Is the US a RACIST country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PzKfwBob View Post
    The US is not a Racist Country, but it does have racial problems like most countries with a mix of races living within it' s borders......I find the Americans seem hung up on labeling, instead of just being an American they seem to what to be a hyphenated American. The other thing that I know most Americans well disagree with, is your freedom of speech laws allow an awful lot hatred (from all sides) to spewed out publicly which doesn't help with peace between the races. IMHO
    Ah, but without those free speech laws how would we be able to know who's racist and who's not? Yes it's a double-edged sword, but without those laws and with our past history, we would never be at the point we are now. Race relations are better in the US now than at any time in it's past. Better to know what the racists are saying and to counter the arguments they put forth than allow it to fester underneath the surface.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      Less.

No.

We generally do.

What he said.

ecce lobo

Comment

You can't judge any race , any nation by its color or anything , I also think you can not judge any nation of beeing racist or anything , because only evil people are bad , they are racist and evil people exist everywhere not only in 1 nation but by dad always said there are only two kind of people , there are good and there are bad people , there is nothing in betwen.

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
          Wow...just...wow.

Culturally xenophobic? I'm willing to bet we have a great deal more cultural integration and acceptance than Australia. We have more whites wearing baggy pants, their hats sideways, listening to rap than you have playing the didgeridoo and hunting with a boomerang.

American culture is NOTHING if not a hodgepodge of all of the cultures represented. There are, as with any country, pockets of the population where this isn't true, but you are talking about a country as a whole.

Australia essentially has two cultures to deal with, White Prisoners and Native Australians...and you guys still have trouble integrating those two cultures. Try it with over one hundred different cultures and variations of each of those.

You are absolutely, 100% wrong in your characterization.
          You're knowledge of what Australia is really like is a little 'behind the times'. Australia has over 150 cultures to deal with so is essentially no different from the US in that regard.
          To answer the question posed originally, yes I think the US is a racist country...there's no KKK (and its associated history) here. Having said that, I also think Australia is equally racist. What stands out to me is that the racism is cleverly disguised and more insidious. These days, Australian racism goes under the guise of 'National Security'.
          While I have no doubt at all that millions of white Americans and Australians hate the idea of race being an issue in anything...I have known and currently know people that are racist...they hide it behind jokes and 'humour'. It isn't funny.
          In my experience, racism is a symptom of ignorance and nothing more. As Marge Simpson pointed out, 'I'm not racist...I just fear the unfamiliar'. I will point out myself that I've been the victim of racist name calling in the past. It doesn't help.
          Don't you think your first sentence above bears out Ivan Rapkinov's assertion about an American superiority complex? It sounds a little 'We're better than you anyway' to me.
          The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
          Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
            You're knowledge of what Australia is really like is a little 'behind the times'. Australia has over 150 cultures to deal with so is essentially no different from the US in that regard.
            To answer the question posed originally, yes I think the US is a racist country...there's no KKK (and its associated history) here. Having said that, I also think Australia is equally racist. What stands out to me is that the racism is cleverly disguised and more insidious. These days, Australian racism goes under the guise of 'National Security'.
            While I have no doubt at all that millions of white Americans and Australians hate the idea of race being an issue in anything...I have known and currently know people that are racist...they hide it behind jokes and 'humour'. It isn't funny.
            In my experience, racism is a symptom of ignorance and nothing more. As Marge Simpson pointed out, 'I'm not racist...I just fear the unfamiliar'. I will point out myself that I've been the victim of racist name calling in the past. It doesn't help.
            Don't you think your first sentence above bears out Ivan Rapkinov's assertion about an American superiority complex? It sounds a little 'We're better than you anyway' to me.
            Please go back and read my follow-on post for some context.

Thanks.

Comment

Australia essentially has two cultures to deal with, White Prisoners and Native Australians...and you guys still have trouble integrating those two cultures. Try it with over one hundred different cultures and variations of each of those.
              As you can see in the document available to download here, Australia is a highly multicultrual society with 250+ ethnic/national groups ranging from Achenese to Zulu. To suggest there are just two cultures is absurd....even in the wider scheme of things, Aborigines are dwarfed by groups such as the Chinese, Greeks, Indians and Italians and on par with small ethnic groups such as the Croats and Lebanese.

You are absolutely, 100% wrong in your characterization.
              Oh the irony. Yeah, you were trying to make a point - but I think the example missed the mark.
              Last edited by thejester; 04 Dec 07, 18:09.
              Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                Is the US more or less racist than most European Countries?
                About the same. It's talked a lot about how whites in the Northern US supported civil rights in the 60s, until blacks started moving into their suburbs and they went 'THIS ISN'T WHAT WE WANTED'. I think that is applicable to groups across the world, and you get the impression it's happening in Europe just as much as the US.

Are Whites more racist than Blacks or other groups of Americans?
                In terms of simply definign yourself by race...maybe less? Few whites seem to openly go around identifying themselves as white, whereas being 'black' seems more central to the identity of some groups.

Do we have dbl standards on race in America?
                Doesn't everyone?
                Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

I just wanted you to see that your opinion, while certainly yours, isn't based on reality and was very simplistic, just like my purposely-transparent characterization of your country.

My experience, as an American who has spent 6 years living outside of my country, is exactly the opposite. Although there are exceptions, most Americans I know who have spent time outside of America NOT as tourists, but stationed overseas, were anxious to experience different cultures and blended-in quite well.

Of course, you have some of the younger ones who act the fool, but for the most part, they made many friends in the local population, and endeavored a cultural exchange rather than a cultural isolationist attitude.

I understand now what you were trying to say, but I submit to you that the US culture really has its roots in ALL cultures.

This makes ours the best!
                  Okay. I take your point but again, your last sentence confirms the 'superiority complex' issue doesn't it? How is any culture 'the best'? Certainly, our culture here is the best for me but I can't speak for anybody else eh?
                  The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                  Sideshow Bob.

Comment

In terms of simply definign yourself by race...maybe less? Few whites seem to openly go around identifying themselves as white, whereas being 'black' seems more central to the identity of some groups.

apt and interesting point there Jester me bucko and i wonder if that isnt do more to the negative connotations associated (historically) with white supramecist types/idijits....and a concerted effort to go the other direction/extreme with PCness, a penchant for globalization, muti-culturalism etc.....

best
                    CV

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov View Post
                      I think they have a superiority complex (over other cultures) and a majority are culturally xenophobic, but not racist.
                      Culturally xenophobic?

I would debate that one. Americans are actually very multi-cultural. We have business standards and expect our employees to speak English and while we welcome immigrants, we do expect them to immigrate legally but that doesn't constitute xenophobia.

Actually America is very multi-cultural, moreso than most countries which is one reason we have so many immigrants. They know their customs are welcome and that they will be judged by their work ethic instead of race.

If you want to test American xenophobia, look no further than Columbia, MO. A college town with high ethnic diversity, it has all sorts of local businesses providing foreign food and memorabillia, and "white guys" often shop there more often than the target ethnic group.

Schools here embrace multi-culturalism. Native Americans are always welcome to share their heritage with the schoolkids and any other culture within driving distance of the school tends to get the same privelege. At the local middle school here in Centralia each grade is decorating for Christmas using the styles of different countries.

Oh, and we don't have a superiority complex, we have a complex superiority!
                      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                        Historically America must be considered to be more racist than most Western European countries.
                        Is it just me, or is a peeing contest starting in Europe with another "how we are superior to the US" debate? The plain and simple truth is that racism is an afterthought. Yeah, it was bad in the '60s but the question was in the present tense not past. And if we're going to go dragging up past history then there ain't nobody here with clean hands, Europe included. Heck, with Europe even skin color wasn't enough, some white people were persecuted for having different ethnic white origins (Saxons ring a bell - the Normans weren't too kind to them).

We should avoid dragging up dead past offenses because every nation has misbehaved at one point or another so all you get is the peeing contest. Personally I find harping on the past foolish. The Romans perseucted my Christian ancestors and conquered the land of my Celtic ancestors, you don't see me dumping on Italy for it.
                        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Interesting. Another bunch of 'we're so multi-cultural' as if you're the only ones. Have you even read any of the posts by other Aussies? Or doesn't our multi-culturalism count?
                          Nobody dumps on the Romans sure but with 'strange fruit' and the KKK still in living memory it remains an issue. I wonder what any African American members have to say on this issue.
                          When asked for opinions, you get them. If you don't like them, that isn't really the problem of the rest of the world. Americans refuse to listen to what the world tells them...what do we care? Keep in mind while answering this post that I haven't accused the US of anything that I don't also despise about my own country. The US might do well to listen for once rather than thinking it's always in the position to do the telling. It's a specifically 'American' notion that the USA is the 'kindly, paternal figure'. That's your bag. The rest of us aren't buying it frankly. You're educated differently and your society is different. With African Americans so over represented in the prison system and especially on death row there and aboriginal Australians over represented in our prisons here we have no right to feel superior, or to my mind, even properly civilized. The ideas of 'biggest, best, most righteous' or whatever is what makes the rest of us view you with suspicion and nervousness. It's SO obvious. When you can reduce your gun deaths to under 10,000 each year and abolish the death penalty for a start...I might begin paying it some attention. You asked.
                          Last edited by Geek44; 04 Dec 07, 19:59.
                          Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            Ah, but without those free speech laws how would we be able to know who's racist and who's not? Yes it's a double-edged sword, but without those laws and with our past history, we would never be at the point we are now. Race relations are better in the US now than at any time in it's past. Better to know what the racists are saying and to counter the arguments they put forth than allow it to fester underneath the surface.
                            I don't agree, hate groups thrive because they are free to spout their filth and are able to recruit the weak minded, just plane stupid and all manner of malcontents. Your forefathers saw what these groups did in Germany, yet your laws still allow freakin' Nazis, other assorted (un)masked dangerous people march down the street preaching hate your neighbors. Where's the freedom when the object of their hate must live in fear of these dorks.

Canada's not perfect insofar as racism goes but at least when these vermin stick their noses out of holes and start handing out flyers at schools or set up Websites we can shut them down. As it should be!
                            Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                            Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                            David Bowie

Comment

I have no first hand experience outside the US. But I think that racism varies from place to place here. Friends have told me that they were treated better sometimes in a "redneck town" then in a "diverse" neighborhood.

In the end, I think it comes down to the people, not race or country.
                              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                                Is the US more or less racist than most European Countries?

No, but i think that generally the US is more IGNORANT of race than most other countries.

Are Whites more racist than Blacks or other groups of Americans?

No, but all American ethnic groups are equally capable of racism in certain circumstances.

Do we have dbl standards on race in America?

No. I feel the US has very few standards on race.

Gaz
                                Ha! Ha! Ha! That's funny.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X