• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Re: Bull & another historical side note

Originally posted by Admiral
    Gerald Bull took two 16/50 battleship rifles - muzzle to breach - and could lob things into space. Maybe I can find some of the footage of it firing rounds. I know some exists due to seeing it on Biography before Desert Storm.

John Ericsson researched & produced a well designed gun - in addition to the ship - Robert Stockton was building by the name of Princeton. The ship & its original main weapon were made for each other by the same man. It was relageted to the after deck when Stocktons brashness & bullheaded thoughts that "bigger is better" replaced it on the fore deck with Peacemaker before its commissioning. The gun was huge for its day. It was wrought & banded . Stockton liked sailing Princeton up & down the Potomac blasting Peacemaker to delight all aboard or ashore.

One day there were several dignitaries aboard from a President to some old lady no-one seemed to remember. Her name was Dolly Madison. The president had a headache & was below decks when a cabinet secretary was given the honor of tipping off a round . A huge section of the breech block was sent on its deadly way across decks when the gun burst due to very poor design. It cut people off where they stood.

Google: John Ericsson, Orator, Oregon Gun, Monitor, Propeller, Stockton, Peacemaker, Princeton, California,

Ericssons Orator still survives and is on Naval Academy grounds. It is called more often by the early nickname Oregon gun. It was a very fine weapon that was relegated to ignomy by the results - against his advice - of Robert Stocktons folly in the building & freedom to design his own sort of vessel. It was actually Ericssons design & project management constantly trying to keep his benefactor from foolish engineering notions of self styled grandeur.

That was one intelligent Swede that America did not deserve by the way that she treated him, yet no amount could ever repay what he gave in his own pigheaded way.
    I have to admit when I originally posed this question I was thinking about small arms, but you do mention several geniuses.

Bull is certainly the most influential maker of artillery in the last Century. Krupp the most influential of the 19th Century.

John Ericsson is arguably one of the most influential shipbuilders of all time. His contributions of the screw propeller and gun turret are still in use today. His loyalty to the US when he was basically made a scapegoat shows just what kind of character he posessed.

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Re: Gun Designer

Originally posted by Bow
    P.S...... Nobody seeme to mention Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov desinger of the infantrymans Timex " Takes alicken and keeps on ticken"
    Kalashnikov is definately one the all time great gun designers, but his fame rests on one basic design. I only pick Browning over him for the number of his designs and their diversity.

Leave a comment:

• dglad
    replied
    Alfred Krupp and the sliding wedge breech....

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    Bull & another historical side note

Gerald Bull took two 16/50 battleship rifles - muzzle to breach - and could lob things into space. Maybe I can find some of the footage of it firing rounds. I know some exists due to seeing it on Biography before Desert Storm.

John Ericsson researched & produced a well designed gun - in addition to the ship - Robert Stockton was building by the name of Princeton. The ship & its original main weapon were made for each other by the same man. It was relageted to the after deck when Stocktons brashness & bullheaded thoughts that "bigger is better" replaced it on the fore deck with Peacemaker before its commissioning. The gun was huge for its day. It was wrought & banded . Stockton liked sailing Princeton up & down the Potomac blasting Peacemaker to delight all aboard or ashore.

One day there were several dignitaries aboard from a President to some old lady no-one seemed to remember. Her name was Dolly Madison. The president had a headache & was below decks when a cabinet secretary was given the honor of tipping off a round . A huge section of the breech block was sent on its deadly way across decks when the gun burst due to very poor design. It cut people off where they stood.

Google: John Ericsson, Orator, Oregon Gun, Monitor, Propeller, Stockton, Peacemaker, Princeton, California,

Ericssons Orator still survives and is on Naval Academy grounds. It is called more often by the early nickname Oregon gun. It was a very fine weapon that was relegated to ignomy by the results - against his advice - of Robert Stocktons folly in the building & freedom to design his own sort of vessel. It was actually Ericssons design & project management constantly trying to keep his benefactor from foolish engineering notions of self styled grandeur.

That was one intelligent Swede that America did not deserve by the way that she treated him, yet no amount could ever repay what he gave in his own pigheaded way.

Leave a comment:

• Bow
    replied
    Gun Designer

P.S...... Nobody seeme to mention Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov desinger of the infantrymans Timex " Takes alicken and keeps on ticken"

Leave a comment:

• Bow
    replied
    best gun designer

The heading of the forum read "gun designer".. Hell ! the ideas were there but the technoligy wasnt.. Metalergy and other components didnt catch up for a few hundred years after that.
    (excuss bad spelling one day i will buy Spell Check)

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Re: Best gun designer

Originally posted by Bow
    How about the Grand Daddy of them all Leonardo da Vinci
    da Vinci was great at conceptualizing, but he actually didn't make all that many of his ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Bow
    replied
    Best gun designer

How about the Grand Daddy of them all Leonardo da Vinci

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by last_cav1971
    Colt...........when he teamed up with Walker to make the Walker Colt (only 1000)..........the gun really changed American history.
    Winchester.................
    I have a .45 Paraordnance..........its a decent handgun.
    Universally.........Kalashnikov......with the AK.

Mark
    Deo Vindice
    I'd agree Colt was a very influential designer. The Walker Colt being the first "magnum" pistol. It was produced in far greater numbers than just 1000 units. I think you may be mistaking it for the original Paterson Colt .36 caliber that Col. Walker was its most famous user. That is the gun that inspired Walker to ask Colt to make a .44 caliber version of his repeater.

However, Browning made a far more diverse collection of weapons all of which were excellent (including designing the M1911 that Colt and later Para-Ordinance produced).

Colt's attempts at long arms were far less sucessfull than his pistols, partly because he tried to use the same basic technology he'd used for his pistols. Browning used many different pinciples in his designs.

Kalashnikov contribution is very obvious, but once again it was a single basic design.

Leave a comment:

• HOOP102
    replied
    How about the man that started the machine gun craze, Sir Hiram Maxim. The American born British inventor.

Leave a comment:

• Janos
    replied
    Originally posted by Tigersqn
    Gerald Bull. He made 'em big.
    Absolutely. Gerald Bull is the man.

The GHN-45 is a superior cannon system, with increase range and lethality to anything any NATO country uses and the super-cannon he built for Saddam (and the others he built for the Canadian and US governments) nail him down.

Gerald Bull. No doubt about it.

Leave a comment:

• last_cav1971
    replied
    Colt...........when he teamed up with Walker to make the Walker Colt (only 1000)..........the gun really changed American history.
    Winchester.................
    I have a .45 Paraordnance..........its a decent handgun.
    Universally.........Kalashnikov......with the AK.

Mark
    Deo Vindice

Leave a comment:

• eagle101
    replied
    Garrand and Mauser

I would have to say john candis Garand was the best gun designer in History, or at least in 20th century history.

I would also say Peter and Paul Mauser

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by hogdriver
    IMHO, designing the M-16 is not cause for accolades. M-1, yes. M-14, yes. I have NEVER met an infantryman with a good thing to say about the M-16. I expect that many will rejoice when the M-16 fades into oblivion.
    I would have to agree that Garand's contribution was more revolutionary than Stoner, but both would fall a level below Browning.

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by Coldfiregod
    Not only the different powder but also the recievers were not plated like they should have been. The ammo needed to be exceptionaly clean or the M-16 would jam. At least thats what I heard from some of the vets I know.

Personaly I think that the .223 cartridge is a little underpowered but then again I have never been one to "spray and pray".

As for greatest designer Browning I would say. Even though Furgeson (sp?) was quite revolutionary with his breach loading rifle. And that was about the time of the Revolutionary War.
    Patrick Ferguson's breech loading flintlock rifle is arguably the most revolutionary weapon that was NOT adopted in large numbers. If the British had produced it in larger numbers there might not be a United States today.
    It had accuracy that rivaled the Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifle, rate of fire near to a Brown Bess, plus it had the advantage over either that it could be loaded from a prone position.
    If 10,000 instead of 100 had been made the British would have been near unbeatable with the level of training/drill their regulars possessed.
    The outcome of the Revolutionary War could also easily have changed if Ferguson had fewer scruples. He had a clear shot at General Washington from about 200 yards (a range at which he was quite proficient) at the Battle of Brandywine, but declined to take it as he considered it an "ungentlemanly act" to act as a sniper. IF he had done this the fame his weapon would have garnered would surely have led to more being produced. As it was his company of riflemen where disbanded and his technological leap forward faded into history.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X