Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net gridlock by 2010 study warns

I certainly would hate to return to the bad ol' dial-up days

Consumer demand for bandwidth could see the internet running out of capacity as early as 2010, a new study warns.
    US analyst firm Nemertes Research predicted a drastic slowdown as the network struggles to cope with the amount of data being carried on it.

Such gridlock would drastically affect how people use the web and could mean the next Google or YouTube simply doesn't get off the ground, it said.

The report said billions needed to be spent upgrading broadband networks.

It put the figure at around $137bn (£66bn) globally.

For users, the slowdown could see a return to the bad old days of dial-up, the report predicts.
    [...]
    FULL ARTICLE - BBC NEWS

I think we need some internet light rail to take care of this problem

This sounds like someone who is about to call for government money for something.

I wouldn't worry about this situation. There is a lot of money being made in the internet, so there will be plenty of investment in it to keep the money flowing.

Comment

Ok you guys... just enable the bandwidth throttling on your BitTorrent downloads and the problem will magically disappear.

(I mean, I'll do that too... right after these next few are done....)
      "I am not an atomic playboy."
      Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

I pay good money for my bandwidth, and I couldn't care less how much it costs the providers to provide it.

They can just suck it up and use some of the money I've been giving them now for several years.

You can bet if they can't provide, they can kiss my dollars good bye too.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Net grid lock, global warming, overpopulation, stagnate wages, the world is going to heck in a hand basket.
          Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
          If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
            Net grid lock, global warming, overpopulation, stagnate wages, the world is going to heck in a hand basket.
            Exactly.

Comment

Hmm, I don't quite buy it, but it's worth some more research. Really, while some providers are sitting around, there are lots of companies laying ridiculous amounts of fiber to provide an upgraded bandwidth (in the US at least).

It's slow in the short term to get to the end user, but there's a reason that bandwidth costs (outside of what your cable or dsl company gouges you) are dropping like rocks.
              “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
                Hmm, I don't quite buy it, but it's worth some more research. Really, while some providers are sitting around, there are lots of companies laying ridiculous amounts of fiber to provide an upgraded bandwidth (in the US at least).

It's slow in the short term to get to the end user, but there's a reason that bandwidth costs (outside of what your cable or dsl company gouges you) are dropping like rocks.
                I saw something on Click, the BBC's tech program. It had a report on the actual infrastructure of the net and generally most of the main data routes (For example international ones) can handle vastly more data than they're being used for. The problem is on am ore local level, where you'd have to dig up miles of cabling to replace it to get the improved traffic through to homes.
                Winnie says
                ---------------------------------
                "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                Herr Flick.

Comment

Improve? This country needs to get some.
                  Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                    I certainly would hate to return to the bad ol' dial-up days

FULL ARTICLE - BBC NEWS
                    You mean in addition to all the electricity all over the world going out on New Years Day of 2010, that we will be facing a Net Gridlock as well?

Of course if the electricity does go out, then that would make perfect sense, wouldn't it?

Comment

A while back I saw material on a problem that might really come to pass.

Phone numbers.

Here at least, the numbers are a combination if 7 numbers, plus a preceeding 3 that give area code.

123-456-7890 in that form.

There was talk, that eventually the numerical possibilities would soon exceed the numbers of accounts required. And when they needed more numerical range, it would completely mangle paperwork needs everywhere. Because forms, both paper and electronic are formatted to accept only the above sequence.

Not really the end of the world, but clearly a major monetary hassle to fix.
                      Not as dire as Y2K, just a major hurdle to fix without enormous cost.

And I don't think we can use MacDonald's solution, and just leave the sign reading 99 billion served
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X