Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Love Country Living

Here's something you city folk will probably never experience:

Woke up today, big snowfall last night, temp this AM at ZERO.

Auto shop called, and my truck is ready. Owners tells me to call him at the intersection of the state highway and the crossroad and he will go start my truck and let it warm up.

I called, got there, and the truck is parked in front of the office door, engine idling, heater blasting, and the owner had a cup of coffee waiting for me when I come in, along with my keys.

This is what old fashioned "service" means out here, in a rural Western community.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

How did the redneck keep your truck running without your keys?
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
      Auto shop called, and my truck is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Yes, but how did you truck keep running without the key inside the ignition?

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 3.07.41 PM.png
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

[QUOTE=Salinator;n5169809]

Yes, but how did you truck keep running without the key inside the ignition?[QUOTE]

You related to Pelosi?

Comment

How to Hotwire a Car
            • Method 1 Hot-Wiring the Steering Column. Enter the car.
            • Method 2 Drilling the Lock Pins. Position the drill on the keyhole about 2/3 of the way up.
            • Method 3 Powering the Dash. Open the hood and locate the red coil wire.
            3 Quick and Easy Ways to Hotwire Your Car - wikiHow

www.wikihow.com/Hotwire-a-Car
            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Yes, but how did you truck keep running without the key inside the ignition?

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 3.07.41 PM.png
              Now THAT's a Dumptruck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Here's something you city folk will probably never experience:

Woke up today, big snowfall last night, temp this AM at ZERO.

Auto shop called, and my truck is ready. Owners tells me to call him at the intersection of the state highway and the crossroad and he will go start my truck and let it warm up.

I called, got there, and the truck is parked in front of the office door, engine idling, heater blasting, and the owner had a cup of coffee waiting for me when I come in, along with my keys.

This is what old fashioned "service" means out here, in a rural Western community.

In wealthy neighborhoods, you'll get that kind of service...and more. They would deliver your car to your home.
                "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

In wealthy neighborhoods, you'll get that kind of service...and more. They would deliver your car to your home.
                  This is done out of friendship and a sense of community, which makes it worth infinitely more. It isn't what people will do for money that matters, but what they do voluntarily.

Comment

Some vehicles, especially older ones, you can do this. Once started the key can be pulled from the ignition slot. I've a 1999 Plymouth van and a 1988 Chevy S10 and both allow me to withdraw key from ignition while engine is running. Comes in handy if I remember something left in the house and need to pop in for a minute ~ don't have to shut off the vehicle to get my keyring/keys.

Do need to have the key back in to properly turn off.
                    Last edited by G David Bock; 06 Feb 20, 13:27.
                    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

Some vehicles, especially older ones, you can do this. Once started the key can be pulled from the ignition slot. I've a 1999 Plymouth van and a 1988 Chevy S10 and both allow me to withdraw key from ignition while engine is running. Comes in handy if I remember something left in the house and need to pop in for a minute ~ don't have to shut off the vehicle to get my keyring/keys.

Do need to have the key back in to properly turn off.
                      Finding the truck when its abandoned a state away - out of gas - isn't a proper turn off...
                      Its a right properoff

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

Finding the truck when its abandoned a state away - out of gas - isn't a proper turn off...
                        Its a right properoff
                        I also live "in the country".
                        I park my vehicles in the front yard/"lawn" which is a space of only about 30' from my front door to (busy) county arterial road I'm on.
                        Rarely have any "pedestrians" walking by; know and trust my neighbors.
                        Practice the Second Amendment and have great relations with the County Sheriff (deputies up and down my road frequently).

I've better odds on winning the Lotto than a vehicle stolen while I'm only feet away.
                        Last edited by G David Bock; 06 Feb 20, 13:27.
                        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Occam's Razor: The auto shop had the keys in order to service the vehicle, and left the keys in it after they started it. And since they parked it right outside the door, they had an eye on it.

You city people make things so complicated it's a wonder you can even flush a toilet.

I did enjoy the photo of Salinator's truck, though, although no one around here would be seen dead in it.

Comment

Yeah, there are a lot of advantages to living in the country (rural areas).

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X