If German, French (or) Italian Was My Native Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If German, French (or) Italian Was My Native Language

And English was not a language that I could Read, Write & Speak very well, would I be chastised for speaking my native language or asked to leave these forums due to my lack of knowledge of the english language?

Would I be able to speak my native langauge and would someone else here be able to translate what I have said with some clarity in order to get my point across?

That being said, wouldn't it make more sense for some posters currently here who are unable to speak, read & write the English language properly to speak in their native tongues?

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
    And English was not a language that I could Read, Write & Speak very well, would I be chastised for speaking my native language or asked to leave these forums due to my lack of knowledge of the english language?

Would I be able to speak my native langauge and would someone else here be able to translate what I have said with some clarity in order to get my point across?

That being said, wouldn't it make more sense for some posters currently here who are unable to speak, read & write the English language properly to speak in their native tongues?
    Websites such as...

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

... mean that non English speaking members could if they wished post threads
    and replies in their native tongue, but which also included an English translation.

Problem solved!

Gaz

Comment

Well as this forum is an English speaking forum it's only natural that the discussion language is English. There's plenty of other forums out there in other languages if the English language is a problem. So Why not continue to use English here?
      The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
      ----
      We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
        Well as this forum is an English speaking forum it's only natural that the discussion language is English. There's plenty of other forums out there in other languages if the English language is a problem. So Why not continue to use English here?
        I already know that, and I think you missed my point entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
          Websites such as...

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

... mean that non English speaking members could if they wished post threads
          and replies in their native tongue, but which also included an English translation.

Problem solved!

Gaz
          Yes, problem solved, but only if the posters in question had the intelligence to do such a thing or were able to understand what you just wrote here & I would wager that they don't, so back to my original question.

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy
            There's plenty of other forums out there in other languages if the English language is a problem.
            But maybe those forums that speak those peoples native languages don't & or can't provide the information those people are looking for that the ACG Forums does provide & they insist on coming here & battle with our language instead.

Then what?

I remember I started a thread someplace in here where members were translating German Phrases and doing a pretty good job about it too & they actually enjoyed it while it lasted.

So it would be possible, right?

I mean, I don't think anybody here could translate Gaelic, and even if they could, what is the likelihood that someone here in the ACG Forums actually speaks Gaelic, because that is there Native Language?
            Last edited by Duke William; 02 Dec 07, 10:32.

Comment

Oh, the probaility of a Gaelic speaking ACG member isn't that slim. But the probability of a Gaelic speaking member who can/want put down the effort to translate a larger body of text is by far slimmer.
              The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
              ----
              We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

you mean like......Texan ??????

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
                  you mean like......Texan ??????
                  Texan is not a langauge, being Texan is an Honor everyone should be able to experience just once.

Comment

Yes, problem solved, but only if the posters in question had the intelligence to do such a thing or were able to understand what you just wrote here & I would wager that they don't, so back to my original question.
                    That's pretty condescending Duke. We have some posters here who really struggle with English and do a great job of making themselves know.

I'm talking about the legitimate, non-English speaking members, who are very intelligent.

Want to find out how tough it could be? Why don't you try posting for a week in French and French only, see how tough it can be.
                    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
                    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Having spoken only Bulgarian for a few months, I can warn you the headaches will go away only after you stop trying to translate everything simultaneously and just speak the language.

I'm all for people of other languages posting when they don't know the forum language. What annoys me is when people like a certain Italian teenager keeps putting letters in words that don't belong there, despite having many examples of the English language to improve oneself.

Comment

Just my opinion:

These forums are & have always been - generally - conducted in English. Though the idea of forums conducted in any language desired by the user is an interesting one, most every forum where no designated language(s) was/were specified, for general exchange within, usually ends up becoming a joke in several languages.

By that, I mean... people/various groups conducting discussions about other people/various groups in a fashion that is not conducive to any or all that are users of said site even having a clue as to whether they were a subject or even a target of others communicating in languages foreign to them. In the absence of a multi-lingual function inherent in any given website - whereby a user can chose which language in which to participate as a translated function of the given website itself,- it is all & well to point out such optional off-site translators as BabelFish or other such options, but how many folks are going to translate any or every thread which may or may not be of interest to them, much less to know if they might even be a subject or target of said threads? In practical effect... a website can potentially become a huge morass of confusion to most that will visit - ultimately leading to a loss or lack of interest in all a website may have to offer.

Considering what I have seen in the past, I truly don't think anybody would seriously like to go to a linguistic forum free for all... not to even mention the magnitude of Staff oversight/moderation/linguistic ability a multilingual forum would impose.

Nah... I could be wrong, but I don't think we're going there any time soon, Duke!

Last edited by Admiral; 02 Dec 07, 12:18. Reason: Clarity
                        On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

This is an English speaking forum, and should be kept like that. If you want to post in another language, join a forum that use that language.

We come here to learn. I've learnt a lot here, and I have improved my English in a way I would never imagine. I cannot thank enough this forum for that.

I guess non-native English speaking members post in different forums in different languages. They respect those forums rules and language. This forum is not different.

If I quote something in another language, I use Google to translate the text. Fast, simple and fair.

Hasta luego
                          Echo de menos mi isla.

Comment

I would converse with you in French or Japanese, but my skill in those languages is not up to historical or techical terms. I could order you water and sushi.

I could swear at you in Mandarin or say I was drunk in Russian.
                            TTFN

Comment

Originally posted by cyberia View Post
                              That's pretty condescending Duke. We have some posters here who really struggle with English and do a great job of making themselves know.

I'm talking about the legitimate, non-English speaking members, who are very intelligent.

Want to find out how tough it could be? Why don't you try posting for a week in French and French only, see how tough it can be.
                              But My primary language is not French, nor is my secondary language Italian & my third language Spanish, with English being something I have to speak if no one speaks all those other languages and then I am not sure if anyone would understand me speaking english, because it is a language that is actually foreign to me.

Mind you, that was an example.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X