Another needless death at the Grand Canyon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another needless death at the Grand Canyon

Is it time to close this place to all but a privileged few?

https://gcmaz.com/woman-killed-after...-grand-canyon/

In spite of the designated trails, fences, and numerous warning signs, stupid people keep ignoring the signs, climb over the fences, and fall into the canyon to their death.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Close the park because of stupid people? No, but they want to do it at Glen Onoko.

https://wnep.com/2019/04/16/thousand...trail-closure/
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post

In spite of the designated trails, fences, and numerous warning signs, stupid people keep ignoring the signs, climb over the fences, and fall into the canyon to their death.
      Darwinism is a fact of life, unfortunately. Putting up too many barriers would imply ruin the natural beauty and some would still find a way to get killed despite them.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Sounds like practical evolution.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Sounds like practical evolution.
          It is.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post

Nope
            This is how we weed out the folks that are not suitable for furthering the species successfully. In fact I would like to see less bubble-wrapping of things so we could stop enabling stupid people to succeed.

BoRG
            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

I remember my family vacation that stopped at the Grand Canyon. I had almost convinced my future ex-wife to go White Water Rafting down the Colorado. Then I ruined my chance by stopping at a Movie Theater that showed all the places you could go. She stomped her foot and said we would not be doing any rafting and the Helicopter Ride was also out. We ended up at the Canyon and had weave our way through Navajos selling trinkets on blankets. We had a grand view to the bottom at the fence. While gazing at the wonders my attention was attracted to a mother lugging a VHS camera and trailing four or five kids. She filmed away at the fence and was not paying attention to one of the boys who calmly hopped the fence and was at least five feet down the rock when she quit filming and saw her son on the wrong side of the fence. She slapped the freckles off him and hauled him and the rest back to the car. It was an enjoyable trip over all. My 12 year old and her 8 year old cousin would not leave the slot machines at Circus/Circus alone and we enjoyed several days in Anaheim.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post

Nope
                This is how we weed out the folks that are not suitable for furthering the species successfully. In fact I would like to see less bubble-wrapping of things so we could stop enabling stupid people to succeed.
                The evolution argument doesn't really work in modern times. Back in the ancient days when food was not easy to come by and man killing predators abounded then most of the stupid wouldn't survive long enough to mate with someone thick enough to pick them as a partner. Today idiots can survive long enough to pass their genes on after which killing them selves has little effect on human evolution. Indeed it can be argued that the stupid are more likely to have unplanned children then the intelligent.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

^ Thank you Mike Judge.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Not just the Grand Canyon. Falling into an active volcano must be a new level in stupidity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-...eporting-story
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

And not only in America

Sadly stupidity is universal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-48168714

Comment

Despite the straitjacket the 'elf and safety monster has us all bound in, quarter wits can still outmanoeuvre him, and off themselves merrily.
                        Warms the cockles of yer heart...
                        dunnit!!!???

The long toll of the brave
                        Is not lost in darkness
                        Over the fruitful earth
                        And athwart the seas
                        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                          Despite the straitjacket the 'elf and safety monster has us all bound in, quarter wits can still outmanoeuvre him, and off themselves merrily.
                          Warms the cockles of yer heart...
                          dunnit!!!???

Warms the cockles of many a lawyer's bank balance

A lot of H&S is not so much about ensuring people's safety as a CYA exercise to protect the organisation from being sued by the quarter wit or their heirs.

A biker in the US who had bought some Dunlop tyres rode over a plank on the road that had some nails protruding. The tyre burst and he ended up with a leg held together with a stainless steel mecano set. He sued Dunlop because the safety leaflet didn't warn that riding over a nail studded plank could cause a tyre to burst. Dunlop only escaped huge damages because the ambulance/hearse chasing Lincoln lawyer wasn't very good and made some technical error in the process on the grounds of which Dunlop could appeal - a jury had been quite happy to award the damages. Considerable expense was then taken in reprinting leaflets all over the world to include a warning not to ride over sharp objects - I wonder how many lives that saved

Comment

"Just when someone invents something foolproof along comes a more talented fool..." - anonymous
                            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Must admit in the last year of my glittering work career, I used 'elf and safety, to shamelessly avoid doing wot they payed me for.

The long toll of the brave
                              Is not lost in darkness
                              Over the fruitful earth
                              And athwart the seas
                              Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X