap and don't wanna shell out big bucks for somethin' I may not use more than a few times a yeeah.
    What's your non AC solution for dealin' with a heat wave?
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

You should do something to circulate the air. My maternal Grandparents had a large box fan in a dining room window. It could and did cool off the area. Here we can not turn the AC on high enough to really cool the place, so I turn off all the excess lights and use Fans to hit the area I am sitting in. [email protected] has a cheap floor fan for a little over $20. I am on my second one this year. The first one fell over and quit working, so I spent another $20 or so to replace it. Good Luck!

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Yup. Got 4 fans moving the air. I even froze a block of ice to put in front of one of them. Dropped the temp about 2 degrees but at least the air's moving. I figure the electric usage is about the same as an AC unit...
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
        Well, we're on our 3rd heat wave of the summah up heah on the shoht seacoast. We don't have AC for several reasons, a.) the house is 352 years old and not anywhere near being airtight, open concept, or dahk. 2.) the house is 352 years old and won't accept any new technology. C.) I'm just friggin' cheap and don't wanna shell out big bucks for somethin' I may not use more than a few times a yeeah.
        What's your non AC solution for dealin' with a heat wave?
        Fans.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Sorry, I saw this 2 hours ago, but I've only just stopped laughing!!!

I'm in Scotland, we've had a day of torrential downpour (sod the waterproofs, I need a wetsuit !), and the Big Man's been chucking his wardrobe down the stairs for hours.
          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Fans are the best solution, you can get some with water misters attached.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
            Bukowski

Comment

Put a bunch of these in your freezer and they will keep you nice and cool. Just wrap a towel around it. Make sure you have enough to rotate. They keep cold for hours.

Last edited by Nikki; 12 Aug 20, 00:31.
              “Someone who doesn’t know is less stupid than someone who wrongly think he knows."

Comment

A cooling neck gaiter is also good way to stay cool. Wet it down and put it on then sit in front of a fan.

“Someone who doesn’t know is less stupid than someone who wrongly think he knows."

Comment

If you have an outdoor patio or backyard, you can install a misting system.

Comment

Well! Thanks for all the great solutions. We'd like to have a few of those torrential downpours around here, Ace, we've been sitting in a drought for the past month and a half.
                    One of the great things about living on a Caribbean island {} is that no matter which direction it comes from, every breeze is a seabreeze.
                    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                      Well! Thanks for all the great solutions. We'd like to have a few of those torrential downpours around here, Ace, we've been sitting in a drought for the past month and a half.
                      One of the great things about living on a Caribbean island {} is that no matter which direction it comes from, every breeze is a seabreeze.
                      And every bad storm is a disaster.

We've got friends live in the DR.

Comment

Sweat a lot.
                        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Sleep in your bathtub.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X