The Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bear

The dogs woke us at 0230 or so yesterday but we saw nothing. In the morning our dumpster ,a good sized one, was tipped over and all the trash pulled out and torn apart. A neighbor up the road reported seeing an adult bear (that's 300 - 35o lbs!) was caught tipping over his dumpster and driven off. Smart bear - he ran off onto BLM land.

DoW came out, took reports from everyone, gave useful tips and advice on deterrence, issued 12 ga rubber slug shotgun rounds on request and confirmed that - Yep -there's a grown up bear! The game warden has seen him, too! And here I was, happy not to see the raccoons anymore...

All we need to finish this up is a parade of elephants and a brass band!

This is typical of an adult Colorado black bear:

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

I suppose you could look at the bright side and be glad it's not a Grizzly. Much bigger and usually more ornery.
    On a serious note, you might want to look into a better dumpster that is bearproof. If they know food is no longer available, they'll quit coming around. Then they are just your neighbors' problem.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      I suppose you could look at the bright side and be glad it's not a Grizzly. Much bigger and usually more ornery.
      On a serious note, you might want to look into a better dumpster that is bearproof. If they know food is no longer available, they'll quit coming around. Then they are just your neighbors' problem.
      Yeah, the company offers bearproof dumpsters, but lot more expensive and costs more to have them emptied - driver has to dismount, unlock and all that. The DoW officer had some effective and inexpensive tips that work equally well, plus any food is now double-bagged and mothballs are added regularly to the dumpster.

We'll see how it goes.

Never met a grizzly, but just the videos have me convinced to be somewhere else!

Comment

PLWLT-Part-II-Photo-02-600lb-Black-Bear-Copyright-Robert-J-Andersen.jpg

Blimey, and here's me moaning about next door's cat!!!

The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

We have been visited by bears several times over the last 3 months. Luckily she seems to just be traveling through our acreage on her way elsewhere. We have only seen prints, but our trail cams have gotten pics of the mother and 2 cubs several times.Every so often my deer dogs go crazy barking at something in the woods, I have been out to the pen and looked but I did not see anything. I am armed when I go to check though, just in case.

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Bears have made a comeback in the area where I return to hunt with long time friends. When out for coyotes, I no longer carry a weapon for them, but rather one that will put down a black bear if need arises. As much as I don't want to shoot one, you can easily wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time when a sow with cubs is involved.

Regards,
            Dennis
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Den, keep yer head down and yer powder dry...
              you're getting a bit old for all this Rambo stuff matey!!!

Is not lost in darkness
              Over the fruitful earth
              And athwart the seas
              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Amen...

Comment

This from a man who used to willingly jump out of perfectly functioning airplanes!?

But you do have a point!

Best regards,
                  Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post

This from a man who used to willingly jump out of perfectly functioning airplanes!?

But you do have a point!

Best regards,
                    Dennis
                    So did I, and I can personally testify that doing so does not make me any brighter or better informed. In fact, slamming into the ground like...

Comment

Bears have made a comeback in the area where I return to hunt with long time friends. When out for coyotes, I no longer carry a weapon for them, but rather one that will put down a black bear if need arises. As much as I don't want to shoot one, you can easily wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time when a sow with cubs is involved.

Regards,
                      Dennis
                      What do you carry?

I've got a Savage 12ga with two rubber rounds followed by six solid deer slugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

So did I, and I can personally testify that doing so does not make me any brighter or better informed. In fact, slamming into the ground like...
                        I'd have never thought you were as simple as that old limey!

Regards,
                        Dennis

Comment

Started with a 22LR for the coyotes until the bears moved back in. Now it's the 06 with extra mags. I have to say the aging process makes the camp and wood stove more attractive as a stand every year!

Regards,
                          Dennis

Comment

I'd have never thought you were as simple as that old limey!

Regards,
                            Dennis
                            Nobody is as simple as The Von!!!
                            Is not lost in darkness
                            Over the fruitful earth
                            And athwart the seas
                            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Nobody is as simple as The Von!!!
                              I beg your forgiveness my old friend! Truly, no one can reach your level of simplicity!

Regards,
                              Dennis

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X