A big bulls eye in New York City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big bulls eye in New York City

Are we just inviting trouble by replacing the Twin Towers with another large structure, or do we (as Americans) NEED to rebuild with such a structure to prove that we are not intimidated?

I can see the fiscal value in such a tower, but wouldn't a simple monument and some grass/natural areas been a more fitting tribute. Give those high stress Wall Street types a place to go to remember what is important in life

New York replaces Twin Towers
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Re: A big bulls eye in New York City

Originally posted by Brian King
    Are we just inviting trouble by replacing the Twin Towers with another large structure, or do we (as Americans) NEED to rebuild with such a structure to prove that we are not intimidated?

I can see the fiscal value in such a tower, but wouldn't a simple monument and some grass/natural areas been a more fitting tribute. Give those high stress Wall Street types a place to go to remember what is important in life

I'm not American, but I would consider myself a dedicated student of America, and americans in general. It would be totally out of character, and personally, I would be very dissapointed if you didn't build bigger, larger, grander. I can't imagine any U.S. response that wasn't partially "f*ck you".

Good decision.

Comment

This is great! :thumb: The original plans were very weak and rather weird.

Comment

i like the new design and think we should go for it! i just hope they have a few patriot batteries on the roof!
        i also liked dingbat's reply! where are you from dingbat?
        Publisher
        Armchair General Magazine
        Weider History Group

Comment

I'm a proud canadian. Don't always see eye to eye with my friends to the south, but can't imagine life without 'em.

Comment

Yup, sounds like a Canuck! (Don't you just love our Molson beer commercials, and doesn't it bother you considerably that none of our Yankee friends ever get to see them?)
            "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

On the tower - I think it would be a mistake for the US not to build it. For the ideals that the world has come to view you (the US) for, it would be terribly out of character, and lend a sense of victory to the terrorists if you didn't fill the skyline with a giant 'bird' pointing out to all the enemies of freedom.
              "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

haha... I am back from vacation ... AND this is my office chatting room with my buddies

Well, besides the reasons you gentlemen stated for the new construction, I would like to add one very important reason that we must rebuild it:

The WHOLE New York City looks totally different with a super high structure at downtown area ---- it is like a bridge of a battleship and it raise the spirit of the whole Manhatten island up to the top. It also echos the Statue of Liberty to the South over the Bay. The view, the feeling and the color during the dusk ---- they are just so great that I think NYC would be one grade up with it and one grade down without it.

The only regret I have is the it seems now we will have a single tower standing there... I still like the twin design. but well ... they are professional. just .... how much I missed the twin towers ..
                Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

No.

The whole idea is to prove that not only were we not destroyed in that heinous attack, we came back stronger. It reinforces the destruction of the Taliban and Saddam regimes.

We're still here, and we're in your face.

JS
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Shane

Im a Coors man myself. But seriously, in order for us Americans to truly show we have overcome the horrific events, let it be built. I for one would be honored to help build it
                    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Originally posted by Keef
                      i like the new design and think we should go for it! i just hope they have a few patriot batteries on the roof!
                      i also liked dingbat's reply! where are you from dingbat?
                      Not just Patriots but CIWS too - the whole shebang:armed:
                      Just to be sure.

_______
                      "He's a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4,500 wounded — some of them terribly — $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and our reputation and our image in the world, particularly in that region, shattered."
                      -Gen. Anthony C. Zinni on Saddam Hussein
                      I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
                      -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

I agree with Shane - but go one step further, actually build a zonking great tower in the shape and colour of an enormous single finger, pointing towards Bin Laden's suspected hideout.

Dr. S.
                        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

IMHO, buillding upon the site of the WTC is a symbolic gesture, and one whose motives need to be carefully considered. Are we building to declare to the terrorists that we have recovered, that they have accomplished nothing, that their attack meant nothing? Building there is solely an exercise in one-upmanship, and creates nothing of last value. If we build there, build because there is a clear functional need to, not because we wnat to throw it in the face of OBL and other terrorists and extremists. How about a parking garage - I understand that parking in Manhattan is at a premium. Would building such a generic structure trivialize what happened in 2001? No, we have shown already, our grief, anger and resolve to avenge their senseless death - and we have acted to begin to do so. Building such a functional structure will merely indicate that we are moving on and will respond in due time to the cowardly acts of the terrorists. As well, I am not averse to a memorial at the sight, provided it is not obscenely overstated, onstentatious or diminshing of the acts that occurred on that site.
                          Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                          (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

I am a New Yorker. I live in Staten Island, the southern most borough of the city. Every day I take the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan to go work. I was there in lower Manhattan on 9/11, in full view of the towers. I was there when the second plane struck. I was one of the scores of thousands who had to evacuate.

First and foremost, we must rebuild on Ground Zero. We must show those SOBs and everyone who thinks like them that we may have been down, but we are not out. We have to show them that this is our neighborhood. And you can't come in here and throw your weight around and not get payback.

I personally do not like any of the proposals presented. But I do not make those decisions. There is not universal agreement about what should go up. There is almost unanimous agreement in NY that something should go up. Should it be bigger? Should it be the same? Should it be smaller? We need office space. We need shop space. We need a place where we will be reminded that we got complacent. We need a place to remind us that there are those who fear us and our way of life, and hate us for it. We need to be reminded that we must always be vigilant and guard our precious and fragile freedom. We must remember those who were murdered because we are free. We need a place to remember the selfless emergency workers who went in while everyone was running out. We need to remember. We need a reminder of the thousands who toiled for months to recover our lost ones.

There can be no one solution to all of this. But somehow, somewhere it must become. It isn't ego. It is need. It is right.

Everyday I ride the ferry into work and see a great vacuum where the WTC stood. Every day I am angered by those who took from us becaue they feared and hated us. Everyday I remember those who were lost and those who saved and those who were left behind. Everyday I remember.
                            Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X