Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Navy refused entry into Chinese port.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Navy refused entry into Chinese port.

This is not going to help relations.

http://www.charter.net/news/news_rea...86649&feedid=7

CD
    "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Heard about this on the news last night. I wonder if perhaps some local Party official in Hong Kong is playing at being hardline and is being overruled by his Party bosses in Beijing? Or perhaps the Beijing leaders are just playing games with us to see how much the U.S. will take? Either way it is bad for relations and the Chinese know it. I feel sorry for all those family members who spent all that money to fly to China and got snubbed. International power politics, ain't it grand.
    Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
    If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
      Heard about this on the news last night. I wonder if perhaps some local Party official in Hong Kong is playing at being hardline and is being overruled by his Party bosses in Beijing?
      I think this is entirely possible because I doubt that the Chinese national government would have played a game like this.

Several years ago when I was in Poland a friend and I were traveling around the country by train. We stopped in a rural train station for a transfer of trains and were taking pictures. A small town cop came up to us and told us we were under arrest for taking pictures at a transportation center, which was illegal back in the comrade days. I was nervous and shocked, but my Polish friend was not worried at all. He told me not to worry. He said old habits die slowly in the country side even though it had been a long time since the wall fell.

We were taken to the chief of the local transportation police who looked at us, two people who couldn't look less menacing. He asked the officer what we had done, and was told we were taking pictures of the trains and the station. The Chief started to smile. He clearly wasn't going to say anything to his employee, whom he was probably not wanting to embarrass, but he immediately tried to put us at ease. He asked small questions about what we were taking pictures of and why, and then said he gave us permission to take 10 photos each, smiled broadly, and thanked the officer and told him that it was Ok to let us go since we agreed to his conditions. It was a truly unexpected event. The old Police officer just had gotten the word that things had changed.

My point in saying this is that I can easily see how some local Chinese official could have been acting on his own. Either out of spite, or because he hadn't gotten the word about relations with the US Navy.

I really doubt the Chinese National government would want to create such an incident. My guess is that there will be some explanation coming from China.

I also wonder how this works with respect to the agreement with Britain over Hong Kong? I don't know anything about what the agreement stipulates.

Comment

I doubt there will be any official explantion forthcoming from the Chinese. This incident is just another example of the stratified command and control organs of the Chinese government. Miss Saigon your analogy is probably correct. But for the Chinese to publicly admit their government isn't functioning at 100% efficency just isn't going to happen.
        Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
        If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
          I doubt there will be any official explantion forthcoming from the Chinese. This incident is just another example of the stratified command and control organs of the Chinese government. Miss Saigon your analogy is probably correct. But for the Chinese to publicly admit their government isn't functioning at 100% efficency just isn't going to happen.
          I should have used the word "excuse" rather than explanation. I agree they will not admit to anything, but for the sake of good trade relations I expect them to make an excuse.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X