Commonwealth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commonwealth?

Heres a question for EVERYONE, and i hope you'll take time to explain your point of view fully!

"Should the Commonwealth be dissolved and its current member nations relenquish all ties to the British Monarchy?"

The above presumes the UK will stay unchanged constitutionally.

Looking forward to your answers.

Gaz

Wich countries is still considered to be in the commonwealth?
    India got out after the war n' I think that even Australia got out after the war or was it just from British rule? How is it with Canada?
    The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
    ----
    We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

well, even with the completely mangled Referendum question, I still voted "Yes" for Oz to become a Republic.

We have more ties to the Us than we do the UK. Aussie citizens still have to get travel and work visas to live there, unless your grandparents were from England. The Queen is just a figurehead, and aside from one thing ever, the Governor General has just been ceremonial.

that said, I wouldn't remove the Union Jack from the flag. Too many australians have died fighting for that flag for it to ever be replaced.

About the only reason we remain in the Commonwealth is so we can completely dominate at the Commonwealth Games every four years...
      Now listening too;
      - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

the Singapore Declaration.[1] These include the promotion of democracy, human rights, good governance, the rule of law, individual liberty, egalitarianism, free trade, multilateralism, and world peace

and that with a Queen as the figurehead. Looking at the history of many African members then it hasn't been doing a very good job. Seems more like the UK trying to hold on to past glories of Empire. If that was something to find glorious I wonder what the natives would have thought??

HP
        Last edited by Half Pint John; 24 Nov 07, 08:48.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
          and that with a Queen as the figurehead. Looking at the history of many African members then it hasn't been doing a very good job. Seems more like the UK trying to hold on to past glories of Empire. If that was something to find glorious I wonder what the natives would have thought??
          I don't know - why don't you ask the population of Zimbabwe what they think. I'm pretty sure most of them would prefer a xenophobic racist dick like Ian Clark compared to a megalomaniacal dictator in Robert Mugabe. They might not have had the freedoms under Clark, but at least they had food.
          Now listening too;

Comment

In Canada the Queen is just an image on the money really.

The Governor General is a job with no real purpose (sort of like the Queen herself). It's a cozy job at best.

The connection with England hasn't really had much substance for years.

It's frankly not worth the effort to fuss over. The cost to run a referendum is likely not worth the cost to ask the question.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov View Post
              I don't know - why don't you ask the population of Zimbabwe what they think. I'm pretty sure most of them would prefer a xenophobic racist dick like Ian Clark compared to a megalomaniacal dictator in Robert Mugabe. They might not have had the freedoms under Clark, but at least they had food.

Either way both were Commonwealth members and I think you mean Smith, Ian Smith who declare Rhodesian Independence and left the Commonwealth.

HP

Comment

heh, I got the Ian part right. Damn Rhodesians
                Now listening too;

Comment

heh, I got the Ian part right. Damn Rhodesians
                  Even more impressive, you knew about it. I guess the schools in OZ aren't that bad after all.

HP

Comment

Ian Smith just passed away this week. All there was was one small bit on network news showing him in later life out directing his laborers at his farm in Zimbabwe. The Rhodesians realized to late the only way to survive politically was to be inclusive with their government and Armed Forces. To little to late. Sad really, Rhodesia was the bread basket of Africa exporting food to the rest of the continent. Now her people are starving to death and fleeing to other countries. Mugabe and his incompetent lieutenants have run the country into the ground. It will take generations for Zim to get back to any basic level of self sufficency.
                    Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
                    If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                      Ian Smith just passed away this week. All there was was one small bit on network news showing him in later life out directing his laborers at his farm in Zimbabwe. The Rhodesians realized to late the only way to survive politically was to be inclusive with their government and Armed Forces. To little to late. Sad really, Rhodesia was the bread basket of Africa exporting food to the rest of the continent. Now her people are starving to death and fleeing to other countries. Mugabe and his incompetent lieutenants have run the country into the ground. It will take generations for Zim to get back to any basic level of self sufficency.
                      That seems like a given. Unless he is followed by some more of the SOS. Strange..........why aren't we interested in removing these types of dictators.

HP

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                        "Should the Commonwealth be dissolved and its current member nations relenquish all ties to the British Monarchy?"
                        The Commonwealth in truth is now no more than a trade association, and the queen is a figurehead with no real power. When she dies the Commonwealth members will have the right to choose the next figurehead, its not certain Charles will replace her.
                        There are 53 members at the moment, including India, Canada, Australia, and South Africa.
                        In 1995 Mozambique was allowed to join, even though she has no historical connection to the British empire

The above presumes the UK will stay unchanged constitutionally.
                        The consititution of the UK has no bearing on the Commonwealth, so the UK could become a republic, and still remain a member.

Comment

Strange..........why aren't we interested in removing these types of dictators.

HP
                          Go on then. I'll mention it.......oil

They haven't got any, so they aren't worth bothering with

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
                            Go on then. I'll mention it.......oil

They haven't got any, so they aren't worth bothering with

WOW REALLY! I would never have thought that.

HP

Comment

WOW REALLY! I would never have thought that.

HP
                              That's because you are just too much of a nice guy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X