I Spent The Weekend In Hell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Spent The Weekend In Hell

Now I know what hell is like. It's extremely hot and sunny. Not a cloud in the sky. Did I mention that it's extremely hot? It goes by the name "Phoenix, Arizona". I had to go there to help move my wife's uncle into an assisted living center. I don't care if it's a "dry" heat...it's still "HEAT".

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
    Now I know what hell is like. It's extremely hot and sunny. Not a cloud in the sky. Did I mention that it's extremely hot? It goes by the name "Phoenix, Arizona". I had to go there to help move my wife's uncle into an assisted living center. I don't care if it's a "dry" heat...it's still "HEAT".
    Believe me when you've been in the upper Arabian Gulf at 50 degrees plus and 99% humidity you'll know the difference between wet and dry heat. If Dante is to be believed Hell has circles. Actually according to Dante the lowest point in Hell is so COLD that your eyeballs freeze
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      Believe me when you've been in the upper Arabian Gulf at 50 degrees plus and 99% humidity you'll know the difference between wet and dry heat.
      Amen. Brazil was the same. Take the dry heat and be thankful.
      ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
      2) Enjoy playing it
      3) Enjoy sharing it
      4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Dry heat is much more tolerable. Saudi heat can kill: PI heat can make you pray for death.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          Dry heat is much more tolerable. Saudi heat can kill: PI heat can make you pray for death.
          The human body has a quite remarkable evaporation cooling system - its why,unlike many animals, we have sweat glands all over our bodies but as humidity increases it becomes ineffective and we keel over from heat exhaustion. Back in the 18th century Britain tried to establish a permanent consulate in Muscat (Oman) but had to give up as when summer came the consuls kept dying.

BTW Saudi heat inland is very dry which is why Riyadh is inland. On the coast it's very humid
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

^ Umm Qasr: now that place, even during the last week of February-early March, is mind-bendingly humid. The air there is heavy, actually exerts force against one's chest, rather like New Orleans: damned river delta. I hear that it stays like that year-round, too.

I was once informed that during the 19th century, the British Foreign Office characterized their consulate in New York as a tropical posting. Any truth to that one?

Comment

^ Umm Qasr: now that place, even during the last week of February-early March, is mind-bendingly humid. The air there is heavy, actually exerts force against one's chest, rather like New Orleans: damned river delta. I hear that it stays like that year-round, too.

I was once informed that during the 19th century, the British Foreign Office characterized their consulate in New York as a tropical posting. Any truth to that one?
              There used to be a saying "When God made Hell it wasn't bad enough so He added flies and called it Mesopotamia"

The FO used to have a tropical clothing allowance and to qualify one had to be in a posting where the temperature exceeded a certain temperature for a certain number of days in a year. It's possible that New York in Summer qualified - didn't those who could afford it once used to send their families to places like Martha's Vineyard in the Summer months?

Comment

There used to be a saying "When God made Hell it wasn't bad enough so He added flies and called it Mesopotamia"
                Very believable . . . .

The FO used to have a tropical clothing allowance and to qualify one had to be in a posting where the temperature exceeded a certain temperature for a certain number of days in a year.
                New York, like most big cities, was its own brand of hell before the advent of refrigeration, air conditioning, and the automobile.

It's possible that New York in Summer qualified - didn't those who could afford it once used to send their families to places like Martha's Vineyard in the Summer months?
                If you were rich then you spent the summer either near Sandy Hook NJ (several of McKim Meade & White's summer houses still exist out there) or out on the Gold Coast, North Shore of Long island (as related by F Scott Fitzgerald.) Nowadays the gentry traipse on out the the Hamptons every weekend. Suffice to say, they've ruined Long Island's South Fork. The proles, if Jewish, went to the Catskills until the 1980s. If they're Irish, then they move lock stock and barrel to Breezy Point on the western end of Rockaway Peninsula, aka the Irish Riviera. Nearly the whole of Breezy Point burned to the ground due to Hurricane Sandy in 2012: salt water shorted out the antiquated electrics.

Comment

Very believable . . . .

New York, like most big cities, was its own brand of hell before the advent of refrigeration, air conditioning, and the automobile.

If you were rich then you spent the summer either near Sandy Hook NJ (several of McKim Meade & White's summer houses still exist out there) or out on the Gold Coast, North Shore of Long island (as related by F Scott Fitzgerald.) Nowadays the gentry traipse on out the the Hamptons every weekend. Suffice to say, they've ruined Long Island's South Fork. The proles, if Jewish, went to the Catskills until the 1980s. If they're Irish, then they move lock stock and barrel to Breezy Point on the western end of Rockaway Peninsula, aka the Irish Riviera. Nearly the whole of Breezy Point burned to the ground due to Hurricane Sandy in 2012: salt water shorted out the antiquated electrics.
                  Gosh - I had an Aunt who lived on the North Shore Long Island!

Comment

Gosh - I had an Aunt who lived on the North Shore Long Island!
                    Was her name Daisy?

Comment

Believe me when you've been in the upper Arabian Gulf at 50 degrees plus and 99% humidity you'll know the difference between wet and dry heat. If Dante is to be believed Hell has circles. Actually according to Dante the lowest point in Hell is so COLD that your eyeballs freeze
                      Dry heat one can sustain.

Last 15 days temperature in Nagpur was 46 °.
                      highest 49° + something .

Now pre monsoon humidity and little drops of rain makes life miserable .

I suffer from Hyper Thyrodism, so i find heat unbearable.

And yes it's certainly feels like hell ...

Comment

Originally posted by vikram72 View Post

Dry heat one can sustain.

Last 15 days temperature in Nagpur was 46 °.
                        highest 49° + something .

Now pre monsoon humidity and little drops of rain makes life miserable .

I suffer from Hyper Thyrodism, so i find heat unbearable.

And yes it's certainly feels like hell ...
                        Hence the hill stations like Simla and Dehradun

Comment

Even the most extreme hot days in Australia are tolerable if a breeze is blowing, the sweat really helps keep you cool. I have heard that up in places like Darwin even the aircon can be useless sometimes, a large fan is your best bet from avoiding the "mango madness".
                          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                          Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Hence the hill stations like Simla and Dehradun
                            Yes truely.

Musoori and Dehradoon just wonderful combination.

Simla visited just once.

Comment

Originally posted by vikram72 View Post

Yes truely.

Musoori and Dehradoon just wonderful combination.

Simla visited just once.
                              Arrived in Dehradoon from New Delhi after a long and terrifying ride in a packed taxi driven by a suicidal Sikh, at 3 am in the morning. It was like going back in time to a deserted Edwardian resort

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X