Clear All

• 23rd of April...

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

(ANSA) - Genoa, July 5 - The mayor of Genoa has asked Queen Elizabeth to pay the northwestern Italian port city back for allegedly allowing the British crown to use the Cross of St George free of charge for the last 250 years.
    In the Middle Ages London obtained the use of the flag, which had been used in the crusades and by the maritime republic of Genoa as a warning sign to hostile ships, for its fleet in exchange for an annual tribute which over the years turned into a gratuity.
    Mayor Marco Bucci has now written in jest to the queen in what he called "the greatest marketing campaign Genoa could stage".
    In his letter, Bucci said "Your Majesty, I regret to inform you that from my books it looks like you didn't pay for the last 247 years".
    http://www.ansa.it/english/news/gene...26811a64b.html

51fba582a57dcaaa745d09392a5c9eda.jpg

0 Links

Comment

In 1797 the Republic of Genoa ceased to exist and became the Ligurian Republic a French puppet state with which Britain was at war. This was annexed by France in 1805. Any British obligations would have ceased. I fear that Her Majesty is too polite to write a suitable reply but perhaps she could delegate this task to Prince Phillip. I'm sure he probably has some naval phrases that could be employed.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Apparently tribute ceased in 1746 Though England would have been flying the Union flag since 1606.

Anyway it was just a bit of fun from the Mayor of Genoa and an historical reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
          Apparently tribute ceased in 1746 .
          Presumably because Britain was also at war with her then (War of he Austrian Succession), in 1746 Genoa was occupied by the Austrians and then suffered an uprising so there probably wasn't a functional government to pay the money to anyway.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

These days you can't rely on anything happening when it's supposed to
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48025520

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X