Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Generals of all-time (for the magazine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Generals of all-time (for the magazine)

One of our features in the first or second issues is going to be a list of Armchair General reader's choices for the best generals of all time. First we need to set the field and pick about 10-15 of the best of the best. Who would you like to see in the race?

I'm talking about people like Napoleon, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Genghis Khan, as well as modern generals such as Lee, Patton, Eisenhower, etc. Once we have a good list, we'll put them into a poll and see what shakes out.

Throw em out there and lets see what we come up with.
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

In no particular order:

-Alexander the Great
    -Napoleon
    -Vo Nguyen Giap
    -R.E. Lee
    -Hannibal
    -U.S. Grant
    -Von Manstein
    -Frederick II (not sure he qualifies)
    -Ike
    -Admiral Nelson

Probably forgot a lot

Comment

The nominees are:

Alexander the Great
      Julius Cesar
      Charlemange
      Genghis Khan
      Gustavus Adolphus
      Peter the Great
      Napoleon Bonaparte
      Simon Bolivar
      Heinz Guderian
      Mao Tse-tung

Comment

-Hannibal Barca
        -Scipio Africanus
        -Genghis Khan
        -Napoleon Bonaparte
        -Erich von Manstein
        -Heinz Guderian
        -William T Sherman
        -George S Patton Jr
        -Douglas MacArthur
        -Erwin Rommel
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Here my list :

Cesar.
          Hannibal.
          Alexander the Great.
          Joan of Arc.
          Turennes.
          Napoleon.
          Lawrence of Arabia.
          Rommel.
          Mao Tse Toung
          Sherman.
          Grant.
          Monsieur de La Palice est mort
          Mort devant Pavie.
          Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
          Il était encore en vie...

Comment

OK, my nominees:

Alexander the Great (Several mentions)
            Hannibal (for Cannae)
            Henry V (for Agincourt)
            Nelson (for Trafalgar)
            Napoleon (Numerous mentions - best possibly Austerlitz)
            Wellington (The Peninsular and Waterloo)
            Guederian (France and the Low Countries 1940)
            "Teamwork is essential - it gives the Enemy someone else to shoot at"

Comment

One little suggestion: as I feel I do not know enough about many generals of the west, I also guess probably western people do not know much about the generals of the east. So maybe it makes sense to narrow the "best generals of all-time" to something like "best generals of the west" or of certain category?

Also it is really hard to compare many modern generals and acient ones---- and it probably is even hard to comparing two generals in the same theatre at the same time (e.g., Guderian and Manstein..) .... So maybe some more detailed critiria on what "best' means may also help?

just my 2c.. .
              Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Our feature is on the best generals of "all time" so if there are Eastern generals that should be represented by all means include them here - but be sure to back them up! Once the voting starts we will probably have a small outline of their key accomplishments.
                Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

The Top 20 Best Generals in order.

1. Hannibal Barca
                  2. Napoleon
                  3. Erwin Rommel
                  4. Heinz Guerdian
                  5. Robert E. Lee
                  6. George S. Patton Jr.
                  7. Zhukov
                  8. Erich von Manstein
                  9. Julius Caesar
                  10. Scipio Africanus
                  11. Alexander the Great
                  12. William the Conqueror
                  13. Atilla the Hun
                  14. William Wallace
                  15. Dwight Eisenhower
                  16. U. S. Grant
                  17. "Stonewall" Jackson
                  18. Spartacus ( not sure if he qualifies)
                  19. Sepp Diethrich( I'm not sure whether he was a Col. or Gen. but he deserved to be one.
                  20. Saladin
                  Hell was full, so I came back.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian King
                    be sure to back them up!
                    Well, since you asked:

Charlemange - United the Germanic, Roman, and other Europeans during the Middle Ages. Fought the Moors in Spain and the Avars in Hungary. By the year 800 was proclaimed the emperor of the restored Holy Roman Empire. Oversaw the introduction of the mounted knight.

Gustavus Adolphus - Known as the 'Father of Modern Warfare'. Led the strongest army of that period in the 30 Years' War. Vastly improved the use of firearms, artillery, and cavalry on the battlefield.

Simon Bolivar - The George Washington of South America. With an army that consisted of only a few thousand men, he was able to liberate Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia from Spanish rule.

Comment

Sorry didn't see the "be sure to back them up" part so her it is again with a reason.

The Top 20 Best Generals in order.

1. Hannibal Barca- the only in his life was to #10 on this list, Scipio
                      2. Napoleon-Duh, the best and only General France has ever contributed to anything.
                      3. Erwin Rommel-Hello, Afrika Korps
                      4. Heinz Guerdian-Blitzkrieg
                      5. Robert E. Lee-with more men this guy could have won Gettysburg
                      6. George S. Patton Jr.-You got to love the "Damn the torpedos, Full speed ahead" attitude of this guy although he did not coin that phrase.
                      7. Zhukov- The offensive the sent Operation Barbarrossa into retreat.
                      8. Erich von Manstein- I can't remember what he did, but I know he was a great genral
                      9. Julius Caesar-conquest of Gaul (Vinni, Vitti, Vicci)
                      10. Scipio Africanus-The only man to ever defeat Hannibal Barce #1 on this list.
                      11. Alexander the Great- The conquest of nearly half the known world by the time he was 30.
                      12. William the Conqueror- Nobody gets a name like that and does not have a reputation for being a great leader.
                      13. Atilla the Hun-Brought down the Roman Empire
                      14. William Wallace-Has anyone ever seen Braveheart
                      15. Dwight Eisenhower-Supreme Commander AEF (No, it does not stand for After England Fails[Ha ha].)
                      16. U. S. Grant- The Vicksburg Campaign, Ft. Donelson, Ft. Henry
                      17. "Stonewall" Jackson- defensive Genius
                      18. Spartacus ( not sure if he qualifies)-lead an insurrection against the Romans. If he doesn't qualify instead use Gen. Cornwallus, great general but America destroyed him and the British in the American Revolution.
                      19. Sepp Diethrich( I'm not sure whether he was a Col. or Gen. but he deserved to be one.)- has anyone ever heard of Kampgruffe Diethrich, or Kampgruffe Pfeifer( in case you were wondering Pfeifer would have been my #21
                      20. Saladin- He conquered Jerusalem.

Comment

In #1 I meant to say:
                        The only loss in his life came to #10 on this list Scipio.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin_rommel
                          2. Napoleon-Duh, the best and only General France has ever contributed to anything.
                          Keep your disdainful comment to yourself please.

Originally posted by erwin_rommel
                          19. Sepp Diethrich( I'm not sure whether he was a Col. or Gen. but he deserved to be one.)- has anyone ever heard of Kampgruffe Diethrich, or Kampgruffe Pfeifer( in case you were wondering Pfeifer would have been my #21.
                          Correct spelling is Sepp Dietrich, another of the Hitler's SS goons, he finished the war as an Oberstgruppenfürhrer (Major-General). As for KG Pfeifer, never heard of it, maybe you mean KG Peiper?

Comment

Brian, hmm... I can tell some brief stories here about many Chinese generals, yet it will be very hard to compare them to the western legends ---- they simply lived in totally different worlds (imagine, 2000 years ago, no means of communication, no means of transportation ...) . And I do not know much about history of other parts of Asia: India, Japan, etc... I guess they all have their own legends. Ok, anyway, here are the stories briefly, hopefully either educational or entertaining

Due to the size of Chinese civilization, even very early wars in this area involved large number of troops. Also because very early in this land, "political war" concept was firmly established, so even pretty early wars were fought like Clausewitz's "total war". Bearing this in mind, it is easily to understand the huge numbers --- comparing to the western battles:
                            (list by time, not by merit)

Yue, Yi (500 BC) --- general of Yan Kingdom, he served the army when the kingdom was utterly defeated with merely one city left. He led his troops into counterattack and defeated the enemy Qi Kingdom, until there is only the last capital of Qi left. However, the King of Yan died at this time, and the successor did not trust him and replaced him at that point. (The size of Yan and Qi Kingdom are roughly of the size of France.)

Bai, Qi (300 BC) --- General of Qin empire, in his most legendary battle, he tricked 400,000 garrison of Zhao kingdom into a fight and surrounded them, the force was destroyed, followed soon by the surrender of Zhao kingdom. He also defeated Han, Wei and some other minor factions. Half of the uniting work of Qin empire was done by him.

... continue later. .
                            Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ER Chaser

Bai, Qi (300 BC) --- General of Qin empire, in his most legendary battle, he tricked 400,000 garrison of Zhao kingdom into a fight and surrounded them, the force was destroyed, followed soon by the surrender of Zhao kingdom. He also defeated Han, Wei and some other minor factions. Half of the uniting work of Qin empire was done by him.
                              ER, did you see a movie called Hero by Zhang Yimou, staring Jet Li, Tony Leung and beautiful Maggie Cheung? If yes, what did you think of it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X