Info about Minnesota.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about Minnesota.

My eldest daughter has just been selected to help in a special needs camp in Minnesota, starting in June she will be there for three months.

Just wondering if any US members here have any helpful info regarding Minnesota, and of any nice tourist destinations in the area worth visiting?

What will the weather be like there in June, July and August?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

I would mention that the US Army conducts Arctic Training in Minnesota and NOT Alaska. There is a possibility of snow every month of the year. My younger daughter lives in Pennsylvania and they also have a chance of snow every month of the year. Baseball season will be playing all Summer. Tell her to bring some warm clothes for emergencies.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Bug spray as well. I've had folks tell me parts of Minnesota are like Michigan in the summer. Divided into two seasons, black fly and mosquito.
      All states put out tourism books. Have her request those that may interest her or be in her region. I believe this link will help with that: https://mn.gov/tourism-industry

Regards,
      Dennis

If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
        My eldest daughter has just been selected to help in a special needs camp in Minnesota, starting in June she will be there for three months.

Just wondering if any US members here have any helpful info regarding Minnesota, and of any nice tourist destinations in the area worth visiting?

What will the weather be like there in June, July and August?
        It would depend on what part of the state she will be in. The north shore and boundary waters are beautiful if you don’t mind paddling around since they don’t like motors there.
        Don’t worry about warm clothes in the summer she is more likely to get sunburned. Road construction is a major ongoing activity during the summer months so she will see a lot of orange cones.
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Minnesota (Twin cities and south) can be very hot in the summer. Bug spray is a must if not in a big city. Fort Snelling is worth a visit for the day.
          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Thx for the info, she’s going to be in a town just out of Minneapolis... surrounded by lakes. Yeah, sounds like bug spray is a must. Does that mean it’s quite humid there during July?
            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Speaking of lakes... that is where the LA Lakers got their nickname.
              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                Thx for the info, she’s going to be in a town just out of Minneapolis... surrounded by lakes. Yeah, sounds like bug spray is a must. Does that mean it’s quite humid there during July?
                Yes, it can be humid there at times. If she has time there are a lot of opportunities for canoeing around the cities.
                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

It can be humid, but not the tropical kind. There are bugs, but they can be protected against. The chances of snow are about 0.0001%. Temperatures should be in the 10*C-27*C range but can get cooler at night and warmer on some days. It's a nice, scenic area. The Superior Hiking Trail north out of Duluth is very scenic, if she can make it up there.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                    It can be humid, but not the tropical kind. There are bugs, but they can be protected against. The chances of snow are about 0.0001%. Temperatures should be in the 10*C-27*C range but can get cooler at night and warmer on some days. It's a nice, scenic area. The Superior Hiking Trail north out of Duluth is very scenic, if she can make it up there.
                    I don’t think she’s that keen, but from what you guys are saying so far it would be a shame if she didn’t.
                    There are a few states in America I’d love to see, maybe her trip will spur the rest of us to check it the US one day.
                    Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Minnesota doesn't have the mountains, but if you like deep woods and scenic lakeshores, there's no place better. Tell her to work on her English before she comes here.
                      Minnesota has a weird (but good) demographic. It was mainly settled by Scandinavians. They brought their brand of liberalism here. By that, I don't mean the batshitte crazy left wing stuff but more of the live-and-let-live style of classic liberalism. In Duluth, you have the young, urban treehuggers and the hard-bitten blue collar workers (big mining area) and they all seem to get along. I won't mention the one Somali-born congresswoman who is just crazy...

Comment

I have a niece who lives next to St.Paul……….her and her husband like it...…..

Comment

Another thing I need to ask, the etiquette of tipping money when going out. How much is a reasonable amount to tip people when eating out, in a taxi etc?
                          Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

I have only used Taxis on a trip up to the Denver Airport and at the Bush Airport in Houston. I paid the meter in Denver plus about 20%. I paid $100 to get back to Spring, TX plus a bigger tip as I was glad to get home. Denver is high altitude and I felt it. I could barely fit in the bathroom and I was on diuretics at the time. The only thing I recall fondly about Denver was they had a John Elway's Steakhouse in the building.

A lot depends on where you go to eat. A good place with great service might expect 20%. If she is sitting with a large crowd they may expect more. Tipping is not expected at the fast food joints. At a Pancake Place I might 10 to 15%. I live near the Gulf of Mexico and don't eat much seafood, but as a rule, the further you are from a large body of water, the less you might want the Fish. I ate in a Red Lobster in Ames, IA once and not only did they have a small steak on the menu, that farmgirl waitress had never heard of Sweet Tea! I had to get unsweet Tea and add my own sugar. I did not end up giving her over a 10% tip. She was not enthusiastic and did not like my attempts at humor. I figured living in Ames and going to Iowa State was already punishing her.

They may have a regional dish or two in Minnesota, but what it is, I can't say. For instance I would not recommend Prairie Oysters. I hear Canada pours gravy on French Fries...

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

So tipping 20% on top of what she orders is reasonable, provided the service was above average.... 10% as a base rate for anything that isn't worth rewarding, is that right?
                              Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X