Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else experienced something like this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else experienced something like this?

For me 2018 has been playing like a montage with Times They Are a Changin' in the background. It feels like me and almost everyone I know just picked 2018 for having a seismic shift in their lives. My pastor and his wife both retired, one of my friends became a father, several moved, one had surgery, and I have had a shift in both thought and lifestyle. It all just seemed to trigger during this year. Almost like an invisible cycle turned over.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Try living in Scotland.

The SNP walked out of Parliament - their detractors called it a publicity stunt - after Scotland was ignored in the EU debate, on withholding powers from the EU from the Scottish parliament (no Scot was permitted to speak, during a debate which attacked the fundamental principles of democracy) - one English MP even going so far as to ask why Scotland should be treated any differently from an English region of similar size.

The difference is that Scotland is a country, and a supposed partner in a union of equals - something that hasn't actually been true for decades (if ever) but a founding principal of the UK, and a cornerstone of the combined scaremongering/love-bombing campaign to keep the UK together in 2014.

It's only fair to point out that the bad things prophesied with independence ( job losses, removal from the EU, economic hardship) have already happened, while the promises (ship-building contracts, continued EU membership, the permanence of the Scottish Parliament, increased devolution) have proven to be so much hot air.
    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

It does seem to be one of those years, doesn't it?
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Well I'm still breathing and just finished the final essay of my first year of my second MA course and just over a year ago both seemed like an unlikely prospect so as far as I'm concerned it's been a good year -so far. Rather like Pilot Officer Prune's definition of a good landing - 'one you can walk away from'.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
          Try living in Scotland.

The SNP walked out of Parliament - their detractors called it a publicity stunt - after Scotland was ignored in the EU debate, on withholding powers from the EU from the Scottish parliament (no Scot was permitted to speak, during a debate which attacked the fundamental principles of democracy) - one English MP even going so far as to ask why Scotland should be treated any differently from an English region of similar size.

The difference is that Scotland is a country, and a supposed partner in a union of equals - something that hasn't actually been true for decades (if ever) but a founding principal of the UK, and a cornerstone of the combined scaremongering/love-bombing campaign to keep the UK together in 2014.

It's only fair to point out that the bad things prophesied with independence ( job losses, removal from the EU, economic hardship) have already happened, while the promises (ship-building contracts, continued EU membership, the permanence of the Scottish Parliament, increased devolution) have proven to be so much hot air.
          Here I thought the comeuppance of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his defeat in the Battles of the '45 pretty much settled stuff like this...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Well I'm still breathing and just finished the final essay of my first year of my second MA course and just over a year ago both seemed like an unlikely prospect so as far as I'm concerned it's been a good year -so far. Rather like Pilot Officer Prune's definition of a good landing - 'one you can walk away from'.
            It hasn't been a bad year for me either. Just one where everyone I knew, self included experienced a big life change. I started counting and it's quite a tally. Dad remarried, 1 friend got an empty nest the other became a first time Dad, 1 surgery, 3 moves, a job change, a philosophical shift for me plus new work and new habits. Pastor's wife retired then he did the same. And all in 2018. Must be a Mayan calendar thing.
            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Here I thought the comeuppance of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his defeat in the Battles of the '45 pretty much settled stuff like this...
              All that a**ehole wanted to do was put a Stuart back on the British throne - not to re-establish independence.

Just about everyone who tells us that the question was settled in 2014, goes strangely silent when asked about delivery of the promises they made to win.
              Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Don't you guys have all the subs?
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X