Biker Chicks tour Chernobyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biker Chicks tour Chernobyl

This is one of the most interesting set of photos I have seen in a long time. It was taken by a girl on a motorcyle around the area of Chernobyl - now almost completely devoid of human life. Thanks to MonsterZero at WHQ for finding this.

Biking through Chernobyl

EDIT: Looks like the site is now dead. Sad, as it was really a nice survey of the region - now a ghost town.
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Chernobyl biker

yeah, I think I heard that the area of contamination will be uninhabitable for 80 years or so. Dozens of firefighters died from radiation sickness because they were not provided with protetcive gear (if it existed). This reminds me of another incident in Soviet Central Asia in 1972, I believe. In that incident, there was an accident at an bio-weapons facility, no casualty report ever released, but estimates were in the hundreds, if not thousands. Reportedly, the area was uninhabitable for several years.
    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: Chernobyl biker

Originally posted by hogdriver
      yeah, I think I heard that the area of contamination will be uninhabitable for 80 years or so. Dozens of firefighters died from radiation sickness because they were not provided with protetcive gear (if it existed). This reminds me of another incident in Soviet Central Asia in 1972, I believe. In that incident, there was an accident at an bio-weapons facility, no casualty report ever released, but estimates were in the hundreds, if not thousands. Reportedly, the area was uninhabitable for several years.
      I've seen footage of guys out there sifting thru rubble and debris in filter masks....one guy kicks over a dinnerplate sized piece of debris to uncover a glowing chunk of radioactive what-ever!!!! I'm sure those cats are all dead by now....
      Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

Damn, I need to be quicker - the link doesn't work for me.

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
          Damn, I need to be quicker - the link doesn't work for me.

Dr. S.
          it was dead for me too

Comment

Is it just me or does the title of this thread sound like an old Troma film? :P
            Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Re: Re: Chernobyl biker

Originally posted by Fenrir
              I've seen footage of guys out there sifting thru rubble and debris in filter masks....one guy kicks over a dinnerplate sized piece of debris to uncover a glowing chunk of radioactive what-ever!!!! I'm sure those cats are all dead by now....
              I donít know what was glowing but it was probably not radioactive since most radioactive substances donít glow (contrary to Hollywood imagery).
              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Chernobyl biker

Originally posted by tsar
                I donít know what was glowing but it was probably not radioactive since most radioactive substances donít glow (contrary to Hollywood imagery).
                REALLY? Then what have I just been sold by those Armenians?

Dammit - I've been ripped off!

Dr. S.
                Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Long Island

What would life be like in the US today if the 3 Mile Island incident had been as bad as Chernobyl? opinions?

Mark
                  Deo Vindice
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Ha ha,Doc. You got sold the briefcase from "Pulp Fiction" :terms:
                    Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

The site is expected to be back up in April... It was spooky to say the least. I don't think the magnitude of the accident was really felt in CONUS.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Chernobyl biker

Originally posted by tsar
                        it wasn't glowing all bright like some cartoon---it looked more like a red piece of metal ...like it was hot ....like a black smith was going to beat it into horseshoes. the documentary represented it as radioactive material....maybe it was just hot metal covered with radioactive debris....

Comment

Probably was, Radium is the only radioactive metal that glows that I know of. Uranium does not glow at all.
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Just an update, the site is up and all the pictures are there, though sometimes I had to refresh to get it to show the rest of the pictures. Too bad the copters in the motorpool are radiated, I would like to take one.
                            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

It's down for me...
                              "If my theory of realitivity is proved true, then France will declare me a citizen of the world and Germany will call me a German. However, if it is proved untrue, then France will call me a German, and Germany a jew."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X