HMS Terror Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMS Terror Found

HMS Terror, the second vessel in the doomed Franklin Expedition, has been located in pristine condition.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Pristine I doubt, looking at the photos I think the Canadians have come up with a new definition of pristine.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      Pristine I doubt, looking at the photos I think the Canadians have come up with a new definition of pristine.
      Compared to other shipwrecks of the same period, the vessels were very well preserved by the cold waters. I agree that "pristine" might be stretching it a little.

Comment

Pristine, eh? What's the Kelly Blue Book value?

Rimshot
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Here's more, how does "quite incredible shape" sound? Peter Mansbridge of the CBC (on the left) was Canada's foremost news anchor, he retired last year, but remains involved. When you consider that the Arctic Research Foundation expected to find a ship that had been crushed by ice, "pristine" is not a huge exaggeration.

"I am Groot"
          - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
            . . . . When you consider that the Arctic Research Foundation expected to find a ship that had been crushed by ice, "pristine" is not a huge exaggeration. . . . .
            So we can safely conclude that it was not manufactured by CCM.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              Pristine, eh? What's the Kelly Blue Book value?

Rimshot
              Priceless...

Comment

So we can safely conclude that it was not manufactured by CCM.

Huh, I don't get it? Back when I was a young snot, we went to Canadian Tire to buy Supercycle bikes in the spring, and CCM skates in the fall, Tacks if we were lucky enough (I never was); dunno what CCM is like now, I preferred Sherwood sticks anyway.
                "I am Groot"
                - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post

Huh, I don't get it? Back when I was a young snot, we went to Canadian Tire to buy Supercycle bikes in the spring, and CCM skates in the fall, Tacks if we were lucky enough; dunno what CCM is like now.
                  Gloves and skates are good enough, but their sticks are sh*t. The explode on contact.

Tomorrow I'll post pics in the hockey thread of Jr beating some Army a$$ up in West Point if you're interested.

Comment

Gloves and skates are good enough, but their sticks are sh*t. The explode on contact.

Tomorrow I'll post pics in the hockey thread of Jr beating some Army a$$ up in West Point if you're interested.
                    Sure, but doesn't the Corps of Cadets take a dim view of kids from NYC going up-state to lay a beating on some of their own?
                    "I am Groot"
                    - Groot

Comment

Hijacked thread by the usual people unable to stay focused for more than one minute at a time. Start your own thread if you can't handle the real ones.

Comment

Wrecks can survive a long time given the right conditions. The oldest known 'intact' wreck is nearly two and a half thousand years old and over a mile down in the Black Sea. It is cold down there , the water contains no dissolved oxygen at all and there is no light or other source of energy. It is impossible for even extremophile life forms to exist there. Metals cannot oxidise (rust) so there is nothing to attack the wreck which may, if not disturbed, last as long again. Such conditions do not exist in many places (there is even some life in the deepest oceanic abysses). Looking at the photos of HMS Terror it looks as if she is in not such favourable conditions for preservation - close but not complete.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45951132
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

The Brits had way too many ships, the names they came up with....

That expedition should be much more widely known, it is a testament to the courage and the price paid by the great explorers, and this was close to the end of the age of terrestrial exploration.
                          They were relying on some new high-tech stuff to get them through, and were betrayed by it. Canned food that could last years and years, and salt-water desalinization plants.... in 1840!

The problem was just one item; lead.
                          The tins were sealed with it, and the pipes were made of it.
                          IMHO, they never had a chance.
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

That expedition should be much more widely known, it is a testament to the courage and the price paid by the great explorers, and this was close to the end of the age of terrestrial exploration.
                            They were relying on some new high-tech stuff to get them through, and were betrayed by it. Canned food that could last years and years, and salt-water desalinization plants.... in 1840!

The problem was just one item; lead.
                            The tins were sealed with it, and the pipes were made of it.
                            IMHO, they never had a chance.
                            They should have done a better job of studying the Romans, who suffered widely from lead poisoning.

They also had steam power at their command.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

e.
                              The two ships were named after two large active volcanoes on Ross Island in the Antarctic. It was a jokey reference to the smoke that the not very efficient steam engines belched. They were bringing two South Polar smoke emitters to North Polar regions. I'm afraid that's typical of British Naval humour in the first part of the 19th century. It was even worse earlier - Nelson liked bad puns!
                              Last edited by MarkV; 05 Nov 18, 09:23.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X