No announcement yet.

Is the US a RACIST country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both sides need to get their heads straight to end this racism problem. And this time, black Americans are not only contributing to the problem, but they're doing so right in the faces of whites who are not.
    That is close to my racist pov.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
      It only took 103 posts to get where I wanted to go.
      Thank You GAZ

Is it still racist to think of people as pinko or Limy

J
      Not at all old friend... i've always thought it an honour to be worthy of an epiphet or nickname!

Gaz

Comment

• Originally posted by RapierFighter View Post
        I didn't suggest that racism is not America's problem. Once some cracker uses the 'n' word, someone out there might assume that all white people would. That makes it my problem.

And I do think of all Americans who are guilty of racism. Trust me, I do. As an American, I can ill afford not to.

And considering that white America has been racist, and now by and large isn't, and blacks were the most oppressed (but I suppose that depends on whether you're an Indian or not...) and are now exhibiting bigoted qualities, while white racism once had the full support of the government while modern black racism enjoys the full support of the entertainment industry and the politically correct types...I think my so-called divide is fair. You are certainly entitled to your opinion that it is not. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

And back to the issue that racism is America's problem, not just of one group...

I never suggested that it was not everyone's problem. But then, I am doing what I can about the problem in question...

I am making sure that I am not part of it.

Which, if everyone did, would erase this problem from our country. I try to set an example by my conduct, and if certain white people don't get the message and remain bigoted towards blacks, then they are the ones causing the problem. If certain blacks decide to disregard my actions and assume that I am nothing but a cracker bigot deep down inside, then they are making their own contributions. What I am also suggesting is that the white person in question will be judged harshly for his opinions, while the black person in question will be able to play the part of the downtrodden minority and won't be judged so harshly for theirs.

Both sides need to get their heads straight to end this racism problem. And this time, black Americans are not only contributing to the problem, but they're doing so right in the faces of whites who are not.

That was the point of my post.

Any further interpretation is on you.
        First off Rapier mate, my comments were and are simply my point of view an a non American, based on my experiences as a Brit. Whether they are relevant to the USA is up to those who read them.

Second i'm not saying that anything in your post is wrong. My point is that its discussing the wrong things. What you state is in my view a HISTORY of Racism in America and its the lessons to be learnt from this that needs discussion. One lesson i see as crucial is of how the majority of white racism was defeated. This was done by blacks and whites working together. Thats the lesson i learned.

As to today the same thing applies to 'black' racism.

To solve that both blacks and whites have to work together AS Americans to solve this joint problem.

This may seem a little odd so i'll put it this way...

Prior to the Civil rights movement there was a lot of white racism. Yet the black population was also 'guilty of this crime' because like the white racists they too were Americans.

The same applies today but in reverse. If blacks are guilty of racism then ALL Americans are guilty, because you're all part of American society.

The question that should be asked is...

Why are some AMERICANS still racist, given the lessons their history teaches?

Gaz

Comment

• Why are some AMERICANS still racist, given the lessons their history teaches?

Ah GAZ ole son, another million dollar question; ya probably thought i wouldn't leap, like a cat after a rat in a cheese factory on, eh?

answer is simply enough. AGENDAS (and don't ask me what ya already know...)

THAT and of course they are fucing idjits...best on ya me ole pard.

b.
          CV

Comment

• Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
            Why are some AMERICANS still racist, given the lessons their history teaches?

Ah GAZ ole son, another million dollar question; ya probably thought i wouldn't leap, like a cat after a rat in a cheese factory on, eh?

answer is simply enough. AGENDAS (and don't ask me what ya already know...)

THAT and of course they are fucing idjits...best on ya me ole pard.

b.
            CV
            AGENDAS?

Stupidity, greed AND political power!...

CV you old cynic you!

Gaz

Comment

• Racism, like bigotry and hate, can never erradicated. Those who let it drive them can be pressured to keep their mouths shut though, thus some degree of control. Part of the problem here is that the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons have a large audience and they continue to 'flame' them for the power they receive, not justice or equality. Its a corrupt leadership advocating equality that already exists.

I am a little uncomfortable with racism being labeled as America's problem, though I understand its the focus of the thread, becuase its really everyone's problem and has been a problem in every country I have ever visited, except maybe Madagascar. Everyone there dates/mates regardless of race and there are more shades of people than I ever thought possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                Racism, like bigotry and hate, can never erradicated. Those who let it drive them can be pressured to keep their mouths shut though, thus some degree of control. Part of the problem here is that the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons have a large audience and they continue to 'flame' them for the power they receive, not justice or equality. Its a corrupt leadership advocating equality that already exists.

I am a little uncomfortable with racism being labeled as America's problem, though I understand its the focus of the thread, becuase its really everyone's problem and has been a problem in every country I have ever visited, except maybe Madagascar. Everyone there dates/mates regardless of race and there are more shades of people than I ever thought possible.
                I can only answer as follows...

Racism in America has to be viewed in terms of being an AMERICAN, and not in terms of BEING white, black, brown or yellow

or put another way...

To solve the problem of racism in the USA, its people must think in terms of being AMERICAN and not in terms of their own perceived race

or...

Don't think black or white... think American!

Gaz

Comment

• But I am still submitting that:

a. Racism is problem that can never be solved, though its a goal worth working towards.

b. Racism is not only America's problem. Its endemic globally.

Comment

But I am still submitting that:

a. Racism is problem that can never be solved, though its a goal worth working towards.

Biscuit...Biscuit...ya see this is why we LOVE YA on the high Llano...ya make sense..both ya points are as apt as any likely to be made now and in the future....but the ole reprobate the GAZ man is also correct.

For Americans to continue a better fight against bigotry et.al, they must 'think' like Americans and all that entiles....no one said we couldn't be or shouldn't be proud of our ethnic heritage ..for surely am I.

But heritage in context is not the only thing that makes America great nor does it necessarily dissuade the falsely applied applications of ultra-nationalism.

didnt know i could speak this well... did ya....eh?

WHO LOVES YA BISCUIT!!!!!!

b.
                    CV

Comment

• Rascism is not, in simple fact, "America's problem". It was present in the world long, long before this nation was ever founded. Racism is an imported problem from Old Europe, beginning with the savage brutalies, rape, slavery and cultural destruction of the native peoples of the Americas by the Spanish and French, and the colonial ambitions of virtually all of the Old European nations.

This issue of this particular thread, however, is the simple question of whether or not America is still racist in any way. As a nation, officially, it is not, and there is a large body of law to back that up. On a personal level, however, pockets of racism persist, driven by a complex mix of socioeconomics, politics, the philosophy of victimization and the personal agendas of certain political leaders and public figures.

Since politicans, like certain extremely bad odors, will always be with us, we can assume that some degree of racism will linger as well, until we reach the point allsirgarnet refers to when he said:
                      To solve the problem of racism in the USA, its people must think in terms of being AMERICAN and not in terms of their own perceived race
                      Well said, allsirgarnet.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                        Interesting. Another bunch of 'we're so multi-cultural' as if you're the only ones. Have you even read any of the posts by other Aussies? Or doesn't our multi-culturalism count?
                        Take a step back, Geek, I never said your guys weren't or that you're multi-cultural integration didn't count. I was simply stating the US is not the racist cesspool so many Europeans claim it is.

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                        Nobody dumps on the Romans sure but with 'strange fruit' and the KKK still in living memory it remains an issue. I wonder what any African American members have to say on this issue.
                        It doesn't. The KKK is marginalized as a hop, skip, and jump above a criminal organization. They aren't tolerated and are a fringe group ousted from true American culture. When the KKK came to Centralia the cops told them in no uncertain terms they would be treated as rioters (and we shoot rioters) if they attacked blacks and forbade them to get anywhere near black homes. They had their rally only at the behest of the first ammendment but they were watched and scorned.

There are many in the culture of victimization that want there to be racism in America (like Sharpton) because it encourages a sense of entitlement. But ask any hardworking American, white, black, hispanic, oriental, if they've encountered any racism in the past two decades and you won't likely hear anything. True racism in America is as dead as Julius Caesar.

When asked for opinions, you get them.
                        True, and you just got mine.

If you don't like them, that isn't really the problem of the rest of the world.
                        And when the US does something you guys don't like, rest assured we don't care either.

Americans refuse to listen to what the world tells them...what do we care?
                        Careful Geek, remember what happened to the last batch of men in red who told us how to run our country.

The US might do well to listen for once rather than thinking it's always in the position to do the telling.
                        Where did this rant come from? So far this thread has been primarily about non-Americans lecturing Americans on how evil and racist they are. We aren't the ones doing the finger wagging. Mind your own household.

Honestly, Geek, normally you're pretty easygoing so why all the hard edges today?

It's a specifically 'American' notion that the USA is the 'kindly, paternal figure'. That's your bag. The rest of us aren't buying it frankly.
                        Who's asking you to? Where did this argument come from?

You're educated differently and your society is different. With African Americans so over represented in the prison system and especially on death row
                        That's assuming you're right and assuming they're innocent. So far, in Missouri, I've actually seen more white people get arrested in the weekly police blotter.

The ideas of 'biggest, best, most righteous' or whatever is what makes the rest of us view you with suspicion and nervousness. It's SO obvious. When you can reduce your gun deaths to under 10,000 each year and abolish the death penalty for a start...I might begin paying it some attention.
                        It's nice to be viewed with suspicion and nervousness. It means you guys know not to start anything with us.

But seriously, lighten up. We aren't plotting to get you. And we have more people dying of cancer than guns (and our cancer survival rates are high). I've said this over and over, fear is looking at numbers instead of statistics. For a nation as heavily armed as ours we actually have a very few gun cases and most of these involve drug dealers with handguns they didn't get legally to begin with so so much for outlawing them.

That's one thing I have to laugh at. How naive are people to think that someone who isn't afraid of staring down murder one for shooting someone is somehow going to be intimidated by the illegal firearm possession law that gets them a slap on the wrist by comparison. I mean to they really expect the gang bangers, drug dealers, and hitmen of the world to say "Well, I was going to cap that rival gang, but now, since these weapons are now illegal, I guess maybe I'll go get a decent job."

You asked.
                        You answered, I replied. Are you done wagging your collective fingers at the big bad US yet? Cause if you don't mind, we need to get back to our economic and cultural imperialism. Word has it there are still some areas in Siberia that don't have McDonalds and Wal-Mart.
                        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

• Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
                          Take a step back, Geek, I never said your guys weren't or that you're multi-cultural integration didn't count. I was simply stating the US is not the racist cesspool so many Europeans claim it is.

It doesn't. The KKK is marginalized as a hop, skip, and jump above a criminal organization. They aren't tolerated and are a fringe group ousted from true American culture. When the KKK came to Centralia the cops told them in no uncertain terms they would be treated as rioters (and we shoot rioters) if they attacked blacks and forbade them to get anywhere near black homes. They had their rally only at the behest of the first ammendment but they were watched and scorned.

There are many in the culture of victimization that want there to be racism in America (like Sharpton) because it encourages a sense of entitlement. But ask any hardworking American, white, black, hispanic, oriental, if they've encountered any racism in the past two decades and you won't likely hear anything. True racism in America is as dead as Julius Caesar.

True, and you just got mine.

And when the US does something you guys don't like, rest assured we don't care either.

Careful Geek, remember what happened to the last batch of men in red who told us how to run our country.

Where did this rant come from? So far this thread has been primarily about non-Americans lecturing Americans on how evil and racist they are. We aren't the ones doing the finger wagging. Mind your own household.

Honestly, Geek, normally you're pretty easygoing so why all the hard edges today?

Who's asking you to? Where did this argument come from?

That's assuming you're right and assuming they're innocent. So far, in Missouri, I've actually seen more white people get arrested in the weekly police blotter.

It's nice to be viewed with suspicion and nervousness. It means you guys know not to start anything with us.

But seriously, lighten up. We aren't plotting to get you. And we have more people dying of cancer than guns (and our cancer survival rates are high). I've said this over and over, fear is looking at numbers instead of statistics. For a nation as heavily armed as ours we actually have a very few gun cases and most of these involve drug dealers with handguns they didn't get legally to begin with so so much for outlawing them.

That's one thing I have to laugh at. How naive are people to think that someone who isn't afraid of staring down murder one for shooting someone is somehow going to be intimidated by the illegal firearm possession law that gets them a slap on the wrist by comparison. I mean to they really expect the gang bangers, drug dealers, and hitmen of the world to say "Well, I was going to cap that rival gang, but now, since these weapons are now illegal, I guess maybe I'll go get a decent job."

You answered, I replied. Are you done wagging your collective fingers at the big bad US yet? Cause if you don't mind, we need to get back to our economic and cultural imperialism. Word has it there are still some areas in Siberia that don't have McDonalds and Wal-Mart.
                          Two points Pirate;
                          1. Yeah...I am usually more easy going and perhaps you're right...I should lighten up. I'm still struggling to give up smoking.

2. Lots of telling and swagger again but little listening.
                          Peace.
                          Last edited by Geek44; 06 Dec 07, 22:50.
                          The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                          Sideshow Bob.

Comment

• If the population of the US is about 300 million and the the members of the KKK is about 20 thousand, what is the percentage? Have Non-American see a modern Klan rally in real life? I have, it consisted of about 6 idiots dressed in sheets that required heavy police protection from hundreds of angry spectators. Almost all the anti-klan demonstrators were white as it was in a rural town populatated primarily with causcasians. At the end of their Klan rally, those six idiots celebrated by eating dinner at a Chinese resturant. Taking the KKK serious is like taking Holocaust deniers serious.

Are African-Americans over represented in the penal system? Yes, but then why are Chinese-Americans or Japanese-Americans under represented? I've seen numbers that show that up to 40% of prison population are illegal aliens, how would this translate into rascism?

Ever heard of Affirmative Action? Major universities had to lower their entry standards for certain racial groups to reach quotas that would reflect the national average proportions based on race and color, and not by grade or achievement. Imagine if the NFL or NBA used the same methods.

A poster mentioned about attitudes of convenient store owners. I fail to see the difference in their hatred of other people whether they are in the US or in any other country. People who hate will always find an excuse to hate no matter what country or what continent they are in.

I agree with Biscuit. There is no immediate solution and it is a global problem.
                            Last edited by Salinator; 08 Dec 07, 00:01.
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

But I am still submitting that:

On "a" If it's worth working towards then I think somewhere in our future it will be solved as a problem, not to say some racists will still exist, but I think the problem is surmountable.

On "b" I IMHO think that the perception of America's Race Problems is being driven by it's own music and media Industries. The Message the world picks up in the sound and video bites that pass as reality scream how the whites are opposing this and that group.

The good news is getting lost unless you click or read further. As well, solutions to solving the problems get buried in the noise as well. In a large part the solutions lie in the eradication of poverty and ensuring kids get a real education.........and no we do not put enough money and effort into this at all. My country is just as guilty of this as any.

To put it into perspective; Crime tends to become a countryís Social Safety Net. If there is no work or other way to feed yourself and your family then those who have will become victims one way or another. Now that is not to say that some people are just criminals no matter what.

I know of many crimes committed just to feed the desperate. In one place robbers were breaking into homes and making the owners to cook meals to go at knifepoint, they got the food, thanked and apologized to the victims and left with the food only. You canít really expect people to give up if there is something to be had, especially if itís waved in their faces????
                              Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                              Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                              David Bowie

Comment

• Originally posted by salinator View Post
                                I agree with Biscuit. There is no immediate solution and it is a global problem.
                                Totally Sal. I never accused the US of anything I don't accuse Australia of also.
                                There's nothing like a bit of 'We've got the bombs' as a comeback I note.
                                The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                                Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X