Shell Shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell Shock

Tonight on TV a series presented by Ian Hislop finished. It dealt mainly with servicemens experiences in the WW1. The final programme in part dealt with the mental trauma of war, both at that time and in comparision to today.

As we have Veterans as members i thought i would ask their views on the subject. If a specific question would help its this...

'Have you ever personally experienced what was known in WW1 as shell shock. If not yourself have any of your comrades or family experienced it?'

I know this is a sensative subject and difficult to discuss, but many recent Veterans seem to share the experiences of their distant comrades of the past, so it is important we try to understand what they are suffering.

Personally my Dad who 'fought' in both wars seemed ok, but was occasionally reticent in discussing how he felt. He did just once describe how as a young seaman (18) his ship was attacked with torpedoes and of his fascination in watching the tracks. Next to him was an old navy salt, veteran of many naval battles, who wept his heart out. Dad never commented except in in describing it.

If its not too painful, can members reply with their experiences.

thanks

Gary

'Have you ever personally experienced what was known in WW1 as shell shock. If not yourself have any of your comrades or family experienced it?'

Me? No. Family members perhaps but it would be titled and styled today as mild to medium forms of PTSD. Comrades? Yes a greater number then i'd like to recall but again thats titled PTSD not shell shock.

best
    CV

Comment

I some times wonder what is needed. Do you needed to see the killed and wounded? Do you have to kill? Is the fright and pain you see in faces enough to leave some mild form? How many rocket attacks and sapper probs do you need? Watching holes getting punched in the copter your ridding in? Getting attacked at the same time each day for 10 days in a row? What's needed? Maybe that's enough. War doesn't treat the participants with tenderness.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

We have a thread on this under the Vietnam section.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X