No announcement yet.

Cultural appropriation, blackface, safe zones and “fainting couch” feminists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultural appropriation, blackface, safe zones and “fainting couch” feminists

I’m all for not deliberately offending people. I don’t use the N word, I’ve got a gay uncle and am about as liberal as it gets on social issues (though I’ve a problem with calling killing unborn babies a women’s health issue) but what the hell is going on with all the virtue signalling, outrage culture BS?

I think Justin Trudeau is an ass hole but dressing up as Aladdin for a fancy-dress party is not a “racist act”. If he dressed up as an Arab and pretended to be a suicide bomber it would be racist (and funny). If he dressed up as a black man and pretended to be a stereotypical racist character of some sort it would be racist but what he did? That’s not racist. It is ironic that the right-on Mr “personkind” is being hoisted by his own petard and all that but it’s not racist.

Then there’s this BS that if a white person has dreadlocks it’s cultural appropriation and racist. Does that mean a black person straightening their hair is racist? The whole idea of cultural appropriation is BS. All culture is built on some other culture. Music is the best example; it’s all a form of cultural appropriation. Should we condemn the Romans for all that culture they appropriated from the Greeks?

Then there’s the modern feminists who talk about micro-aggressions or even micro-rapes (some guy telling a woman she has nice legs). Feminism was about women being strong and equal to men, not looking for safe zones and collapsing like corseted Victorian women onto the fainting couch at the mere exposure to any sort of masculine vulgarity. When did women become so weak and why do some feminists seek to teach women to be weak and then make a virtue of it with talk of toxic masculinity and how it’s all the fault of the Patriarchy and all that crap?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

He said it was racist and all the other times he did it and that it wasn’t his fault he tried to blame the fact that he is privileged is why he did it.
    If a conservative had done this there wouldn’t be enough outrage by liberals and the left except now it’s one of theirs so now going blackface is okay.
    Bunch of hypocrites.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post
      He said it was racist and all the other times he did it and that it wasn’t his fault he tried to blame the fact that he is privileged is why he did it.
      If a conservative had done this there wouldn't be enough outrage by liberals and the left except now it's one of theirs so now going blackface is okay.
      Bunch of hypocrites.
      Can't argue with that. Hypocrisy isn't the preserve of the left or the right or even the conservative or the liberal (since conservatives and liberals can be on the left or the right given that left and right describe economic views and not social ones).

Since when did not having your feeling hurt become a human right?
      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

So how about Al Jolson in the theater doing his black face or Michael Jackson pretending to be a white guy........I understand that there is a pill that you can take to help you tone down your natural colour......I guess that soldiers that wear camoflage war paint will get sued/......Bunch of hypocrits

Toulon France....

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post
          So how about Al Jolson in the theater doing his black face or Michael Jackson pretending to be a white guy........I understand that there is a pill that you can take to help you tone down your natural colour......I guess that soldiers that wear camoflage war paint will get sued/......Bunch of hypocrits

Toulon France....
          My daughter uses fake tan. I tell her she's being racist. She goes nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
            I’m all for not deliberately offending people. I don’t use the N word, I’ve got a gay uncle and am about as liberal as it gets on social issues (though I’ve a problem with calling killing unborn babies a women’s health issue) but what the hell is going on with all the virtue signalling, outrage culture BS?

I think Justin Trudeau is an ass hole but dressing up as Aladdin for a fancy-dress party is not a “racist act”. If he dressed up as an Arab and pretended to be a suicide bomber it would be racist (and funny). If he dressed up as a black man and pretended to be a stereotypical racist character of some sort it would be racist but what he did? That’s not racist. It is ironic that the right-on Mr “personkind” is being hoisted by his own petard and all that but it’s not racist.

Then there’s this BS that if a white person has dreadlocks it’s cultural appropriation and racist. Does that mean a black person straightening their hair is racist? The whole idea of cultural appropriation is BS. All culture is built on some other culture. Music is the best example; it’s all a form of cultural appropriation. Should we condemn the Romans for all that culture they appropriated from the Greeks?

Then there’s the modern feminists who talk about micro-aggressions or even micro-rapes (some guy telling a woman she has nice legs). Feminism was about women being strong and equal to men, not looking for safe zones and collapsing like corseted Victorian women onto the fainting couch at the mere exposure to any sort of masculine vulgarity. When did women become so weak and why do some feminists seek to teach women to be weak and then make a virtue of it with talk of toxic masculinity and how it’s all the fault of the Patriarchy and all that crap?
            Not just straightening their hair - any black person who colors their hair ed or blond or wears wigs that mimic caucasian hair is clearly racist...according to the twisted thinking of today.

Humanity has become obsessively eager to find something to blame everyone else for, and "racism" is the current preference.

Ironically, people who cross-dress publicly and identify as "trans-something-or-other" are somehow acceptable but everyone else is guilty somehow of "racism".

"Toxic masculinity" is another hot buzzword these days, as long as everyone avoids pointing out the more than obvious "toxic feminity" behind such a label. We'll be back to the old "feminazi" term before much longer.

It seems to me that these days people cannot be happy unless they have someone to hate, and that is what is toxic in my mind.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Toulon France....
              Blackface was once socially acceptable, as was theatrical makeup tp make white people look like Indians and Chinese in the films of the time. John Wayne was infamously made up to play the role of Ghenghis Khan in The Conqueror.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

//////Great points all around chaps.
                the man was a teacher during the Aladdin skit- and in High school for the blackface skit- twenty And twenty five years - ago.
                GROW A PAIR _ CANADA!
                Despite my obvious qualifications,- its why I can never be Prime Minister.
                too many sheep farmers to pay off..
                The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Toulon France....
                  \\\\\\\\\Don't forget Eddie Murphy....

and whatever else you may have heard about me, I rustled them ewes, not hustled them ewes...

Comment

Should Trudeau dressing up as Aladdin at a high school revue be considered a racist act? - Not really, although it is confusing to me that Trudeau seemed to think Aladdin was African. However, Trudeau has only himself to blame for the flack he is getting because he consistently portrays himself as an enlightened, fully woke poster boy of every social justice mantra. Well, surprise, surprise, he has consistently shown himself to be nothing more than a hypocritical narcissistic talking point. Whether it is appearing in India as a Bollywood extra, preening himself to look like a French musketeer, or now several instances of being dressed-up in black-face, Trudeau is simply an actor - and not a very good one. And it would be perfectly fine if he were simply just a narcissistic actor playing at being a political leader. Would not be the first. The real problem is the reams of self-serving sanctimonious bunkum which stand in constant attendance with his romper-room political show and tells. If any other Canadian politician were to find himself or herself suddenly confronted with an 18-year old photo of them in blackface, Trudeau would be the first to push himself to the nearest podium to deliver some moralising diatribe about cultural and racial insensitivity. Instead, true to form, when faced with his own shortcomings on the social justice warrior front, Trudeau reverts to half-apologies and weasel words. 'Didn't know wearing black-face was racist at the time'. Yes, 18 years ago everybody did this. It was the in thing. We didn't know it was bad then. It was a different time. Apparently, somewhere around 2008 people suddenly discovered it was racist. And now, today, he has a new excuse: wearing black-face was a product of his White privilege. See the subtle shift in responsibility? No longer his own fault that he dressed up in black-face. It is the fault of all White Canadians, our shared cultural insensitivity that made him do it. We must all share collective guilt when our actor-in-chief acts like a jackass.

Comment

good point, Skob:.
                      My hmmm point on the topic was listening to Andrew Scheer pontificate on the issue, a twenty first century Judge cotton Mather'...

the last conservative leader lost the Federal election by droning on about the 'Niquab menace'- so we got Trudeau Junior by default.

Comment

And what's worse is to do cultural appropriation and not "get it right"

IKEA Issues Apology And Pulls ‘Jerk Chicken’ From Menu After Backlash
                        https://www.dailywire.com/news/52008...aign=position1

Guess some folks never heard of fusion cuisine
                        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                          Should Trudeau dressing up as Aladdin at a high school revue be considered a racist act? - Not really, although it is confusing to me that Trudeau seemed to think Aladdin was African. However, Trudeau has only himself to blame for the flack he is getting because he consistently portrays himself as an enlightened, fully woke poster boy of every social justice mantra. Well, surprise, surprise, he has consistently shown himself to be nothing more than a hypocritical narcissistic talking point. Whether it is appearing in India as a Bollywood extra, preening himself to look like a French musketeer, or now several instances of being dressed-up in black-face, Trudeau is simply an actor - and not a very good one. And it would be perfectly fine if he were simply just a narcissistic actor playing at being a political leader. Would not be the first. The real problem is the reams of self-serving sanctimonious bunkum which stand in constant attendance with his romper-room political show and tells. If any other Canadian politician were to find himself or herself suddenly confronted with an 18-year old photo of them in blackface, Trudeau would be the first to push himself to the nearest podium to deliver some moralising diatribe about cultural and racial insensitivity. Instead, true to form, when faced with his own shortcomings on the social justice warrior front, Trudeau reverts to half-apologies and weasel words. 'Didn't know wearing black-face was racist at the time'. Yes, 18 years ago everybody did this. It was the in thing. We didn't know it was bad then. It was a different time. Apparently, somewhere around 2008 people suddenly discovered it was racist. And now, today, he has a new excuse: wearing black-face was a product of his White privilege. See the subtle shift in responsibility? No longer his own fault that he dressed up in black-face. It is the fault of all White Canadians, our shared cultural insensitivity that made him do it. We must all share collective guilt when our actor-in-chief acts like a jackass.
                          If I'm reading you right -- and I think that I am -- it's not so much an issue of Justin Trudeau being "liberal" or "left," but that he's a glorified mannequin, a stuffed shirt, a caricature of what a modern liberal should be -- but deep down, he has neither the intellectual horsepower, the character, nor the basic human interest to truly be a liberal person in this modern world. It's as if his entire public life has been an act, read from a script of tried-and-true "liberal" clichés, but without any deeper understanding than "people like the way this sounds." It's a sad state of affairs, but unfortunately, that's the kind of character that excels in today's political environment. Maybe that's a more damning statement about us as voters and citizens than it is about Trudeau as a politician. We expect so little from our leaders because we demand so little from ourselves.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

If I'm reading you right -- and I think that I am -- it's not so much an issue of Justin Trudeau being "liberal" or "left," but that he's a glorified mannequin, a stuffed shirt, a caricature of what a modern liberal should be -- but deep down, he has neither the intellectual horsepower, the character, nor the basic human interest to truly be a liberal person in this modern world. It's as if his entire public life has been an act, read from a script of tried-and-true "liberal" clichés, but without any deeper understanding than "people like the way this sounds." It's a sad state of affairs, but unfortunately, that's the kind of character that excels in today's political environment. Maybe that's a more damning statement about us as voters and citizens than it is about Trudeau as a politician. We expect so little from our leaders because we demand so little from ourselves.
                            1Sometimes I miss his father, Ol' Pierre:

"Mister Prime Minister, do you have time for a couple of questions?"
                            "Hmmm....yes. Who are you, and why are you" bothering me?""

Pierre would have said it was decades ago, and it's not relevant.

Comment

Most people are cool. The issue is some in Gov and media worldwide try and hype things up to make money and get popular IMO.

Issue in the USA is jobs. Most poor blacks and poor whites have no care for this racial talk, they want a better job as they would have gotten in the past.
                              Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                              Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X