Is the US a RACIST country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the US a RACIST country?

Is the US more or less racist than most European Countries?

Are Whites more racist than Blacks or other groups of Americans?

Do we have dbl standards on race in America?

HP
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post

HP
    I've found that the magority of my close black friends have some of the most racial outlooks, but it could just be that they're more outspoken then the average guy. We all know about the strereo-types thrown around in US, but I don't know anything about euro-racial stereotyping other than I hear the Puerto Ricans are like inner-city blacks and immigrant mexicans combined....

Check out this ACG Golden Oldie on Racial Tension:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=51098
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 04 Dec 07, 05:03.
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

HP
      On the first, I don't know because I don't have enough experience living in Europe.

I doubt if any group is more racist than another. We are all on too much common ground to vary that much in attitudes. I think that who the racism may be directed at can vary based on the particular circumstances where you live. For example I can see individuals living near the US/Mexico border as being more likely to demonstrate racist attitudes towards Hispanics.

On the double standards I say yes, but the experiences and observations of my life make me certain that they are diminishing with time.
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

On the double standards I say yes, but the experiences and observations of my life make me certain that they are diminishing with time.
        While I tend to agree in general but in many ways we , as a nation, seem to have become stagnate. Maybe I was used to the early days of desegregation?

Until 54 we had separated High Schools in my hometown, in 63 our Class President was Black, in 68 I ran into racial hatred in a major American City for the 1st time and was socked. As noted much plays on location. Those on the southern border might be less keen on Mexicans and other SA/CA peoples. Go into the Northern Plains and you can find dislike for the Native Americans.

In general, I think American Blacks are more racist than whites. Is Oprah supporting Obama because of his politics or his color?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I don't think americans are racist.

I think they have a superiority complex (over other cultures) and a majority are culturally xenophobic, but not racist.

No more so than any other caucasian-dominant country.
          Now listening too;
          - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Given it’s ethnic diversity I would not consider America racist.
            Are thee racist Americans? Yes, but that’s inevitable.
            Is America more racist than Europe? It was 40 years ago but I don’t think it is now. It’s a very general question; parts of America are more racist than parts of Europe and vice-versa. I do think that America is much more conservative than most of Europe and conservative societies tend to be more intolerant of those they perceive as different but that’s a different issue.

Are there double standards on race in America? Yes there are, just as there are everywhere else.
            "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
            validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Less.

Originally posted by Half Pint
              No.

Originally posted by Half Pint

HP
              We generally do.
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

"is the US a RACIST country?"

No. Next question please.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov View Post
                  I don't think americans are racist.

I think they have a superiority complex (over other cultures) and a majority are culturally xenophobic, but not racist.

No more so than any other caucasian-dominant country.
                  Wow...just...wow.

Culturally xenophobic? I'm willing to bet we have a great deal more cultural integration and acceptance than Australia. We have more whites wearing baggy pants, their hats sideways, listening to rap than you have playing the didgeridoo and hunting with a boomerang.

American culture is NOTHING if not a hodgepodge of all of the cultures represented. There are, as with any country, pockets of the population where this isn't true, but you are talking about a country as a whole.

Australia essentially has two cultures to deal with, White Prisoners and Native Australians...and you guys still have trouble integrating those two cultures. Try it with over one hundred different cultures and variations of each of those.

You are absolutely, 100% wrong in your characterization.

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
                    Wow...just...wow.

Culturally xenophobic? I'm willing to bet we have a great deal more cultural integration and acceptance than Australia. We have more whites wearing baggy pants, their hats sideways, listening to rap than you have playing the didgeridoo and hunting with a boomerang.

American culture is NOTHING if not a hodgepodge of all of the cultures represented. There are, as with any country, pockets of the population where this isn't true, but you are talking about a country as a whole.

Australia essentially has two cultures to deal with, White Prisoners and Native Australians...and you guys still have trouble integrating those two cultures. Try it with over one hundred different cultures and variations of each of those.

You are absolutely, 100% wrong in your characterization.
                    By "culturally xenophobic" (and I knew that term would come back to bite me), the majority of Americans I've dealt both online and in the real world tend to be very wary of non-American culture, outside of the US. Maybe xenophobic is too strong (and antagonistic) a term. The point I'm trying to get across is more to do with the perceived superiority Americans have for their own culture, and how that causes them to interact with other cultures outside the US. Maybe "culturally closed" is more accurate.

By contrast, most european countries are quite willing to embrace different cultures - which was what the thread was asking.

And you obviously have no idea about Australian culture if you think Convicts and Aborigines are the two prevalent identities

It's Holden vs Ford, baby
                    Now listening too;
                    - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

By "culturally xenophobic" (and I knew that term would come back to bite me), the majority of Americans I've dealt both online and in the real world tend to be very wary of non-American culture, outside of the US. Maybe xenophobic is too strong (and antagonistic) a term. The point I'm trying to get across is more to do with the perceived superiority Americans have for their own culture, and how that causes them to interact with other cultures outside the US. Maybe "culturally closed" is more accurate.

By contrast, most european countries are quite willing to embrace different cultures - which was what the thread was asking.

And you obviously have no idea about Australian culture if you think Convicts and Aborigines are the two prevalent identities

It's Holden vs Ford, baby
                      I just wanted you to see that your opinion, while certainly yours, isn't based on reality and was very simplistic, just like my purposely-transparent characterization of your country.

My experience, as an American who has spent 6 years living outside of my country, is exactly the opposite. Although there are exceptions, most Americans I know who have spent time outside of America NOT as tourists, but stationed overseas, were anxious to experience different cultures and blended-in quite well.

Of course, you have some of the younger ones who act the fool, but for the most part, they made many friends in the local population, and endeavored a cultural exchange rather than a cultural isolationist attitude.

I understand now what you were trying to say, but I submit to you that the US culture really has its roots in ALL cultures.

This makes ours the best!

Comment

Bill Murray said it best in the movie Stripes...

"We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts."

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

HP
                          Less.

No.

Yes.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

It's a dificult question to answer. But there's racism everywhere in every country. The US was late though on equal rights but that's a thing in the past. France have quite a lot of racism towards people from muslim countrys (I've heard that from a Friend who's a Frenchman with Sicilian herritage), but if they for example is worse of than other countrys I can't tell as I don't know. There exist racism here in Sweden too. But a sick thing is that it's been considered political incorrect to use the flag on special occasions such as school graduations. Silly as most of the imigrants don't see anything strange with it. But in our bigger citys there's been a lot of segregration that have led to imigrants n' refugees bond together in their suburbs n' in some cases shun Swedish cultures, there's also a high unemployment among those groups that have led to gangs roamin' the streets, those gangs is by far more racistic than the average n' turn their racism towards the Swedes n' in doin' that creates racism among the Swedes.

So, I don't think that today's USA is more racistic than other countrys but there sure have to be racism in USA today as in other countrys.
                            The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
                            ----
                            We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

I don't think America is any more racist than European countries, though my experience is limited. On an individual level some people are just more honest about their racism. I do think that minorities are given a wider berth in repsect to a double standard regarding racism. On all sides, some people are looking so hard to cry racism that they mistake a person's pride in their ancestry for racism.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X