These days you don't have to be as old to say When I Was Your Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These days you don't have to be as old to say When I Was Your Age

I wouldn't agree with the sentiment that most kids don't know what a record player is. Most would know one if they saw it even if they had never seen one in person previously.

But I do know some obscure technological gadgets they wouldn't be aware of.

We were cleaning out my Great Uncle's house as he is moving. He came from a family that didn't throw ANYTHING away. Depression era people, very practical. I came across a 1982 electronics catalogue. Flipping through it I was amused to find an add for a Betamax Cassette Player.

How many here too young to remember the '80s know what that is? I tried the question on the youth group. None, not even the resident techno-geek had a clue.

I did some websurfing and found that Betamax is not dead, though. There are a number of fan sites and some guys even asserting Betamax is superior to VCR.

I can remember going to the rental stores and seeing Betamax and VHS versions on the rack, and going through my parents video collection and frequently seeing two cassettes for one recorded movie! Those things didn't record as long as VHS. I always felt they had crummy tracking too.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

And I bet you never heard of the V2000 format by Philips and Grundig available only in Europe from 1979 to 1988 and that could be recorded on both sides! Got killed by VHS as well.

Comment

Nobody ever throws anything away. I still have a Commodore-64 computer, and a TRS-80 Model I. People still have 8-track tape players and laserdisk players... heck, our CD changer at home has dual cassette decks.
      "I am not an atomic playboy."
      Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
        Nobody ever throws anything away. I still have a Commodore-64 computer, and a TRS-80 Model I. People still have 8-track tape players and laserdisk players... heck, our CD changer at home has dual cassette decks.
        Still got my old Vectrex console packed away somewhere

Comment

BRIO wooden toy trains, anyone?

Now that was a good time!

DoD might still have a large box full of them up in his attic.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post

You can still find them in most all toy and department stores, here.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post

Only fun if they were painted with lead paint.~
              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                You can still find them in most all toy and department stores, here.
                Yeah, but now they come with lights and electronics.

Man, I used to enjoy the simplicity of the old wooden ones. Me and my brother could spend hours building railroads and bridges (using whatever was handy to prop them up) before eventually giving in and destroying them in a godzilla like fashion.

Ahhh. . .

*Shuffle shuffle* Nope, I don't see them up here, DoD. Are you sure you still have them?

Comment

Wouldja' Believe?????

I still got my old Hot Wheels Race Track that was made from rubber that you laid out on the floor and you could loop around to make an over & under circle for your cars to go through.

And does anybody remember the STP Cars with the rip cords?

Comment

Try televisions without remotes.

How about radios without FM.

Large Tonka trucks made out of STEEL damn it, and without soft rounded over features and not one iota of use of electricity battery or led.

Telephones with rotary dialers that came in two options, on a table or on the wall. And did nothing other than dial a number, no other functionality at all.

Watches that used hands, and did nothing other than tell the time and required that you wind it, or it eventually stopped.

Homes that were lucky to have the above, and not much of anything else, because it hadn't been invented yet

Mom used a washing machine that had a ringer function. Because there was no such thing as a dryer. Clothes dried outside in the wind while tied to a line.

Yep I enjoy being older than most technology, so I can remember what it was like BEFORE it arrived.

I think it's funny I am almost older than all the fast food stores, and I think I even predate the "supermarket".
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
                      I still got my old Hot Wheels Race Track that was made from rubber that you laid out on the floor and you could loop around to make an over & under circle for your cars to go through.

And does anybody remember the STP Cars with the rip cords?
                      I had to get rid of my Hot Wheels Tracks, my mom kept trying to whip me with 'em. .

I remember the STP Cars too .
                      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

We had several BetaMax videos in the eighties n' it really was a superior system with better quality than VHS. But "Debbie does Dallas" was released on VHS n' that spelled the doom for BetaMax.
                        The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
                        ----
                        We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                          I had to get rid of my Hot Wheels Tracks, my mom kept trying to whip me with 'em. .

I remember the STP Cars too .
                          DOODE!!!!!!

Do you remember Stretch Armstrong?????

Or The Rock'em Sock'em Robots?

The Normal Non-Electronic Battleship Game with the little white pegs?

An Etcha-Sketch?

The Slinky?

The Slinky Dachsund?

Black & White TV's?

Chanells 1 - 13?

The Culmination of Chanells 7, 9, 21, 27, 33 & 39?

Those Old & THICK 78 Records?

The Victrola?

What about the old Electrified Bob Lilly Football Game with the little guys that would rumble around on the metal football field until they all either fell down or scored a touchdown?

Comment

Lots of stuff already taken, and I've seen all of it. But how about this, electric football with the players with the skinny bases? Skinny is about 1/4 of an inch?
                            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
                              We had several BetaMax videos in the eighties n' it really was a superior system with better quality than VHS. But "Debbie does Dallas" was released on VHS n' that spelled the doom for BetaMax.
                              I thought it was because of VHS' greater available playing time.

The original Beta Max casettes could only record about an hour.

And most movies are 1 hour 30 minutes. . .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X