Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Consanguinity as a major predictor of levels of democracy: A study of 70 nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
    No amount of philosophical sophistication is going to overturn the common sense observation that intelligence is essential to social organization
    Sorry, wolf, but I have to reject this one as well. Ants and bees are extremely socialized but not "intelligent". The same is true of dolphins and whales, who might be more intelligent than we are.

Socializing is nothing more than banding together to make the best of things and deciding where one;s place in within that group. We now know that Neanderthals, long thought to be very primitive and low on the intelligence scale were, in fact, socially quite advanced.

Maybe the problem is redefining "intelligence"?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post

Personally, I don't think anyone looks all that good in a diaper.
      Interestingly, he shows obvious signs of feminization - gynecomastia and a female pelvic shape with a pelvis wider than his upper body.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Sorry, wolf, but I have to reject this one as well. Ants and bees are extremely socialized but not "intelligent". The same is true of dolphins and whales, who might be more intelligent than we are.

Socializing is nothing more than banding together to make the best of things and deciding where one;s place in within that group. We now know that Neanderthals, long thought to be very primitive and low on the intelligence scale were, in fact, socially quite advanced.

Maybe the problem is redefining "intelligence"?
        Right now we are ants but earlier we were not. You can reject it all you want but complex social organization in an agrarian society such as Sumerian society requires abstract reasoning. You have to follow along and fill in the missing bits because I'm typing on a phone.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Right now we are ants but earlier we were not. You can reject it all you want but complex social organization in an agrarian society such as Sumerian society requires abstract reasoning. You have to follow along and fill in the missing bits because I'm typing on a phone.
          And good morning to you, too. You can make an argument for highly complex social organization...until you end up in New York City where "consanguinity" becomes something of a joke in the midst of one of the most complex social organizations in the world.

I'm not really fan of one-size-fits-all as an answer to much of anything.

Maybe you should buy a phone with more keys?

Comment

like I said if you have serious questions address them to the authors. I'm not an expert.

That said I am unhappy you elected to call me a liar. You fail to understand my philosophy in which there are only trivial absolute truths. It isn't so much shades of grey as humility. I'm not so insecure as to be easily offended but what would be the point of talking to a liar.
            None of us think that you are lying.....I would recommend reading Paul TILLICH- my Quest for absolutes.

\btw- since our last discussion I did some research; Dr. Brinkley's establishment was flooded by the Milford reservoir in 1968- and Milford town was moved to higher ground. Strangely, nothing in the town seems to have ben named after him.
            Milford is now a lakeside resort, and it's nudie beach is rated 'best in Kansas'https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=milford+kansas+nudie+beach&qpvt=milford+k ansas+nudie+beach&form=IGRE&first=1&cw=1129&ch=511
            Last edited by marktwain; 20 Nov 19, 20:11.
            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...70-Nations.pdf

Interesting study, I'm a little sceptical of the degree to which the conclusions rely on biological determinism but even that is good for thought.
              You do realize that the definition of consanguinity is incest and inbreeding, correct?

NOUN
              the fact of being descended from the same ancestor.
              "the marriage was annulled on grounds of consanguinity"

Comment

You do realize that the definition of consanguinity is incest and inbreeding, correct?

You should be too full of Turkey to be posting
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

You should be too full of Turkey to be posting
                  As should you.

Comment

As should you.
                    Turkey withdraw symptoms go away after a few hours, besides I had what's good for you: beef.
                    We hunt the hunters

Comment

As should you.
                      Since we are being personal I have sympathy for what I have come to believe is your overall philosophy. Something similar to kiss my ass :-) or "keep it simple stupid" . Knowing that you are from a medical background I understand the similarity with engineering in that practicality is job one. That proven practices not theories dominate the art.

If we were here to solve anything that would be ok by me. The primary function of this format however is entertainment. Even in the military section the complexity tends to overwhelm the facts. It comes down to personality and what you find entertaining.

I read scientific papers for entertainment. I really don't care how well written they are. This undoubtedly reflects my deficiency in art appreciation. Perhaps an even more serious condition related to autistic personality traits.
                      Last edited by wolfhnd; 29 Nov 19, 12:23.
                      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Since we are being personal I have sympathy for what I have come to believe is your overall philosophy. Something similar to kiss my ass :-) or "keep it simple stupid" . Knowing that you are from a medical background I understand the similarity with engineering in that practicality is job one. That proven practices not theories dominate the art.

If we were here to solve anything that would be ok by me. The primary function of this format however is entertainment. Even in the military section the complexity tends to overwhelm the facts. It comes down to personality and what you find entertaining.

I read scientific papers for entertainment. I really don't care how well written they are. This undoubtedly reflects my deficiency in art appreciation. Perhaps an even more serious condition related to autistic personality traits.
                        Of course we medical types are empiricists. Would you like to be my patient/guinea pig for testing wild theories, folk remedies and crystal healing, or do you actually expect serious treatments based upon proven, viable and reproducible results obtained through decades of research, vigorous testing, skill and experience? Want a real doctor or a witch doctor? You're comparing watermelons and guinea pigs. (Although I do have a terrific anecdote about a colleague and a malingerer!)

Meanwhile, I see no connection in your post to the actual definition of consanguinity as in-breeding, and the subsequent rise of democracies. How that is supposed to be entertaining...I have no clue, but it does nicely explain the origin of politicians.

Reading anything for entertainment is commendable, but not as a source of serious discussion. You might consider making use of some of the available emoticons to insure that the rest of us poor savages better understand your intent, because your often lengthy and highly pendantic posts do not come across in any way as "funny" or "entertaining"; they come across as serious statements of fact.

Or come up with a more humorous writing style.

Comment

Turkey withdraw symptoms go away after a few hours, besides I had what's good for you: beef.
                          And I didn't eat any turkey at all, since we did not have Thanksgiving dinner due to travel delays of family. Still haven't had it and probably won't.

Comment

Hmm...wolfh0und is strangely silent on the issue of the actual definition of "consanguinity" and how it could relate to his theory.

Comment

Hmm...wolfh0und is strangely silent on the issue of the actual definition of "consanguinity" and how it could relate to his theory.
                              It's not my theory, you can explore the authors work as easily as I can.

If you don't like their choice of words you can send them a nasty letter.

That said they explain the definition of consanguinity to my satisfaction. Perhaps I just don't live up to your standards.
                              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X