A Chance to Learn about the Sami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Chance to Learn about the Sami

A common sentiment expressed throughout this forum is that many members are here to learn. We have a unique opportunity to see into the lives of the Sami. Erkki (Eric), a member of this native Scandinavian group from the far North has graciously agreed to answer questions about his life and culture.
    The Sami “Wiki” link is below. Give it a read for the basic information about this interesting people.

I’ll start it off.

Eric, could you tell us a little about your life? Your Village? Could you run us through your typical day? If my question is to broad, feel free to address only a part of it.

Thanks,
    Hal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people
    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

I have some Sami blood. The movie Pathfinder from 1987 is about them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093668/

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
      A common sentiment expressed throughout this forum is that many members are here to learn. We have a unique opportunity to see into the lives of the Sami. Erkki (Eric), a member of this native Scandinavian group from the far North has graciously agreed to answer questions about his life and culture.
      The Sami “Wiki” link is below. Give it a read for the basic information about this interesting people.

I’ll start it off.

Eric, could you tell us a little about your life? Your Village? Could you run us through your typical day? If my question is to broad, feel free to address only a part of it.

Thanks,
      Hal
      My Sámi village is called Sierri , it is the smallest one in Sweden .Perhaps in the world.
      We are "skogs Samer" (translated directly : forest Sámi).
      There are a other category "fjälls Samer2 ( Mountain Sámi)
      The difference is that "fjäll Samer" moves there Reindeer down into the forest when winter come and up into the mountains when summer come.
      "Skogs Samer" however remain in the forest land the entire year.

The village I live in (not the Sámi Village) contains off three living houses , off which my family live in one and my grandfather and grandmother live in a other.
      The third one belong to our neighbor who is rarely here.

A typical day is unfortunately: a school day
      At the moment I is much at home , my mother and uncle are away and gathering the flock. My dad is feeding the reindeer that we already have gathered.
      “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Erkki,

I'm an addicted forager, and mushrooms are my little friends. I've read a lot about mushrooms.
        Is it true that Sami feed reindeers with Amanita Muscaria to obtain their urine and drink it to get high. This is because the Amanita Muscaria has two psychoactive agents, but it has got also poisonous ones. The reindeer is immune to both the psychoactive and poisonous agents, and the psychoactive agents are left intact in the urine, whereas the poisonous ones are eliminated.

In the past, Sami shamans used amanita to achive a state of trance. Can you confirm this?

Echo de menos mi isla.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheo View Post
          Erkki,

I'm an addicted forager, and mushrooms are my little friends. I've read a lot about mushrooms.
          Is it true that Sami feed reindeer with Amanita Muscaria to obtain their urine and drink it to get high. This is because the Amanita Muscaria has two psychoactive agents, but it has got also poisonous ones. The reindeer is immune to both the psychoactive and poisonous agents, and the psychoactive agents are left intact in the urine, whereas the poisonous ones are eliminated.

In the past, Sami shamans used amanita to achive a state of trance. Can you confirm this?

It is the first time I ever hear about it!
          Maybe Russian or Finnish Sámi do this but I have never heard about Norwegian and Swedish Sámi doing this.
          I will check with my grandparents if they know anything.

Reindeer do consume a lot of mushroom but they leave Aminita Muscuria . At least to my knowledge.

Shamans putting themselves into trans? They could have done it. I will hear with my grandparents.

PS: in Sweden we call Aminita Muscuria :flygswamp / flieswamp
          “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Hi Erik. Just a few simple questions.

How do you earn a living in such a remote place?

Given that your village is so small, where do you go to school?

What kind of house do you live in?

How do you get internet?

Do you get bored being in the middle of nowhere?

How often do you travel outside of your home area?

Do you speak your native language as well as Swedish?

Do you identify yourselfas more Swedish or Sami?

Thanks
            Last edited by Miss Saigon; 18 Nov 07, 08:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
              Hi Erik. Just a few simple questions.

How do you earn a living in such a remote place?
              We robe tourists . just kidding Actually we sell reindeer meat and my dad work as a swim instructor.

Given that your village is so small, where do you go to school?
              In a bigger village . Jokkmokk

What kind of house do you live in?
              A white brick house with basement

How do you get internet?
              By the cell phone net ( I can insure you : it is slow!)

Do you get bored being in the middle of nowhere?
              Yes I do.

How often do you travel outside of your home area?
              Depends what you , to school three miles away five times a weak , longer than that 2-3 time a month , outside Sweden: never

Do you speak your native language as well as Swedish?
              Unfortunately I don´t

Do you identify yourselfas more Swedish or Sami?
              More as a Sámi

Thanks
              Your welcome

Max Sterner

Comment

Erkki, do you mean mile or mil? 'cos three miles sounded little to me.

Three miles = 4,8km, three mil (Swedish n' stands for 10km) = 30km = 48 miles.
                The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
                ----
                We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

I mean mil.

Max Sterner

Comment

I understod that as I'm familiar with the distances here. Swedish mil isn't used outside Sweden so people outside Scandinavia would asume that it was miles. Km though is international known.

Just thought that it would be good to clarify it.
                    The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
                    ----
                    We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Buoris Erkki
                      Do they speak Lule Sami in your area?
                      When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
                      Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by M.Joensen View Post
                        Buoris Erkki
                        Do they speak Lule Sami in your area?
                        Buoris M.Joensen

Yes they do.

Max Sterner

Comment

I've heard Laplanders used for the all the Sami before today. Shame on me for not finding out more. I am assuming (knowing what they say happens when you assume) that all the dialects of Sami are understood by each Sami, but what other language does Sami most closely resemble?
                          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Language, dialect or variety?

Is Lule Sami a separate language or a dialect? Is Swedish a variant of Danish? It's difficult to know how to determine what is a language and what isn't.

Depending on how you classify languages and dialects, there are said to be between 2,000 and 6,000 languages in the world. If we consider Swedish and Norwegian to be two different languages, then Sami should also be subdivided into several languages. However, as the Sami are a relatively small group of people, the decision has been taken to refer to all the variants of Sami as one Sami language, and to divide the language into three main dialects.

Nine dialects
                            The three main dialects are in turn divided into nine dialects or varieties, as they are also referred to by linguists. The main Sami dialects are: Eastern Sami, Central Sami and Southern Sami.

Linguistic frontiers not the same as national borders
                            The fact that the frontiers for the Sami linguistic areas do not coincide with the national boundaries is a clear sign that the national borders in the north splintered the Sami's areas. Eastern Sami dialects are spoken on the Kola Peninsula in Russia; Central Sami dialects are spoken in Finland, Norway and Sweden; Southern Sami dialects are spoken in Norway and Sweden. Northern Sami, Lule Sami and Arjeplog Sami (belonging to the main Central Sami dialect), Southern Sami and Ume Sami (a variety with linguistic features of both southern and northern origin) are all spoken in Sweden. The boundaries between the different varieties are not clearly defined, but rather tend to change gradually.

Northern Sami the largest
                            Northern Sami has the most speakers, being spoken by an estimated 15-17,000 people across the entire Sami area, of which 5-6,000 are in Sweden. Northern Sami has also spread into Lule Sami and Southern Sami areas as a result of the authorities' forcible relocation of Northern Sami people to these areas during the 1930s.

Difficult to understand each other
                            One estimate is that around 500 people speak Lule Sami and a similar number speak Southern Sami. The differences that exist mean that a Sami from one area may have difficulty understanding a Sami from another area. The differences are comparable with the differences between Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. People who have grown accustomed to a different dialect can talk with each other, while others find it more difficult to communicate. The differences between the varieties located furthest away from each other - the Sami language in the east and Sami in the south - are almost as great as the differences between Swedish and German.

Source: Sami Information Centre
                            When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
                            Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
                              We robe tourists . just kidding
                              Do you get many tourists way up there?

Actually we sell reindeer meat
                              Is reindeer meet tasty?

In a bigger village . Jokkmokk
                              I am glad that Mccoy pointed out the Mil thing, because I thought you meant miles and it didn't sound that far away. Now I realize you travel quite a distance to go to school. Although his conversion from Kilometers to miles was backward

How many students are there in your school? Is it a Sami school or Swedish? Do you study Sami subjects at school or a typical Swedish program?

A white brick house with basement
                              Is this typical Sami construction or modern Swedish?

By the cell phone net ( I can insure you : it is slow!)
                              I feel your pain. I could never go back to telephone internet.

Yes I do.
                              What do you do for entertainment?

longer than that 2-3 time a month , outside Sweden: never
                              Have you ever been to Stockholm?

You need to hook yourself up with some of those flying reindeer like Santa Claus has so that you can travel more

More as a Sámi
                              Are there ever any Sami get togethers where you meet Sami's from other places like Norway, Finland or Russia?

Do people actually dress like this anymore?

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 18 Nov 07, 18:10.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X