Thought For Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought For Today

The Ark was built by amateurs, while the Titanic was built by experts.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

2nd thought

There are no ice bergs in the Middle East
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      2nd thought

There are no ice bergs in the Middle East
      Actually, artificial "icebergs" have been created; however, your point is well taken.

And alligators cannot run in a zig-zag fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        The Ark was built by amateurs, while the Titanic was built by experts.
        The "Ark" was built out of wood, and (reportedly) larger than any other wooden ship on record.
        The Titanic (and sister ship) were made of metal~steel (& had a design flaw in it's watertight compartment barriers).

According to earlier accounts of "The Flood" from Sumerian sources; Ziusudra got plans and directions on construction from one of the Gawds, EnKi/EA;
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziusudra
        The Sumerian account has it subjected to a tsunami of sorts in it's "launch".
        Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
        Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Actually, artificial "icebergs" have been created;

In a Scottish loch as part of a WW2 project for producing artificial landing strips for transatlantic flights
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

The "Ark" was built out of wood, and (reportedly) larger than any other wooden ship on record.
            The Titanic (and sister ship) were made of metal~steel (& had a design flaw in it's watertight compartment barriers).

According to earlier accounts of "The Flood" from Sumerian sources; Ziusudra got plans and directions on construction from one of the Gawds, EnKi/EA;
            The Ark if built to the specified dimensions out of gopher wood (again as specified) would have hogged and sunk. The Sumerian vessel appears to have been round and made from wicker covered with pitch/tar coated material and a larger version of cattle transports used on the Euphrates/Tigress river system until comparatively recent times. Current theories suggest that the story relates to one of these caught in an exceptional flood and washed out into the Gulf ending up in Dilmun (modern Bahrain) which in those days with a different climate was very lush and sometimes cited as the original Garden of Eden.

Comment

That being said...my thought for today is that I forgot to put the brisket for tonight in the marinade...
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                That being said...my thought for today is that I forgot to put the brisket for tonight in the marinade...
                Try soy sauce and Dr Pepper for less than two hours. Got that recipe from a Haredi Jew, and it makes for the best brisket I've ever had.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Try soy sauce and Dr Pepper for less than two hours. Got that recipe from a Haredi Jew, and it makes for the best brisket I've ever had.
                  It's the pepsin in the Pepper.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

In a Scottish loch as part of a WW2 project for producing artificial landing strips for transatlantic flights
                    In the desert mountains, as a means of providing irrigation water during spring melt. OPERATION HABUKKAH was something entirely different, and was designed to be a carrier to provide air cover in the Black Gap, the uncovered portion of the Atlantic convoy routes around Greenland.

Comment

The Ark had no water-tight compartments at all, so your point is? Incidentally "gods" don;t need boats, so where did they get the plans from?

Comment

In the desert mountains, as a means of providing irrigation water during spring melt. OPERATION HABUKKAH was something entirely different, and was designed to be a carrier to provide air cover in the Black Gap, the uncovered portion of the Atlantic convoy routes around Greenland.
                        That was one use mooted for it but the original concept was to facilitate ferrying of non naval aircraft across the Atlantic as part of lease lend.and as part of the US build up in the UK

Comment

The Ark had no water-tight compartments at all, so your point is? Incidentally "gods" don;t need boats, so where did they get the plans from?
                          According to Old Testament, it was JHWH whom told Noah what to build, how to build, and what to load. ...
                          ... meanwhile no trace of "The Ark" has been found, so guess it is "legend", or as one poster here might put it, "fairy tale".
                          ... Titanic by alternate does have record that is valid and has been 'Found' at ocean's bottom ...

Getting back to Sumerian accounts~"myth", their "Gawds" may have been a bit short of "Creators of the Cosmos" and using "flying chariots" to get about in the skies, among other devices, etc. might have a use for boats, or ...
                          ... see this thread for more details;
                          Geminga Scenario
                          Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

According to Old Testament, it was JHWH whom told Noah what to build, how to build, and what to load. ...
                            ... meanwhile no trace of "The Ark" has been found, so guess it is "legend", or as one poster here might put it, "fairy tale".
                            ... Titanic by alternate does have record that is valid and has been 'Found' at ocean's bottom ...

Getting back to Sumerian accounts~"myth", their "Gawds" may have been a bit short of "Creators of the Cosmos" and using "flying chariots" to get about in the skies, among other devices, etc. might have a use for boats, or ...
                            ... see this thread for more details;
                            Geminga Scenario
                            I am aware of what "god" allegedly said, but the point was not his words, but why a "god" needed plans for a boat in the first place?

I am also well aware of the Gilgamesh legend, and the fact that Noah never met a Sumerian in his entire life...so?

That being said, the entire point of the OP went right by everyone. The Amateur got it right - the pros did not. Sometimes "experts" are not the best source of information.

New thought for the day: Optimists get people killed, often in large numbers. Think Custer, Japanese field commanders, E.A. Smith of Titanic, the captain of the Hindenburgh, Lord Cardigan of the Light Brigade, light aircraft pilots and a host of other people who "know" they can do it despite all evidence to the contrary.

Comment

I am aware of what "god" allegedly said, but the point was not his words, but why a "god" needed plans for a boat in the first place?

Might need to start with how we are going to define a "god"/"Gawd".

Early Civ accounts, such as Sumerian(Akkadian~Babylonian), Etc.; suggest we may be looking at an ET species/race with very advanced tech. To paraphrase Arthur C. Clarke; "Science sufficiently advanced beyond understanding(grasp) of those seeing such might seem like magic."

I am also well aware of the Gilgamesh legend, and the fact that Noah never met a Sumerian in his entire life...so?
                              If more versed in the writings/records of that region and it's early times you might also know(appreciate) that Abram's father (and family~tribe) originate from old Sumerian city(region) of Harran (NW Mesopotamia) and while there are claims that Genesis may have been written about 1400 B.C., there are also claims that most of the Old Testament was written more after about 538 B.C.; after the Jews return from exile in Babylon and have reacquainted with older Sumerian~Akkadian~Babylonian written records.

Either way, it appears "the Jews" have Mesopotamian origins and would be expected to be familiar with the records(legends) of that region and that the OT/Jewish "Noah" is another name for Ziusudra ( Atrahasis, Utnapishtim ) ... Hence "Noah" is a Sumerian(etc.). Meanwhile, Ark has yet to be found.

That being said, the entire point of the OP went right by everyone. The Amateur got it right - the pros did not. Sometimes "experts" are not the best source of information.
                              Not really "over our heads", more like we didn't respond the way you wanted.

In both cases supposed "experts" provided the designs and craftsmen did the production. Per OT, doubtful that "Noah" and his few sons could have harvest trees (wood/lumber) from lands distant to mostly treeless Mesopotamia (no major forests), transported same to the building site, shaped and carved into lumber and built the Ark without some local help. Meanwhile needing someone in addition to plant, grow, and harvest food to sustain the operation of construction and later loading "the Ark".

I think I and others "got your point". If I need my car fixed I'm likely going to an auto mechanic(tradesman) rather than an automotive engineer. Both "experts" of sorts, but with different training.

A better example might be the Wright brothers; a pair of bicycle mechanics without physics or astronomy degrees (or aeronautics degrees; ); whom overcame professional opinions that powered and manned heavier than air flight was impossible.

New thought for the day: Optimists get people killed, often in large numbers. Think Custer, Japanese field commanders, E.A. Smith of Titanic, the captain of the Hindenburgh, Lord Cardigan of the Light Brigade, light aircraft pilots and a host of other people who "know" they can do it despite all evidence to the contrary.
                              But do optimists get more people killed than pessimists ????

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X