Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A simple choice about life

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A simple choice about life

    Today ive been watching series three of House to ease the pain... nuff said.

    The following 'question' derives from my viewing pleasure.

    Two statements...

    Life has meaning

    Life has no meaning

    Can fellow members choose which statement most represents what they believe and then explain why they believe it, in ANY context they feel applies.

    regards

    Gaz

  • #2
    For me, life has a clear meaning -- more than that: it has a purpose. That's true not just of my life, but all lives around me and throughout the world.
    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


    "Never pet a burning dog."

    RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
    http://www.mormon.org
    http://www.sca.org
    http://www.scv.org/
    http://www.scouting.org/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Janos View Post
      For me, life has a clear meaning -- more than that: it has a purpose. That's true not just of my life, but all lives around me and throughout the world.
      What purpose?

      Gaz

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
        What purpose?

        Gaz
        To get back to my Father in Heaven, live a good life while I am here, and make the earth a better place.
        Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


        "Never pet a burning dog."

        RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
        http://www.mormon.org
        http://www.sca.org
        http://www.scv.org/
        http://www.scouting.org/

        Comment


        • #5
          This is something of a Zen answer, but I believe both apply. There are many meaningless lives out there and I have encountered many of them. I think we bring or assign meaning to our own and others' lives. Not all meaning is positive and through history and our own experience I'm sure we can find people that have brought a lot of negative meaning to the world - Hitler, Pol Pot, etc.

          Personally, my life is meaningful and I think I have brought a lot of meaning to the people around me.
          TTFN

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Janos View Post
            To get back to my Father in Heaven, live a good life while I am here, and make the earth a better place.
            You,ve explained both your purpose and your intention(s). In what way does explain the meaning of (your) life.

            thanks

            Gaz

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kendoka Girl View Post
              There are many meaningless lives out there and I have encountered many of them.
              I'm not sure I agree -- just because they can't find their meaning doesn't mean there isn't one.
              Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
              Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


              "Never pet a burning dog."

              RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
              http://www.mormon.org
              http://www.sca.org
              http://www.scv.org/
              http://www.scouting.org/

              Comment


              • #8
                Life is what you make of it. It can have meaning if you choose to allow it. It can also be meaningless if you choose that path. It is up to the individual.
                Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
                If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kendoka Girl View Post
                  This is something of a Zen answer, but I believe both apply. There are many meaningless lives out there and I have encountered many of them. I think we bring or assign meaning to our own and others' lives. Not all meaning is positive and through history and our own experience I'm sure we can find people that have brought a lot of negative meaning to the world - Hitler, Pol Pot, etc.

                  Personally, my life is meaningful and I think I have brought a lot of meaning to the people around me.
                  Good answer...

                  Question...

                  Does your final statement show that you personally (or people in general) assign meaning(s) to life rather than life having a purpose outside of personal belief?

                  Gaz

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                    Life is what you make of it. It can have meaning if you choose to allow it. It can also be meaningless if you choose that path. It is up to the individual.
                    Again, I don't agree. Just because someone hasn't found meaning in his life doesn't mean others haven't, or that there is none.
                    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


                    "Never pet a burning dog."

                    RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                    http://www.mormon.org
                    http://www.sca.org
                    http://www.scv.org/
                    http://www.scouting.org/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Both statement is valid depending on ones mood for the time bein'
                      The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
                      ----
                      We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I agree with your idea that even if a person's life has no meaning for them internally, they may often have meaning to others and positively or negatively imact those around them. I do, however, still think that there are those who do not have meaning. I don't think that is right or wrong, but merely a status of their existence.
                        TTFN

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                          Life is what you make of it. It can have meaning if you choose to allow it. It can also be meaningless if you choose that path. It is up to the individual.
                          So meaning of life is the sum of the a persons actions in life, and by choosing those actions the person gives their life meaning?

                          If the above is true, how would/does this apply to the meaning of life in general (as a whole)... if at all?



                          Gaz

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Your life will effect someone else's, for good or evil, so it could never be meaningless. That doesn't mean you will agree with the meaning though.
                            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You affect everyone you contact every day, for good or ill, and that has meaning in the greater scheme of things. You may not see the result of a random act of kindness or anger, but it's there nonetheless. One can only try to have more of the former than the latter.
                              All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X