Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name the place?

Just a bit of fun...

Members should choose a well known place, either a site, building or FAMOUS part of a building. Then give just THREE clues to help other members guess its identity. In case an 'obscure' well known place comes up, members should feel free to post their own places as they wish, without waiting for answers.

First member to identify FIVE places is the winner!

For balance, every second place a member chooses cant be from their own country.

I'll start with two Easy places...

First Place...

1/... It was built in London over 700 years ago in a defensive context.

2/... Its now famous name has evolved over the last 400 years though both its names are now redundent through lack of use.

3/... You only used this place ONCE in a lifetime!

Where is this place?

Second Place...

1/... This place in the USA was originally SIX, but is better known for Four.

2/... It took 14 years to build, even though it was already there!.

3/... To find its movie appearance, you go up a bit, then up a bit more, then to the left!

Where is this place?

Best of luck and have fun!

Gaz

1st place - Tower of London?

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post

Dr. S.
      Getting warm Doc!

Comment

Two more!...

First Place...

1/... Originally this French place honoured St. Antony, then became simply 232, while today you have to shout to get heard there!

2/... On its most famous day it had but a handful of residents, though many other people wanted to get in!

3/... One of its most famous residents REALLY liked hurting people!

Where is this place?

Second Place...

1/... This American place now has TWO, but originally only had ONE.

2/... The original became famous during WW2, not because of the war, but because it lasted just four months!

3/... TUBBY had good cause to regret the originals fame!

Where is this place?

Have fun!

Gaz

Comment

Final two for tonight... and may i say i'm surprised our cousin members havent got the American ones yet, so i'll give them 2 more!

First Place...

1/... This American place has no REAL connection to the USA, even though Americans can see it during both the day and at night!

2/... Unlike many similar places, this one prefers to go outwards rather than upwards and its name when translated describes this!

3/... Its the home of a God, but not of a well known Brazilian one!

Where is this place?

Second Place...

1/... This American place has existed for around 130 years.

2/... Originally it traded mostly in paper, whilst today its mainly carbon!

3/... A crazy girl with a cat just loved this place!

Where is this place?

Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post

Dr. S.

Not the Tower but the Fortress type building in the middle. Henry the VIII etc, whats the blooy name

HP
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
              Not the Tower but the Fortress type building in the middle. Henry the VIII etc, whats the blooy name

HP
              Just to keep my old mates blood pressure at a reasonable level, i'll explain the clues and the answer to this question!

The Answer...

Traitors Gate

The clues...

1/... Built over... defensive context

Self explainatory!

2/... Originally it was the 'Water Gate' used for boats to enter the 'Tower'. From around the 1600's its been known as Traitors Gate, because traitors were brought to the tower by water along the Thames to prevent any escapes. As the gate is now land locked and traitors no longer go through it, both names are redundant!

3/... In very many cases, those who entered the tower through Traitors gate never left it alive... once in a lifetime use!

Now you all hopefully get the gist of it... lets see those American places identified!

Have fun old mate!

Gaz

Comment

Got to log off for a couple of hours...

As my questions seem to have a few members stumped, heres ANOTHER clue!... i don't know... i thought the vast majority of our members were DAMN clever...

Extra Clue...

3/... A crazy girl with a cat just loved this place! = think Audrey Hepburn!

Talk about giving it away too easily!

regards

Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                  Just a bit of fun...
                  Second Place...

1/... This place in the USA was originally SIX, but is better known for Four.

2/... It took 14 years to build, even though it was already there!.

3/... To find its movie appearance, you go up a bit, then up a bit more, then to the left!

Where is this place?
                  Gaz
                  Mount Rushmore
                  Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Originally posted by Arkane View Post
                    Mount Rushmore
                    Well done ARKANE!

You've earned One Point

Feel free to post you're own questions. I'll try to post a few more tomorrow if members are interested (Its 2.40AM here and i need to sleep)

regards

Gaz

Comment

Two more!...

First Place...

1/... Originally this French place honoured St. Antony, then became simply 232, while today you have to shout to get heard there!

2/... On its most famous day it had but a handful of residents, though many other people wanted to get in!

Where is this place?
                      In France...

(The Bastille)
                      Every 10 years a great man.
                      Who paid the bill?

Comment

Two more!...

First Place...

Where is this place?
                        I had not considered The Bastille before reading the response that the poster left above mine, but I was thinking along the lines of someone like The Marquis de Sade

Comment

Originally posted by Zemlekop View Post
                          In France...

(The Bastille)
                          You beat me to it! Good job!
                          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Clue 3 was a bit of a giveaway.
                            I mean everybody knows De Sade was in the Bastille right?..Right?
                            It's not weird to know that, is it?
                            Every 10 years a great man.
                            Who paid the bill?

Comment

Originally posted by Zemlekop View Post
                              Clue 3 was a bit of a giveaway.
                              I mean everybody knows De Sade was in the Bastille right?..Right?
                              It's not weird to know that, is it?
                              Not a problem. I can't think of anyone so disgusting, degenerate or "low-lifed" who would deliberately choose to humiliate and beat a woman or use her as a doormat or a sex slave. At least, no sane, competant, well adjusted, person would.
                              Last edited by johnbryan; 28 Nov 07, 23:01.
                              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X