X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 Most Insane Medical Practice in History

I never knew this! Too funny, if true.

Female Hysteria Cures

Women and their mood swings, right guys? Right? You know what we're saying. Now, if you happen to be female don't be offended, there's no shame in admitting to the occasional bit of moodiness as according to 19th century doctors it's a symptom of a deadly serious medical condition (along with other symptoms such as nervousness, irritability and the dreaded "tendency to cause trouble"). That's right ladies, you may be a victim of female hysteria and not even know it.

So, how exactly do you cure a so-called "condition" that coincidentally was diagnosed almost entirely to women who dared disobey their Victorian husbands? Glad you asked. The prescription for female hysteria was usually a good spot of doctor administered vaginal massage until the woman achieved "hysterical paroxysm."

Yes that's right, the cure for female hysteria was a doctor's hand down your bloomers until you weren't only thinking of England but screaming its name. Is it any wonder the list of symptoms for female hysteria was so long, literally any ailment could fit the diagnosis? In those sexually repressed times visiting the doctor's office must have been like a trip to Disneyland for most women.

Doctors of the day on the other hand were apparently, I don't know, gay or something since they actually objected to women's frequent desire to be "cured" by their magic fingers. Their solution to alleviate hand strain? They invented the vibrator, and thus this article comes to a happy ending.

https://www.cracked.com/article_1566...n-history.html
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

I think that it is impossible to have an honest discussion about either toxic masculinity or toxic femininity. Human instincts and the hormones that influence them are poorly understood which opens the door for misinterpretation and exaggeration.
    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

You would probably find the film Hysteria quite interesting. It's based on the history of very subject.
      https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1435513/
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
        I think that it is impossible to have an honest discussion about either toxic masculinity or toxic femininity. Human instincts and the hormones that influence them are poorly understood which opens the door for misinterpretation and exaggeration.
        Maybe, but we can at least try.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Maybe, but we can at least try.
          Maybe, but I'm passing on the opportunity for now.
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Maybe, but I'm passing on the opportunity for now.
            That's a shame. One's reach should always exceed one's grasp, and history is what it is, after all.

Comment

For women it's call 'hysteria' and for men it's called 'blue balls'

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Joking aside, I am surprised it's a real medical disorder.

Women And Hysteria In The History Of Mental Health

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3480686/

Comment

For women it's call 'hysteria' and for men it's called 'blue balls'
                  Thank you for that profound insight!

Comment

Joking aside, I am surprised it's a real medical disorder.

In the old days in The South, "vapors" was also a real medical disorder. Tight corsets, heat and shortness of breath or excess emotion caused fainting spells. That's why in the movies the first response is always to "loosen her clothing".

I could tell you a few emergency room stories that would get me banned for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

In the old days in The South, "vapors" was also a real medical disorder. Tight corsets, heat and shortness of breath or excess emotion caused fainting spells. That's why in the movies the first response is always to "loosen her clothing".

I could tell you a few emergency room stories that would get me banned for life.
                      Oh, do tell...!
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Real toxic masculinity has a beard and stones women to death and sends them to prison when they have been raped. Not too much #me-to going on about that though.
                        "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                        validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                        "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Women were treated like crap for a long time though if your wife looks like a sea hag then sending her to the doctor to have him "look after her needs" would sound attractive.
                          "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                          validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                          "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post

Women were treated like crap for a long time though if your wife looks like a sea hag then sending her to the doctor to have him "look after her needs" would sound attractive.
                            And where should you be sent to "look after your needs"?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post

Oh, do tell...!
                              I wish that I could...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X