Favorite Season of Blackadder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Season of Blackadder

There were four seasons of the wonderful British SITCOM, Blackadder, which taken together are about the best four seasons of television since The Young Ones went off the air.

Season I: Set in the Middle Ages, this series is written as a secret history. By the end of the series, events converge with our timeline, when King Richard IV and his entire family are poisoned, allowing Henry Tudor to take the throne as King Henry VII. He then rewrites history, presenting Richard III as a monster, and eliminating Richard IV's reign from the history books.

Season II: Blackadder II is set in England during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I (1558–1603), played by Miranda Richardson. The principal character is Edmund, Lord Blackadder, the great-grandson of the original Black Adder. During the series, he often comes into contact with the Queen, her pretentious Lord Chamberlain Lord Melchett (Stephen Fry) and her demented former nanny Nursie (Patsy Byrne).

Season III: Blackadder the Third is set in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, a period known as the Regency. In the series, E. Blackadder Esquire is the butler to the Prince of Wales (the prince is played by Hugh Laurie as a complete fop and idiot). Despite Edmund's respected intelligence and abilities, he has no personal fortune to speak of, apart from his frequently-fluctuating wage packet from the Prince, as he says: 'If I'm running short of cash all I have to do is go upstairs and ask Prince Fat-head for a raise'.

Season IV: Blackadder Goes Forth is set in 1917, on the Western Front in the trenches of the First World War. Another "big push" is planned, and Captain Blackadder's one goal is to avoid getting shot, so he plots ways to get out of it. Blackadder is joined by the idealistic Edwardian twit Lieutenant George (Hugh Laurie), and the world's worst cook, Private S. Baldrick. Loony General Melchett (Stephen Fry) rallies his troops from a French mansion thirty-five miles from the front, where he is aided and abetted by his assistant, Captain Darling (Tim McInnerny), pencil-pusher supreme and Blackadder's nemesis, whose name is played on for maximum comedy value.

There are some smaller bits, too, but these are the main four. Please cast your ballot to determine which is the best of them all!
    The First Season
    6.90%
    Blackadder II
    17.24%
    Blackadder the Third
    13.79%
    Blackadder Goes Forth
    55.17%
    I've lived the life of a hermit (or have been in an asylum) so I know nothing of this show.
    6.90%

The poll is expired.

Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
    http://www.mormon.org
    http://www.sca.org
    http://www.scv.org/
    http://www.scouting.org/

Originally posted by Janos View Post
    There were four seasons of the wonderful British SITCOM, Blackadder, which taken together are about the best four seasons of television since The Young Ones went off the air.

Season I: Set in the Middle Ages, this series is written as a secret history. By the end of the series, events converge with our timeline, when King Richard IV and his entire family are poisoned, allowing Henry Tudor to take the throne as King Henry VII. He then rewrites history, presenting Richard III as a monster, and eliminating Richard IV's reign from the history books.

Season IV: Blackadder Goes Forth is set in 1917, on the Western Front in the trenches of the First World War. Another "big push" is planned, and Captain Blackadder's one goal is to avoid getting shot, so he plots ways to get out of it. Blackadder is joined by the idealistic Edwardian twit Lieutenant George (Hugh Laurie), and the world's worst cook, Private S. Baldrick. Loony General Melchett (Stephen Fry) rallies his troops from a French mansion thirty-five miles from the front, where he is aided and abetted by his assistant, Captain Darling (Tim McInnerny), pencil-pusher supreme and Blackadder's nemesis, whose name is played on for maximum comedy value.

I loved this stuff, on OPB, when I was like 15. The two season above both killed. Great stuff.
    "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Goes Forth, not only for the setting, but also because it was the funniest of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post

Season II: Blackadder II is set in England during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I (1558–1603), played by Miranda Richardson. The principal character is Edmund, Lord Blackadder, the great-grandson of the original Black Adder. During the series, he often comes into contact with the Queen, her pretentious Lord Chamberlain Lord Melchett (Stephen Fry) and her demented former nanny Nursie (Patsy Byrne).

Season III: Blackadder the Third is set in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, a period known as the Regency. In the series, E. Blackadder Esquire is the butler to the Prince of Wales (the prince is played by Hugh Laurie as a complete fop and idiot). Despite Edmund's respected intelligence and abilities, he has no personal fortune to speak of, apart from his frequently-fluctuating wage packet from the Prince, as he says: 'If I'm running short of cash all I have to do is go upstairs and ask Prince Fat-head for a raise'.

There are some smaller bits, too, but these are the main four. Please cast your ballot to determine which is the best of them all!
        I love all of black adder but the third, first and a bit of the fourth series I like the best

As cunning as doctor Fox the head proffeser of Cunning universtity?
        http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Has to be Blackadder goes forth
          when it started in the UK there was an outcry about making the Great war into a comedy.

The final scene slienced those critics

has to be the saddest end to a comedy sceries ever
          Confucius he say, war not determine who's right. War determine who's left

Comment

II...Miranda Richardson is a riot and I loved the collars.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Queenie uber alles! Then IV.

Comment

Love all the Blackadders but my favourite is the third, especially Miranda Richardson as the Squirrel hating Highwaywomen.
                Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Black Adder goes forth..... Maybe its the cynic in me but the last episode always gets me when some one says.. "1917...The Big Push...Home by Christmas " as the group go "over the top' and the scene fades to machingun fire ....Dammit I miss that series.

Baldrick was always my alter ego..."I have a cunning plan m,lord"

per ardua ad astra

Comment

Originally posted by Druid_Ian View Post
                    Has to be Blackadder goes forth
                    when it started in the UK there was an outcry about making the Great war into a comedy.

The final scene slienced those critics

has to be the saddest end to a comedy sceries ever
                    It was a remarkable ending, probably one of the best of any series.
                    "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                    G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                    Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

As a season: Blackadder Goes Fourth. Single best episode: Potato (Season II)
                      Best Movie: Blackadder Back and Forth in Time. Best special: Blackadder Christmas Carol.
                      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

It's got to be #4, just because the comic delivery is brilliant. However the last Episode always brings a lump to my throat, because you care about the Characters. Which allot of the time you don't in films, I play "spot the stiff" with films, it's a great game.

Best Episode; Private plane, with all the German Jokes.
                        Winnie says
                        ---------------------------------
                        "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                        Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post
                          Black Adder goes forth..... Maybe its the cynic in me but the last episode always gets me when some one says.. "1917...The Big Push...Home by Christmas " as the group go "over the top' and the scene fades to machingun fire ....Dammit I miss that series.

Baldrick was always my alter ego..."I have a cunning plan m,lord"

per ardua ad astra
                          Tony Robinson was great playing Baldrick

"Permission to right home immidiatly Sir my mothers going to be pleased as punch"

"only if she looked as good as punch Baldrick"

I have to whole seaon on DVD I love it

I wish they would make another series like a WW2 one or on ethat is in the future I would likt to see that

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                            It was a remarkable ending, probably one of the best of any series.
                            I agree but you got to say the Third one comes pretty close as well

Comment

Well, I voted for the first season. Baldrik is funny as heck in every season, but Blackadder is sillier in I than in the others, and Brian Blessed is a great actor and does a fantastic job as king.
                              Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                              Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                              http://www.mormon.org
                              http://www.sca.org
                              http://www.scv.org/
                              http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X