Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people buy the vehicle they really need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people buy the vehicle they really need?

I drive over 100 kms a day to and from work, plus I need a vehicle that can carry five passengers. While a lot of cars can fill that role, I really look at fuel economy as the main factor when choosing the right car. And my current vehicle, a Ford Mondeo turbo diesel wagon ticks all the boxes... the full economy is 5.8 litre per 100 kms, carries five people and can carry lots of stuff with all the seats folded down in the back. So unless I find another vehicle that can do better, my next car will be an updated turbo diesel Ford Mondeo wagon.

Everyone has different reasons in what they buy, for me its fuel economy... what main factors do you look for when buying your car?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Whats that in MPGs?

Mine does about 48-50 with a lot of town driving. I think that's pretty good for a 150 horses and decent internal capacity..

Next car I'd like should be able to glide over potholes!

Comment

Speaking of pot holes, I had this happen to me at 1:30am in the morning. Wasn’t fun changing it.
      At least steel rims can be repaired.

EBDF4815-28E6-42F5-A85E-C3FFBA523FA6.jpeg
      Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
        Whats that in MPGs?

Mine does about 48-50 with a lot of town driving. I think that's pretty good for a 150 horses and decent internal capacity..

Trick question. Gooner uses Imperial gaLLONS....

I buy it car gives it good memories old country motoring....
        Last edited by marktwain; 26 Feb 20, 06:42.
        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

All depends on the people doing the buying. A lot do, and a lot buy something flashy.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
            Whats that in MPGs?

Only one owner, low miles, little old lady who only drove it to church...

Comment

I have to wonder though, lots of people want a duel cab 4x4 yet have to tow a trailer because the tray is too short. Those who buy a large boat or caravan need a large 4x4, yet they only take it out a few times a year... in the meantime use that large 4x4 everyday unnecessarily. People who buy a diesel yet only do short trips around town.
              Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Yup. Plenty of folks looking for prestige or overcompensation buy 4x4 vehicles that will never meet off-road dirt.
                ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                2) Enjoy playing it
                3) Enjoy sharing it
                4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

I had the chance to get a brand new top of the range 4x4 at a much cheaper rate, the temptation was certainly there. But I just had to think about how much extra fuel I'd use per week, insurance, cost of replacing the large tires and other running costs. It just didn't make sense to go ahead with the purchase. I'd be stuck with a car that would have given me only half the distance my current car can travel, cost twice as much in fuel in the process, give the insurance company a pay rise and be left with something difficult to navigate in carparks and narrow roads.
                  Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
                    Yup. Plenty of folks looking for prestige or overcompensation buy 4x4 vehicles that will never meet off-road dirt.
                    The Trophy Wives of America salute the Cadillac Escalade!!

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                      I had the chance to get a brand new top of the range 4x4 at a much cheaper rate, the temptation was certainly there. But I just had to think about how much extra fuel I'd use per week, insurance, cost of replacing the large tires and other running costs. It just didn't make sense to go ahead with the purchase. I'd be stuck with a car that would have given me only half the distance my current car can travel, cost twice as much in fuel in the process, give the insurance company a pay rise and be left with something difficult to navigate in carparks and narrow roads.
                      That's why we turned to Hyundai. A fully equipped all-wheel drive Sante Fe with all of the bells, whistle and toys runs about 28,000, gets excellent mileage and needs little maintenance. M-in-law's Sante Fe has 354,000 miles on it and runs like a Swiss watch, and gets 28 mpg in the city! And they have a high resale!

Comment

I have to wonder though, lots of people want a duel cab 4x4 yet have to tow a trailer because the tray is too short. Those who buy a large boat or caravan need a large 4x4, yet they only take it out a few times a year... in the meantime use that large 4x4 everyday unnecessarily. People who buy a diesel yet only do short trips around town.
                        This is Vancouver Island in a nutshell. It's supposed to be the center of things "green" in Canada yet when I moved from Toronto the first thing I noticed was all the damn monster pickup trucks. Most of which look like nothing has ever been put in the bed.

My last car was a Mazdaspeed 3. That was a sweet car. Fast, powerful, yet practical. I mostly indulged in that after a decade driving a Honda Civic commuting utensil and I was bored out of my mind driving it. I liked the car so much it's my avatar.

My absolute favorite car was my '86 Toyota MR2. Beautiful car.

But the next car will have to be an EV. It just makes too much sense on the island. Any driving we'd do on the island is within range of the battery, there are plentiful charge stations, and gas prices are already the highest in Canada.

Comment

4 x 4 tires last a lot longer than normal. Mine have done 50,000 miles and are still legal. I get reasonable fuel consumption at c45 miles per gallon. Insurance isn't too bad and with the state of the roads in the UK one needs a robust car to get around. Also baring accidents diesel 4 x 4 s ast a long time and given the moves to ban new cars by the environmentalists we need a car that can go a lifetime.
                          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That's why we turned to Hyundai. A fully equipped all-wheel drive Sante Fe with all of the bells, whistle and toys runs about 28,000, gets excellent mileage and needs little maintenance. M-in-law's Sante Fe has 354,000 miles on it and runs like a Swiss watch, and gets 28 mpg in the city! And they have a high resale!
                            I can't fault a Hyundai, their i40 wagon was my 2nd choice when I was in the yard looking for my next car. The only reason I didn't buy it was because the Ford Mondeo has a turbo diesel and the i40 was a 2 litre petrol.
                            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

4 x 4 tires last a lot longer than normal. Mine have done 50,000 miles and are still legal. I get reasonable fuel consumption at c45 miles per gallon. Insurance isn't too bad and with the state of the roads in the UK one needs a robust car to get around. Also baring accidents diesel 4 x 4 s ast a long time and given the moves to ban new cars by the environmentalists we need a car that can go a lifetime.
                              That's fine, if it makes better practical sense to have a larger car which costs no more than what a smaller car can provide you then I can't argue against it. In my circumstances, my tires will set me back less than $500, will last about 70,000 kms( I do mostly highway travel), my wife had a larger car that had tires which had similar wear time but it cost us about $900 to replace.
                              I get over 1,100kms from a tank of diesel, while most petrol cars can only do half that. So at the end of the day, a turbo diesel sedan or wagon is a car that gives me the best value for money in running costs. My dad bought a v6 diesel SUV when he retired and only rarely took it out for long drives, the car was choking up with soot due to the lack of driving time. I finally convinced him to get a brand new MX-5 with skyactive petrol and he quickly realised how much more practical the Mazda was for his daily use.
                              Last edited by Achtung Baby; 27 Feb 20, 23:13.
                              Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X