No announcement yet.

Rant: Want to be a Teacher? Come to Oz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant: Want to be a Teacher? Come to Oz.

Now, let me start out by saying that I think teaching is an important career in the scheme of things. I don't begrudge teachers their pay rises and so forth, and my home state is hurting for teachers that massive incentives are being offered to take up the teaching profession, and retaining the current ones we have.

but the latest effort by the state govt is just out of proportion:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...te=southwestwa

The Teacher Of The Year in Western Australia has been awarded $100,000 in prize money.
    Now, my mother is a social worker for the same govt and, and has been Social Worker of the Year more than once, and she's never got a cash prize. The Nurse of the Year gets A$3000. The Police Officer of the Year gets a plaque, a dinner and a A$1000 cheque from the Police and Nurses Credit Union (not the govt).

As well as the big prise winner, the two runner-ups each got A$25,000, and 100 others got A$1000 each. Now, the state is desperate for teachers, but it's also desperate for nurses and police officers, both of which I consider more urgent than teachers. (Some suburbs in the city have been informed there's not enough officers to guarantee a response over the Xmas period).

This also on top of other teacher incentives such as free laptops, huge pay rises, and their university degree paid for by the government. Where's the nurses degree's being paid for? Where's the incentive to retain officers who can get three times the money for half the work doing mine security? To give you an idea, after the current round of pay increases, a first year Police Constable will earn about A$50k + allowances. The current figures they're bandying about for teachers are approaching the A$80k-90k range for new teachers in rural areas.

I don't work for the state govt, rather the federal, but if I did I'd feel so insulted by this.

But as an aside - want to be a teacher? Come to Oz! More money than a warzone! (literally, I got paid less risking my life visiting hotzones...)
    Now listening too;
    - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Actually, I agree. The last thing teachers should do is bitch about the money they make, especially those leftist liberal college professor types.

Comment

Ivan! IF you want to feel insulted go join the military. Slightly of topic but much closer to my heart

HP
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X