The End of Win7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of Win7

I got the official e-mail a couple of days ago. All support for the Win7 platform will end Jan 202o. There goes Steel Panthers, my last PC wargames. I have no idea what S I'll be stuck with after this.

Thank you, Bill Gates, and may the fleas of a thousand camels invest your crotch.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I got the official e-mail a couple of days ago. All support for the Win7 platform will end Jan 202o. There goes Steel Panthers, my last PC wargames. I have no idea what S I'll be stuck with after this.

Thank you, Bill Gates, and may the fleas of a thousand camels invest your crotch.
    Have you tried DxWnd? I haven't tried it myself, but apparently, running older Windows games through this works quite well on Windows 10.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

Also, end of support doesn't mean Windows 7 will stop working. It just means Microsoft is going to stop issuing updates, security fixes, and technical support for it. You should be just fine continuing to use Win7.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post

Have you tried DxWnd? I haven't tried it myself, but apparently, running older Windows games through this works quite well on Windows 10.
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

Also, end of support doesn't mean Windows 7 will stop working. It just means Microsoft is going to stop issuing updates, security fixes, and technical support for it. You should be just fine continuing to use Win7.
      Yeah...but got to change someday.

Comment

There are still people clinging on to XP, swearing that it was the best Windows ever. You're lucky 7 has been supported for long, Microsoft bailed on Vista only two years after release over almost no outcry because not that many were sold.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I love my little Win7 Toshiba laptop, may it live forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
            There are still people clinging on to XP, swearing that it was the best Windows ever. You're lucky 7 has been supported for long, Microsoft bailed on Vista only two years after release over almost no outcry because not that many were sold.
            I briefly tried Vista -memory hog and a poor performer. I'm clinging to what I've got - my only PC game left to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
              Vista sucked dog's balls. I'm surprised they looked after it for so long.
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

My Laptop switched from 7 to ten automaticly, I switched it back to 7, and I guess it will stay there until it dies, I hated it when XP died, I wish I could meet Bill Gates, to kick him in the Balls!
                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                  My Laptop switched from 7 to ten automaticly, I switched it back to 7, and I guess it will stay there until it dies, I hated it when XP died, I wish I could meet Bill Gates, to kick him in the Balls!
                  I'll be the guy standing right behind you, cheering you one and waiting for my turn to beat him to death with a frozen hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post

Vista sucked dog's balls. I'm surprised they looked after it for so long.
                    They invested pretty heavily in it, kind of like Ford did with the Edsel.

Comment

You can still use Windows 7 and play Steel Panthers, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Financially it doesn't make sense for MS to support an outdated platform forever. Can't be mad at them for that.
                      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

I upgraded seven machines from Win 7 or 8.1 to 10 because no security updates means greater vulnerability when one goes online. Almost all proceeded smoothly, and all upgrades free. The hardware specs ranged from a Celeron with only 4 GB RAM to an i7 with 8 GB.

I noticed that Win 10 runs much better than XP, 7, and 8.1 due to improvements in the internals.

I tried Steel Panthers--World at War, and it ran fine, with no need to troubleshoot compatibility.

I also managed to run a few more programs (from 2011, 2007, 2003, and 1996), and some of them ran correctly. For those that didn't, I did "troubleshoot compatibility."

It also ran DOS games using a DOSBox and older apps and even operating systems using VirtualBox.

Finally, I used Open Shell to make the desktop look like Win 7, and ran O&O Shutup10.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I briefly tried Vista -memory hog and a poor performer. I'm clinging to what I've got - my only PC game left to play.
                          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                          Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X