Redesigning the Union Jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redesigning the Union Jack?

Came across this article when looking at some anti-Napoleon thing; apparently some people want the flag changed to represent the Welshhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...-mostviewedbox

Check out a few of the designs, some are pretty funny
    And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
    Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
    Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
    Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

What about Northern Ireland? Shouldn't there be a little Irish in there too? Orange I think?
    Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
    If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
      What about Northern Ireland? Shouldn't there be a little Irish in there too? Orange I think?
      Already included
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F...Union_Jack.svg

And if you want to be picky, Northern Ireland uses the following flag, which looks allot like the St Georges cross.

What many people fail to realise is that the Welsh are included in the flag. It's a red dragon on a red background.
      Winnie says
      ---------------------------------
      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
      Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Tankboy View Post
        Came across this article when looking at some anti-Napoleon thing; apparently some people want the flag changed to represent the Welshhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...-mostviewedbox

Check out a few of the designs, some are pretty funny
        I don't think the Welsh would like that, St George slaying their dragon.
        The following from wiki.
        "Many legends are associated with the Welsh dragon. The most famous is the prophecy of Myrddin (or Merlin) of a long fight between a red dragon and a white dragon. According to the prophecy, the white dragon would at first dominate but eventually the red dragon would win, this eventual victory and recapturing of Lloegr would be, according to Welsh legend, brought about by Y Mab Darogan. This is believed to represent the conflict in the 5th and 6th centuries between the British Celts (who later became the Welsh) and the invading Saxons.

The Welsh Flag is the only flag of the constituent countries of the UK not to be used in the Union Flag. Wales had no explicit recognition in the flag because Wales had been annexed by Edward I of England in 1282 and, since the Laws in Wales Acts 1535–1542, was considered to be a part of the Kingdom of England. There have since been proposals to include the Dragon or the flag of Saint David (itself a cross) on the Union Flag, but these have never met with much support".
        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

I agree; most of them are a joke like this one:
          And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
          Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
          Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
          Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

Rule Britannistan !

" Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

Apparently Japanese people don't know geography as in the shows setting, Louise is from its France-equivalent.

And because its awesome:
              Last edited by the_redstar_swl; 02 Dec 07, 15:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Lokinar View Post
                Rule Britannistan !

Given the problems that they are having with their massively growing Arab population, I would that one nails it.
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                  Given the problems that they are having with their massively growing Arab population, I would that one nails it.
                  Sorry must have missed those news bulletins, what problems are these?
                  Winnie says
                  "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                  Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                    Sorry must have missed those news bulletins, what problems are these?
                    Substituting British Common Law with Sharia Law to start with.

Comment

Again I missed that one in the stature books. You're news source has been listening to the BNP again hasn't it?
                      Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                      Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                        Again I missed that one in the stature books. You're news source has been listening to the BNP again hasn't it?
                        Nope, the Drudge Report.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                          Nope, the Drudge Report.
                          Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Drudge Report just a site that links to news articles posted by other agencies? Like Fark but with less "Oh hey guys, I found a funny link."

Comment

So the legitimate news source should be easy to find and provide...
                            Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                            Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by the_redstar_swl View Post
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Drudge Report just a site that links to news articles posted by other agencies? Like Fark but with less "Oh hey guys, I found a funny link."
                              Not necessarily. Drudge still breaks many important stories by himself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X