Sucker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucker!

It's a cold wet night, you don't want to go out again but your dog goes and sits by it's lead and rolls it's sad eyes up at you - you're suckered - out into the night taking it for walkies. How many dogs have wheedled their way up onto sofas that way? How often have you been eating some potato crisps and those eyes say 'can't I just have one?' - suckered again.

Now there is evidence that dogs evolved special eye muscles just for that very purpose.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48665618

Interestingly it has been known for some time that cats' 'natural' range of vocalisations are growls and urrs etc - many too low a frequency to be heard by humans and their higher frequency meows etc were originally evolved to give orders to the staff. My cat is also quite good at using her eyes to indicate that she wants that door catch opening or this food bowl's empty.

Not Homo Sapiens - just Homo Suckers

PS have other animals done anything similar?

According to 1950/60s TV Kangaroos and Wallabies had special adapted twitchy noses to tell about people falling down wells and mine shafts - something that if those same TV shows are to be believed Australians were in the habit of doing?(probably something to do with the beer)
    Last edited by MarkV; 18 Jun 19, 04:57.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

I thought that mad dogs and Englishmen only went out in the midday sun? It appears they also go out on cold, rainy nights...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      It's a cold wet night, you don't want to go out again but your dog goes and sits by it's lead and rolls it's sad eyes up at you - you're suckered - out into the night taking it for walkies. How many dogs have wheedled their way up onto sofas that way? How often have you been eating some potato crisps and those eyes say 'can't I just have one?' - suckered again.

Now there is evidence that dogs evolved special eye muscles just for that very purpose.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48665618

Interestingly it has been known for some time that cats' 'natural' range of vocalisations are growls and urrs etc - many too low a frequency to be heard by humans and their higher frequency meows etc were originally evolved to give orders to the staff. My cat is also quite good at using her eyes to indicate that she wants that door catch opening or this food bowl's empty.

Not Homo Sapiens - just Homo Suckers

PS have other animals done anything similar?

According to 1950/60s TV Kangaroos and Wallabies had special adapted twitchy noses to tell about people falling down wells and mine shafts - something that if those same TV shows are to be believed Australians were in the habit of doing?(probably something to do with the beer)

Oh thou of Little Faith.

You are obviously unaware of Skippy's superior means of sublime communication whereby he could impart impending news of disaster. I suppose that it was an ability which you -buried in the Worcestershire countryside- cannot be expected to comprehend
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

A Kangaroo wot could fly an aeroplane, that's not real, is it?

The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
          A Kangaroo wot could fly an aeroplane, that's not real, is it?

Well now. Once again.....
          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X