What happened to Armchair General?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Armchair General?

I've been off this forum for over a decade and now that I'm back I see many things have changed. The gaming and model section have virtually no traffic, the military & history forums are holding their own but nothing close to what it used to be. I see that Politics Central has been shut down (yay) and replaced with North America and this is appears to be the most visited section on this site. When I left Armchair General to deal with RL issues I did notice Politics Central was gaining new members at an amazing pace. Now it appears to have a new name and overtaken the site as the top section. This is sadly an unfortunate change.

The gaming and model sections need new blood. There are fewer people partaking.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Turnberry View Post
      I've been off this forum for over a decade and now that I'm back I see many things have changed. The gaming and model section have virtually no traffic, the military & history forums are holding their own but nothing close to what it used to be.
      This is sadly an unfortunate change.

If more members posted in military history or modelling then maybe politics wouldn't dominate?

Comment

I originally joined here because there were a lot of Vietnam veterans and many more interested people posting in the Vietnam forum. I think there are maybe 5 actual veterans occasionally posting there now...…….sometimes it goes a week or more with no posts...…..
        Its just not there either. the whole site has become a ghost town...…….

Comment

Almost every forum has suffered the same fate. There are many reasons for this including changes to the way people game.
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

The big change is in the membership itself. Not many that are interested in serious discussion, very superficial comments, no clear understanding of events being discussed and no real interest in history itself, period. The majority of those on the Politics section are merely here to bash Trump, again with little or no knowledge of the real world or what any of it all means.

Efforts to start new threads and to enlarge discussions meet with hostility and hijacking. Everything is immediately reduced to the lowest common denominator and then dissolves into a flame war.

Not very conducive to a successful history forum.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Some left after the succession of IT problems we had a while ago.
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Ahem....
                I'm still doing my best (despite increasing grandfatherly duties) to keep the WWII history Forum going by generating as many new threads as time permits.

But even divine and sentient lodestar has limitations.

Regards
                lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                  I originally joined here because there were a lot of Vietnam veterans and many more interested people posting in the Vietnam forum. I think there are maybe 5 actual veterans occasionally posting there now...…….sometimes it goes a week or more with no posts...…..
                  Its just not there either. the whole site has become a ghost town...…….
                  Much of such discussion is taking place on Facebook Vietnam Veterans, The Best of the Best of the Baby Boomers.

Many of the games have their own forums or Facebook pages. This is true for Ark Survival Evolved and Atlas, both games that are now on console with some crossplay available between PC and X-Box, Hosting Local, and single player with NPC enemies.

“Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I don't know. There were a few folks who have unfortunately passed. I think the changes made to the platform took a heavy toll. A lot of the fun stuff is gone and there's really no exterior 'fluff' to brag on anymore. MM is correct in noting that much of the content these days is in the current events section and that (if not exclusively but to a great extent) is a lot of partisan argument; and the majority of that is just 'us vs. them'. This place IS a ghost town compared to what it once was.
                    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Most of the other forums I have posted in over the years are ghost towns as well. Most have been destroyed by political correctness and or other leftist dogma. Others such as flightsim squad pages died away as the older members lost interest. The kind of gaming that brought people here requires more prep than play something people no longer want to engage in.

My wife is involved in dog shows and a similar thing has happened with kennel web pages. A few older folks half heartedly maintain their websites but FaceBook seems to be the preferred platform.

Another thing I have notice is that people have switched from email to texting even for "business". People seem to not even turn on their computers on a regular basis. Not many people are going to type out a multi page, well documented post on their phone.

Perhaps the major reason forums like this one have declined is us old folks that have continued to use this format have already endlessly discussed the things we are most interested in.

P.S. I'm doing this on a phone and it does limit how much detail you want to go into.
                      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                        Ahem....
                        I'm still doing my best (despite increasing grandfatherly duties) to keep the WWII history Forum going by generating as many new threads as time permits.

Regards
                        lodestar
                        Really? Limitations? When did that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                          Most of the other forums I have posted in over the years are ghost towns as well. Most have been destroyed by political correctness and or other leftist dogma. Others such as flightsim squad pages died away as the older members lost interest. The kind of gaming that brought people here requires more prep than play something people no longer want to engage in.

My wife is involved in dog shows and a similar thing has happened with kennel web pages. A few older folks half heartedly maintain their websites but FaceBook seems to be the preferred platform.

Another thing I have notice is that people have switched from email to texting even for "business". People seem to not even turn on their computers on a regular basis. Not many people are going to type out a multi page, well documented post on their phone.

Perhaps the major reason forums like this one have declined is us old folks that have continued to use this format have already endlessly discussed the things we are most interested in.

P.S. I'm doing this on a phone and it does limit how much detail you want to go into.
                          I disagree. We're still interested, but in the Age of the Snowflakes we have no one to talk to. Discussing with snowflakes is like trying to talk to Ocasio-Cortez - you just want the pain to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            The gaming and model sections need new blood. There are fewer people partaking.

Pruitt
                            \everything needs new blood, Pruitt....

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                              Ahem....

Regards
                              lodestar
                              How did you and yur Missus dig \Woodstock \second, Lodestar?
                              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X