Sniper rifles suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper rifles suck

I agree with this article and thought some people may also be interested.

Why like them

Sniper rifles suck

There, I said it. Deal with it. Let me say it again – sniper rifles suck. Don’t like it? Tough, because odds are that if you’re annoyed, you don’t have the skills to use any other weapon. So go back to humping the dirt in Call of Duty or camping the bridge on de_aztec with all your l33t skill.

That sniper rifles are the bane of first-person shooters is an indisputable fact, yet people choose to dispute it anyway. Why? Because everyone has the little fantasy of being the lone wolf, the deadly, stalking sniper who hits without being seen, goes 10-0 every round and by the time the map is over he’ll be hailed as living god by the peons he’s slain or saved from certain death. Sniper rifles exist in games because they appeal to the Munchkin inside all of us, because we all want to run around with the BFG 9000 and lay waste to earth, heaven and hell. And make no mistake about it, if there is a BFG 9000 in a game, odds are it fires one shot at a time and has a big huge zoom on it.

Every other ‘reason’ for the existence of sniper rifles – realism, historical accuracy, weapon diversity, giving players identifiable roles – is a lie. There’s nothing realistic about sniper rifles as they appear in games, nothing historically accurate, they not only don’t improve weapon diversity they make it worse, there is NO skill involved, but yes, scoped weapons do give a new role to players – the dirt-humping camper.

So let me dispatch these myths and send them to hell before we tackle the reasons why sniper rifles should never, ever be implemented in any other game again.

1. Realism. No, sorry, there’s nothing realistic about taking a shot every second with your scoped Mosin-Nagant or Springfield. They’re bolt-action rifles and need to manually load the next bullet, meaning losing sight of the target. The guns also aren’t one-shot kills. If they are, so would be the MP44 Sturmgewehr or AK-47 at shorter distances, which use similarly sized ammunition. As it is, most games set sniper rifles to be the Finger of God – simply look at your target, twitch your finger and boom, he’s dead. Forget that it’s called “sniper rifle” and imagine it’s called “Finger of God” – would you implement a weapon with that name, as a designer?

2. Historical Accuracy. Sorry son, the battlefield just isn’t comprised of 50% snipers. Yes, limiting their use to 1 or 2 people per team is possible, but that has other drawbacks, like making 1 or 2 people on each team 5:1 kill ratio gods, while everyone else suffers.

3. Weapon Diversity. No, when a sniper rifle makes it into a game, everyone wants to use it. All other weapons lose a tremendous amount of appeal. Who wants to rush with the MP40 or AK when you know you’re going to run into a veritable wall of lead – why not just snipe back?

4. Skill. Yeah, right. Sorry buddy, but poking your head out every few seconds to take a cheap shot before moving to a new location isn’t skill. All you need is the most basic semblance of aim and reflexes to get a sniping kill. In a sniper duel, it’s just a matter of who’s faster and more accurate – just TWO basic, basic abilities get exaggerated in importance.
    http://www.firingsquad.com/features/jakub_rant_sniper/

:+: Holding sniper rifle sideways (like a gangsta) bags Igotmil from 1,200 meters. :+:

*plink* bullseye

:+: Skillfully moves to spot overlooking spawn point, patiently waits for milk to respawn :+:

Comment

There is a game in development that I am trying to get some information on. It is called Sniper Elite and claims to be a "true" sniper game requiring skill, stealth, and a variety of environmental factors such as wind, distance, visibility, weather, and the heart rate of the shooter. All these things combine to allow/disallow a sniper to get what should be a one-shot one-kill situation (head-shot). However, something tells me this game might be vapor-ware.

One of the better games using a sniper rifle is Enemy Territory, in that when you fire your shot you get recoil, you lose your zoom, and you must re-orient on your target. However, you don't have to relocate after each shot, nor does it (or any other game I know of) take distance/wind/etc. into account.

As a semi-professional sniper in FPS games, I agree it can be a blessing or a bane depending on how good the sniper is. Many times, fools will lay about in the woods and never get a good shot or won't ever control a position - making them irrelevant to a game. On the flip side, I have been in games where almost everyone is a sniper making the simple task of walking almost impossible. Neither is very fun.

Snipers are a requirement in my opinion however, because without them you have no stand-off ability and instead will just have a melee in the middle of any map which may or may not be your bag. It isn't mine
      Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Sounds to me like someone takes their FPS experience a little too seriously. Being a FPS gamer, I've accepted that sniping happens. If I want a little payback, go get some and stop whinning about it .. it just makes me want to snipe ya more.
        So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Tzu
          Sounds to me like someone takes their FPS experience a little too seriously. Being a FPS gamer, I've accepted that sniping happens. If I want a little payback, go get some and stop whinning about it .. it just makes me want to snipe ya more.
          It has nothing to do wth FPS and everything to do with my actual experience with guns.

Yes, I CAN play FPS with snipers but that does not make me a sniper. A sniper takes even rain into consideration.

Wanna' talk?

Comment

Yes, I CAN play FPS with snipers but that does not make me a sniper.

Yap. Sounds like Igm got totally 0wN3d by some kid w/ a M21.

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenSalad
              Yes, I CAN play FPS with snipers but that does not make me a sniper.

Yap. Sounds like Igm got totally 0wN3d by some kid w/ a M21.

Actually I have only played two games with this super sniper rifle they are talking about, Halo and Grand Theft Auto III.

I gave up on FPS when you were still in your napies with Duke Nukem 3D being the last until Halo. But I have had a renewed interest. This article makes some valid points and I just thought I would share it to try and generate conversation with the adults Sped-x.

Comment

I wasn't aiming my comment at you IGotMilk, more at the person who wrote the article you posted. It just seems to me that the person has been playing games like Battlefield 1942 or HALO or some such in an online or large group environment and has taken a particular dislike to the "sniper" that just doesn't make sense. Of course there's a major difference between a sniper in a game like Battlefield and a real sniper. But in a multiplayer FPS game, the sniper is about as close to a real sniper as the guy running around jumping all over firing his machine gun is to a real soldier, ie not close at all. Going to the level or writing this big long winded rant complaining about snipers in that kind of environment is just silly.

The same kind of argument could be made for any kind of "class" in an FPS game, a real life counterpart to every one has more skills, talents and responsibilities that just pulling a trigger. A true sniper takes everything into account, temperature, wind, ect but does that mean anything in an FPS, no so why complain about it?
                So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

Comment

I think he makes some valid points though and that many, many children are fooled into thinking that being a real sniper is much, much easier than it actually is.

In real life I am not a good shot, but I compensate for that by sending a LOT of rounds downrange.

But the way things are going in the real world, by the time some of these kids are old enough to join the military being a sniper may be as easy as it is in the video games. :P

Comment

Being a sniper is hella tough and not many can make it. You got to have mental as well as physical toughness. Of course patience is huge for them as well. Snipers are one of the most significant assets of the army. A good sniper can solely stall precious time from the enemy as well as providing a great deal of fear on the enemy. It also can make a huge different in a battle or war by taking out key officers as well as politicians. Snipers are basically assassins of the modern weapon age. You can protect yourself from a M1abram, but you cannot escape a sniper for long.

Comment

Originally posted by Yue Fei
                      Being a sniper is hella tough and not many can make it. You got to have mental as well as physical toughness. Of course patience is huge for them as well. Snipers are one of the most significant assets of the army. A good sniper can solely stall precious time from the enemy as well as providing a great deal of fear on the enemy. It also can make a huge different in a battle or war by taking out key officers as well as politicians. Snipers are basically assassins of the modern weapon age. You can protect yourself from a M1abram, but you cannot escape a sniper for long.
                      I disagree with this. Snipers are not one, or even close to one of the most significant asset's of the army. They do have their use, and a lot of what snipers do falls under recon and intelligence gathering. You CAN escape a sniper and in a duel I would take the M1 since it takes one of the snipers biggest assetts away with its variety of sights that make a man glow.

There is a need for snipers but they do not take and hold ground which is usually one of the objectives of an Army.

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenSalad
                        :+: Holding sniper rifle sideways (like a gangsta) bags Igotmil from 1,200 meters. :+:

*plink* bullseye

:+: Skillfully moves to spot overlooking spawn point, patiently waits for milk to respawn :+:

I hear ya!

Man has that one been done to death...
                        "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Brian King
                          It is called Sniper Elite and claims to be a "true" sniper game, (snip) something tells me this game might be vapor-ware.
                          Any updates on it?
                          "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Igotmilk™
                            Actually I have only played two games with this super sniper rifle they are talking about, Halo and Grand Theft Auto III.

I gave up on FPS when you were still in your napies with Duke Nukem 3D being the last until Halo. But I have had a renewed interest. This article makes some valid points and I just thought I would share it to try and generate conversation with the adults Sped-x.
                            No, I hear you there, IGM. I was playing FPS games since day 1, but I got dreadfully sick of them (lack of originality in new releases), and playing with people like this made me either resort to the same tactic, or ignore it and get pasted.

I've found the best thing to do is to find like minded people, and setup your own games. Kindred spirits ensure that you can enjoy a good game without going through that kind of guff.

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Shane Sohnle
                              No, I hear you there, IGM. I was playing FPS games since day 1, but I got dreadfully sick of them (lack of originality in new releases), and playing with people like this made me either resort to the same tactic, or ignore it and get pasted.

I've found the best thing to do is to find like minded people, and setup your own games. Kindred spirits ensure that you can enjoy a good game without going through that kind of guff.
                              There is a free sniper simulator out there but I lost the link.

It is not a game, it is more of a simulator in long range shooting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X